Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a second hand boat - Overwhelmed

Options
  • 09-08-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

So I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would like to buy a second hand boat.
    I thought it would be easy to figure out something nice and easy to start with, but the more I look, the more I realize I havent a clue.

Im looking to spend about 5k - 7k and hoping to get a nice river or sea boat that a family of three could spend the weekend on (sleeping on the boat, cooking etc).

Is it even possible to get a boat that would fit those criteria?

Ive seen a few that sleep 2 but not sure where to go for slightly bigger in my price range.

I would also be looking for the price to include a trailer if possible.

So far Ive only been able to see them from outside a Marina. What would help is if there are show rooms with boats that I could have a look at. I dont really want to be calling in wasting peoples time who are selling boats yet though, until i know what I want.

Im based in Dublin, but would travel if there was somewhere i could have a walk around and look at different boats, so long as i wasnt annoying a salesman at this point.

Can anyone help me narrow down my options on even if there are boats that would suit within my budget.

Was looking at something like this, but it might be too small for 3 people to sleep on. And it doesnt seem to have a cover, but i dont know if it would be expensive to get one.

apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=37447

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

asingrang wrote: »

Could this be appropriate?

www(dot)leinsterboats(dot)ie/boat.php?id=75
    Cant post URLS as I'm a new user :/

The thing is, you don't really seem to be spoiled for choice. I can only really find zodiac rigs, and used ones at that, for your price range.
    Best of luck anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 asingrang

Yeah I think I may be looking for a while.

Just one more question. Since its a motor cruiser that I am planning on getting, is there any beginner course that I could do, just to make sure im competent before i even think about taking the family out on one?

Around Dublin would be the best if there is one, and how much would it cost?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Something like the shetland family 4 would suit your needs, most marinas will have a sales office and would welcome anyone coming in with a few quid to spend so don't feel like your putting anyone out, instead of going for the coast I would head inland to somewhere like Athlone where the boat has been used in fresh water and you have a few marinas to pick from.

A powerboat course will teach you all the basics and if you want you can go on from there http://www.powerboatschool.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I thought it would be easy to figure out something nice and easy to start with, but the more I look, the more I realize I havent a clue.

Im looking to spend about 5k - 7k and hoping to get a nice river or sea boat that a family of three could spend the weekend on (sleeping on the boat, cooking etc).

Ive seen a few that sleep 2 but not sure where to go for slightly bigger in my price range.

I would also be looking for the price to include a trailer if possible.

So far Ive only been able to see them from outside a Marina. What would help is if there are show rooms with boats that I could have a look at. I dont really want to be calling in wasting peoples time who are selling boats yet though, until i know what I want.

Im based in Dublin, but would travel if there was somewhere i could have a walk around and look at different boats, so long as i wasnt annoying a salesman at this point.

Can anyone help me narrow down my options on even if there are boats that would suit within my budget.

Was looking at something like this, but it might be too small for 3 people to sleep on. And it doesnt seem to have a cover, but i dont know if it would be expensive to get one.

apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=37447

Call Ronan at Leinster boats, he not only sells boats but will also advise you on what would be most suitable for your needs.
    He will also be able to recommend a surveyor who shall look at the boat prior to purchase and asses its seaworthiness and condition. This can be invaluable in determining whether the boat is fit for purpose or not.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Im going to do that course first anyway.
    Safety first :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks for the help guys.
    Im going to do that course first anyway.
    Safety first :)

If you can get a few guys/girls together you can get a good deal on the course.
    Best of luck it's well worth the few quid and will also stand to you when you go to get insurance.

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you can get a few guys/girls together you can get a good deal on the course.
    Best of luck it's well worth the few quid and will also stand to you when you go to get insurance.

Thanks. If it was just me id probably just jump in, but when the family will be on the boat its better to be safe and get some lessons i think.

I think you guys are right about the rivers and lakes too. I probably dont want to be going out on the sea just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

You could always put up a wanted ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

First you probably need to decide what would suit you and your family. Decide on inland cruising or sea and buy based on that decision. Also you need to make a decision whether you are having a trailer based boat (ie pretty much launch to use) or a boat moored in a marina. The marina option adds cost obviously but depending on your home and grounds storing a boat on a trailer could be hassle, towing needs a car/van suitable for the job and don't underestimate how much hassle launching/recovering a larger boat could be for a novice.

It certainly would be possible to get a smaller river cruiser for this sort of money, capable of sleeping 2 adults and a child. with cooker/toilet etc. However you will be buying at the older/tattier end of the market, and they most likely won't come with a trailer nor are the really suitable for launching as needed.

