Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish families to take in Iraqi families

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Fair play to them, Kevin Myers will hate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't blame Myers if he does hate this. It's America and Britain's and the rest of the war mongers' mess. It's disgraceful that the west has caused this kind of misery and displacement of a people. Cost a fortune this.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

walshb wrote: »
    I don't blame Myers if he does hate this. It's America and Britain's and the rest of the war mongers' mess. It's disgraceful that the west has caused this kind of misery and displacement of a people. Cost a fortune this.

This mess was caused by Obama pulling out the troops which took the pressure off the jihadists who have now carved out an Islamic State.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    This mess was caused by Obama pulling out the troops which took the pressure off the jihadists who have now carved out an Islamic State.

Actually all this was caused by the american army invading iraq in the eighties and killing over a million people and this destroyed iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Good to see our government will be helping people effected by the conflict in Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    Actually all this was caused by the american army invading iraq in the eighties and killing over a million people and this destroyed iraq

Iraq did invade Kuwait.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Iraq did invade Kuwait.

Yea and iran bcuz the american government told them to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

That was a good episode of the x-files.

They invaded Kuwait for money and oil. Saudai Arabia got nervous and asked for help and allowed American troops to setup a base there. So they were asked to intervene.

They invaded Kuwait for money and oil. Saudai Arabia got nervous and asked for help and allowed American troops to setup a base there. So they were asked to intervene.

Yea the american government wanted the oil and iraq already had tons of oil. This helped the oil prices going up which increased the revenue for oil companies and the saudi government took part in this

• Advertisement

Actually all this was caused by the american army invading iraq in the eighties and killing over a million people

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Iraq invaded Iran via air and land on 22 September 1980 and the resulting war lasted until 20 August 1988.

Iraq invaded Kuwait on 2 August 1990 and an US led coalition of Western and Arab states ejected the Iraqis before the conflict came to an end in 28 February 1991.

Iraq had massive stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons and was seeking nuclear arms for many years prior to 1991 and UN inspectors were authorized to investigate and destroy them.

Saddam ignored repeated UN resolutions and in 2003 all the major world powers were convinced Saddam still possessed them but this could not be verified unless inspectors were admitted.

When Hans Blix and his team were finally let in under threat of force, Saddam and his regime continued to hold up and interfere in inspections. Hans Blix briefed the UN of this fact.

UN resolution 1441 authorize military force to be used if Iraq did not co-operate. Iraq did not co-operate but China and Russia and France opposed military force. The US ignored them and went ahead and overthrew Saddam.

The US introduced a constitution which was overwhelmingly accepted by Iraqi voters and introduced a democratic local government system, national parliament, Prime Minister and President all of whom have since been repeated elected by millions of Iraqis. Independent courts sentenced Saddam and his henchmen for crimes against humanity.

While US forces were pacifying Iraq they and the Iraqi security forces and also hundreds of thousands of Iraqis were attacked and killed by Islamist terrorists.

Bush warned that US military commitment in Iraq would last decades just as the US were committed to Japan and Germany post WW2 and oversaw their transition to democracy and freedom. He predicted that if troops were withdrawn too soon the country would be taken over by Islamic terrorists.

Obama riding a wave of cynicism and anti-war sentiment entered the White House promising a withdrawal from Iraq.

He withdrew the troops and since then Iraq has collapsed as Islamists have taken over just as Bush predicted.

This mess was created by Saddam who launched delusion wars of conquest and by Islamist who are determined to create an Islamic Caliphate and by the utterly irresponsible decision of Obama to wash his hands of the country and abandon the Iraqi people to terrorists.

Iraq invaded Iran via air and land on 22 September 1980 and the resulting war lasted until 20 August 1988.

Iraq invaded Kuwait on 2 August 1990 and an US led coalition of Western and Arab states ejected the Iraqis before the conflict came to an end in 28 February 1991.

Iraq had massive stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons and was seeking nuclear arms for many years prior to 1991 and UN inspectors were authorized to investigate and destroy them.

Saddam ignored repeated UN resolutions and in 2003 all the major world powers were convinced Saddam still possessed them but this could not be verified unless inspectors were admitted.

When Hans Blix and his team were finally let in under threat of force, Saddam and his regime continued to hold up and interfere in inspections. Hans Blix briefed the UN of this fact.

UN resolution 1441 authorize military force to be used if Iraq did not co-operate. Iraq did not co-operate but China and Russia and France opposed military force. The US ignored them and went ahead and overthrew Saddam.

The US introduced a constitution which was overwhelmingly accepted by Iraqi voters and introduced a democratic local government system, national parliament, Prime Minister and President all of whom have since been repeated elected by millions of Iraqis. Independent courts sentenced Saddam and his henchmen for crimes against humanity.

While US forces were pacifying Iraq they and the Iraqi security forces and also hundreds of thousands of Iraqis were attacked and killed by Islamist terrorists.

Bush warned that US military commitment in Iraq would last decades just as the US were committed to Japan and Germany posed WW2 and oversaw their transition to democracy and freedom. He predicted that if troops were withdrawn too soon the country would be taken over by Islamic terrorists.

Obama riding a wave of cynicism and anti-war sentiment entered the White House promising a withdrawal from Iraq.

He withdrew the troops and since then Iraq has collapsed as Islamists have taken over just as Bush predicted.

This mess was created by Saddam and by Islamists and by the utterly irresponsible decision of Obama to wash his hands of the country and abandon the Iraqi people to terrorists.

Where you getting all this? From the media?

You clearly dont know how peaceful iraq was before the us army invaded. Did saddam hussein kill a million people? Guess not it was the us army.

The iraqi prime minister discriminated sunnis and kurds which led to this . Even the iraqi ayotollah told him to leave. You sir clearly dont know politics . Listening to the US biased media

I dont hate america but the corrupt government and media

Yea the american government wanted the oil and iraq already had tons of oil. This helped the oil prices going up which increased the revenue for oil companies and the saudi government took part in this

Americas concern was if he pushed into Saudai Arabia he would hold all the oil fields in the region and he could cause influence in the American market through this control.

Ill leave it here as i dont want lead this thread off topic and to avoid massive conflicts over opinions

Americas concern was if he pushed into Saudai Arabia he would hold all the oil fields in the region and he could cause influence in the American market through this control.

You see the oil companies have reps that influence the us government. Ill leave it here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER:
    The topic of this thread is: "Irish families to take in Iraqi families." Can we please get back on topic?

Black Swan wrote: »
    MOD REMINDER:
    The topic of this thread is: "Irish families to take in Iraqi families." Can we please get back on topic?

Thats what i said above so i left the debate

I doubt if any Irish people could care less about taking in Iraqi families.

100,000 Irish people marched in opposition to the overthrow of Saddam Hussein who was mass murdering the Iraqis because they were apparently fine with leaving Iraqis living under a sadistic regime.
    They gave Obama a huge welcome in College Green so I presume they were happy with the troops being withdrawn and handing the Islamic terrorists a victory.
    For the past few weeks ISIS have been butchering Iraqis by the thousands and not a peep out of the Irish people.
    However when Israel is showered with rockets by Islamic terrorists a few thousand Irish turned out to tell the Israelis to stop defending themselves and let Hamas kill as many Jews as they like.

So I can't see the Irish people giving a curse about the Iraqis. If the economy picks up here and Iraqis start arriving here in droves they'll probably kick up about them taking all their jobs I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wes wrote: »
    Good to see our government will be helping people effected by the conflict in Iraq.

Indeed. Considering the numbers of refugees taken in over the Middle East, taking in a few here is hardly a major undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Harold Weiss

But you do Azwaldo55 despite omitting culpability of Israeli lobbies in US and EU that pushed for the invasion of Iraq and destabilization of the Middle East in general.