Something like this:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat-for-sale/7095138

But the boat purchase is just the start! Boats need constant maintenance and money spent on them, some of the cost can be mitigated if you care handy yourself and enjoy doing the work, but Ireland is littered with half finished "boat projects" and sad neglected boats that the owner no longer had time/money/interest for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have been looking around for something similar and I think you'll struggle to find something for that money that accomodates 3 while being suitable for sea/coastal use. The Shetland Family 4 is about as good as it gets but you would require a large enough engine which will have associated costs.

However if you stick to canal/river/lake use there are a number of diesel powered cruisers that suit. I always liked the Elysian 27's with a centre or aft cockpit:

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/elysian-cruiser/7438898

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/elysian-27-for-sale/7424876

Also search for seamaster 27's

http://www.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=357820

Eastwood 24s, freeman 23's and 26's etc.

All of these will sleep 4 and most will offer a full galley, pump out W/C and shower. All are pretty old however so a survey is recommended.

The inland waterways are a great safe place to learn the basics. The Grand Canal is a bit boring but the Barrow is beautiful. The royal canal is supposed to be lovely and the Shannon/Erne is great.

• Advertisement

This one also looks good and it's mooring is paid till next may.http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat-sea-master/7478023

• Registered Users Posts: 25 yobbo

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I grew up with a freeman 23. It was a great boat to learn the basics on. Could easily sleep 3 and had been out in it in some terrible conditions.

It had a perkins 4108 which was a lovely engine and brilliant for learning the basics on. Have since moved on to a bigger boat but often think back to this and what a great boat it was.

This one also looks good and it's mooring is paid till next may.

Thanks for that.
    Its decided now by the mrs that i am to do that course first before i buy a boat :)
    so looking forward to it.

Roughly, How much would that mooring cost for the whole year if i was to keep a boat there after buying it?
    What would it cost to store the boat out of the water for the winter?

Thanks for that.
    Its decided now by the mrs that i am to do that course first before i buy a boat :)
    so looking forward to it.

Roughly, How much would that mooring cost for the whole year if i was to keep a boat there after buying it?
    What would it cost to store the boat out of the water for the winter?

In and around €1000 a year, it will depend on how big the boat is and what marina you use.

In and around €1000 a year, it will depend on how big the boat is and what marina you use.

Wow, that isnt cheap

It depends on how you look at it, if you have to tow a heavy boat a lot to get to the water it will cost a few quid in fuel you will also have the handiness of having the boat ready to go whenever you feel like going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wow, that isnt cheap
    The absolute cheapest quote I could get for the summer mooring and winter lift, hard standing and relaunch was 1250. If the boat needs anti foul and winerizing by a professional marine mechanic this would obviously cost more. Also factor in that on these older boats things will be going wrong all the time, pumps, electrics,lights, fridges, ropes fenders, engines, stern gear etc. if you are the DIY type theses costs can be reduced, but otherwise they all add up to quite a bit.

However, anything much bigger than a speedboat will be very difficult to launch and recover yourself every weekend, and also factor into it where you can securely store the boat and trailer when not in use.

So my neighbour has been following my dipping the toe into boating, and am coming round to the idea of starting small and practising first.

And it turns out he has a friend who had a very nice little 15ft speedboat for sale in Waterford, which i collected yesterday (I wont be going too fast to start with).

Now i am faced with the problem of finding a place to bring it down to the see next weekend or the weekend after.

I live in Meath, so i was thinking Skerries or Balbriggan for my first launch.

I know i can park the car in skerries, but what do i do with the trailer while the boat is out.

Or is there a slip any further North that I could use that would be both easy to launch and retrieve the boat and with free parking for the car and trailer while i am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Fergal.b would know the best area to launch and recover around there.
    Also please make sure the boat is fully tested before you head out to sea, engine running and pumping water (if in doubt have a local mechanic check it over), anchor and rope on board, oars for pushing off the beach and life jackets for everyone on board. It would also be a good idea to buy a chart of the local area and study where is safe to go. Happy boating!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Glenalla wrote: »
    Fergal.b would know the best area to launch and recover around there.
    Also please make sure the boat is fully tested before you head out to sea, engine running and pumping water (if in doubt have a local mechanic check it over), anchor and rope on board, oars for pushing off the beach and life jackets for everyone on board. It would also be a good idea to buy a chart of the local area and study where is safe to go. Happy boating!

A handheld VHF radio (and a course in using it) would be a good idea also.

• Advertisement

Balbriggan is very tide dependent and is a very messy slip you may also come back from your day out and find a car parked on the slip :eek:
    Skerries is a lot better but they don't allow speedboats ;) if your not messing about and causing trouble you should be ok " I didn't say that" :) you will need someone to hold the boat while you park the trailer as there is nowhere to tie up, I usually park up at red island. The RNLI in Skerries are a good bunch of guy's and if you ask nicely they will give your boat a safety check and you can let them know where you are going and when you will be back. It might also be worth putting this on your phone http://www.sailing.ie/Cruising/ISASafeTrx.aspx

370.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

You could try broadmeadows estuary in malahide. There's a couple of slips near malahide and swords sailing clubs and they're generally not busy. It's a shallow estuary and pretty sheltered so perfect to get used to the boat.

Congrats on the purchase, this thread needs pictures!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ferris wrote: »
    You could try broadmeadows estuary in malahide. There's a couple of slips near malahide and swords sailing clubs and they're generally not busy. It's a shallow estuary and pretty sheltered so perfect to get used to the boat.

Congrats on the purchase, this thread needs pictures!

Speed boats and jet skis are prohibited on the estuary

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

go up to enniskillen in co fermanagh there are plenty of boat companys up there to get the right boat . and plenty of mooring sites at the best price you are going to get any where in ireland it,s only a 2 hour drive . as you know i spent time researching this and found the best place to keep a boat is in enniskillen and i am not the only dublin guy there . here,s a few photo,s of where i have my boat . it in castle archdale co fermanagh . if you need any more advice just let me know .they say co fermanagh is the boating capital of ireland so there is a lot of morring sites that are looking for your custom i hear last week the a mooring site right in the heart of enniskillen was sending out flyer,s for mooring your boat in his mooring it was only 5 pound a week .

lockmaster wrote: »
    go up to enniskillen in co fermanagh there are plenty of boat companys up there to get the right boat . and plenty of mooring sites at the best price you are going to get any where in ireland it,s only a 2 hour drive . as you know i spent time researching this and found the best place to keep a boat is in enniskillen and i am not the only dublin guy there . here,s a few photo,s of where i have my boat . it in castle archdale co fermanagh . if you need any more advice just let me know .they say co fermanagh is the boating capital of ireland so there is a lot of morring sites that are looking for your custom i hear last week the a mooring site right in the heart of enniskillen was sending out flyer,s for mooring your boat in his mooring it was only 5 pound a week .

That looks lovely. Nice pics.

Can anyone tell me where to buy life jackets in Dublin.

Are there boat shops around that I could have a wander around?

Thanks for that app.

On Red Island do you just park the car and trailer beside each other in the normal car spaces?

If I chicken out of the "sea trials" are there any lakes with slipways that I could try out on.
    I was in Malahide today just having a look around and the sea is looking scary.

Maybe ive missed the summer, i dont know if i'll have to work or not the next few weekends either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can anyone tell me where to buy life jackets in Dublin.

Are there boat shops around that I could have a wander around?

Thanks for that app.

On Red Island do you just park the car and trailer beside each other in the normal car spaces?

If I chicken out of the "sea trials" are there any lakes with slipways that I could try out on.
    I was in Malahide today just having a look around and the sea is looking scary.

Maybe ive missed the summer, i dont know if i'll have to work or not the next few weekends either.
    There are a fair few places, Union Chandlery in Malahide, Sutton Marine in Sutton, Marine parts direct on the old airport road in Swords, just for starters.

I was thinking about slips in North County Dublin today, and think Howth would probably be your best bet, not sure if you need to be a member of HYC to use it though. That got me to thinking that if you are not familiar with boating, you should do some research/a course on the rules around boating, e.g. if you are a boat under power and you came across a pile of sailing boats under sail power, they have rights over you. Conversely if a giant ferry/commercial vessel is sailing into your path they have rights over you. Not knowing some of those rules, could be problematic. There's a few basic rules you'd want to be aware of.

I know nothing of rules for lakes/rivers, but I imagine the same would apply.

And definitely get a radio just in case.

Stheno wrote: »
    There are a fair few places, Union Chandlery in Malahide, Sutton Marine in Sutton, Marine parts direct on the old airport road in Swords, just for starters.

I was thinking about slips in North County Dublin today, and think Howth would probably be your best bet, not sure if you need to be a member of HYC to use it though. That got me to thinking that if you are not familiar with boating, you should do some research/a course on the rules around boating, e.g. if you are a boat under power and you came across a pile of sailing boats under sail power, they have rights over you. Conversely if a giant ferry/commercial vessel is sailing into your path they have rights over you. Not knowing some of those rules, could be problematic. There's a few basic rules you'd want to be aware of.

I know nothing of rules for lakes/rivers, but I imagine the same would apply.

And definitely get a radio just in case.
    They *might* have rights over you :D

Depends on a lot of things.

But yes, learning the basics of the "rules of the (watery) road" would be a very good idea indeed.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They *might* have rights over you :D

Depends on a lot of things.

But yes, learning the basics of the "rules of the (watery) road" would be a very good idea indeed.

God, I'm going to have to look that up :o I was always told they'd rights regardless

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    God, I'm going to have to look that up :o I was always told they'd rights regardless

Nope.

But if there's a great big ferry/tanker steaming in my general direction, regardless of rights in a game of chicken I'll usually blink first :D:D:D

Advertisement