Israel won't be taking any Iraqi families, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

But you do Azwaldo55 despite omitting culpability of Israeli lobbies in US and EU that pushed for the invasion of Iraq and destabilization of the Middle East in general.

Israel won't be taking any Iraqi families, that's for sure.

What in the name of jaysus does that have to do with the story in the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Harold Weiss

What in the name of jaysus does that have to do with the story in the OP?

Plenty to anyone familiar with the situation in the Middle East.

I suppose you think Iraqis want to leave their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Has Saudi Arabia, Qatar or UAE taken any refugees?

I’m sure they’d settle better in a middle eastern Muslim country.

For assimilation purposes, I think it would be best to take in only Christians.

Some might call that racist or whatever, but ask yourself this….Do the Japanese or South Koreans ever take in any refugees?

I’d like to keep the amount of people coming in at a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

sin_city wrote: »
    Has Saudi Arabia, Qatar or UAE taken any refugees?

I’m sure they’d settle better in a middle eastern Muslim country.

For assimilation purposes, I think it would be best to take in only Christians.

Some might call that racist or whatever, but ask yourself this….Do the Japanese or South Koreans ever take in any refugees?

I’d like to keep the amount of people coming in at a minimum.

Sectarianism.

What the Japanese or Koreans do is irrelevant to us. What Saudi and the gulf states do is irrelevant to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Nodin wrote: »
    Sectarianism.

What the Japanese or Koreans do is irrelevant to us. What Saudi and the gulf states do is irrelevant to us.

The Japanese and Koreans have made a decision not to take into too many non-Japanese or Koreans into their country.

Are they racist for doing so? They don’t have any issues regarding Islamic fundamentalism in those countries from what I know. Am I wrong?

Many people in Ireland would like that when the country is struggling with debt that the last thing we need is to bring in people who will initially at least be a drain on the welfare state.

If we’re going to take in refugees it would make sense that they have stuff in common with us.

If Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states take in a lot of refugees that are Muslim then there would be less pressure on other countries to do so.

The people in Iraq would be far better off going to a place that spoke the same language, had a similar culture and climate than not….do you disagree with this?

Of course decisions like this are relevant to not only Ireland but all countries. It is simple mathematics regarding the number of refugees.

If you’re going to say something at least give an argument to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

It can also be argued that expatriating Syrian/iraqi refugees just harms the country in the long term.

In Iraq, the Christian community are apparently above average in income, education & career prospects..
    They are disproportionately represented in law, medicine & business.

The long term success of both nations depends on its best people staying & working to rebuild.

Moving large numbers of minorities, though well meaning I think weakens the country overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wonder will they house them in houses that were taken from Irish people for not keeping up their mortgage payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

walshb wrote: »
    I wonder will they house them in houses that were taken from Irish people for not keeping up their mortgage payments?

No.... They will forcibly evict you & your family specifically.

Its all over the news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sin_city wrote: »
    The Japanese and Koreans have made a decision not to take into too many non-Japanese or Koreans into their country.

Are they racist for doing so? They don’t have any issues regarding Islamic fundamentalism in those countries from what I know. Am I wrong?

Many people in Ireland would like that when the country is struggling with debt that the last thing we need is to bring in people who will initially at least be a drain on the welfare state.

If we’re going to take in refugees it would make sense that they have stuff in common with us.

If Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states take in a lot of refugees that are Muslim then there would be less pressure on other countries to do so.

The people in Iraq would be far better off going to a place that spoke the same language, had a similar culture and climate than not….do you disagree with this?

Of course decisions like this are relevant to not only Ireland but all countries. It is simple mathematics regarding the number of refugees.

If you’re going to say something at least give an argument to support it.

Does Ireland have a problem with Muslim fundamentalists? I must have missed this.

Maybe it's my inability to speak Muslim, like they do in the middle east, that makes me oblivious to it all.

Advertisement