Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls - now have details

Options
  • 14-08-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Just had one off those 'Microsoft' scam calls to the house phone. The guy got really abusive with me when I said I knew it was a scam. They knew the surname and address of the house and I'm wondering if anyone might know how they'd have that info? Happened to a family member of mine not long ago too who had told me that no one even had their house phone number. So anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Tell him to bring you home cooked Indian Dishes when he comes to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I wonder do we all have the same phone provider - we changed providers over two years ago (we're ex directory) and the calls began.

In fairness, I had a fella call me a "mother***ing c**nt" when I led him on for twenty minutes only to tell him I was running Linux :)

deelite wrote: »
    I wonder do we all have the same phone provider - we changed providers over two years ago (we're ex directory) and the calls began.

They probably dial random numbers so being ex directory has nothing to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Muir wrote: »
    Just had one off those 'Microsoft' scam calls to the house phone. The guy got really abusive with me when I said I knew it was a scam. They knew the surname and address of the house and I'm wondering if anyone might know how they'd have that info? Happened to a family member of mine not long ago too who had told me that no one even had their house phone number. So anyone any ideas?

Eircom phonebook :confused:
    http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

And going ex-directory won't help you either! They ring my gaff asking for my father who is 10 years dead.

Haven't heard from them in a while now, the call blocker I got off amazon seems to be working. There are about 20 different numbers they call from so took a while to block them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I always tell them I don't have a computer, but I do have a broken microwave that I'd like them to take a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I have a vuvuzela for calls like this....

Draw them in slowly. Complain that hd disk is making a clicking sound....but its hard to hear it ......then blast the vuvu down the line....

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Number isn't listed and never has been. Same with my family member, she only had that number and address for a very short time and it isn't the same phone provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Yeah they have a multitude of phone numbers they call off, quite irritating.
    Gave me oul fella an awful scare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

kyote00 wrote: »

Draw them in slowly. Complain that hd disk is making a clicking sound....but its hard to hear it ......then blast the vuvu down the line....

That....Is a brilliant Idea.

Now I just have to wait for the phonecall..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You probably entered a competition or gave your details to the wrong people. Enter any facebook competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Not with the house phone number and I'd be pretty careful anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

How do I sign up? I'm quite lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I cant wait for these scammers to ring me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

They never ring me. I feel left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I'd love one of these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speak back with an Nigerian accent:
    "Yes, you can help me. But I need your bank account details first so I can transfer 1 million dollars to you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

srsly78 wrote: »
    And going ex-directory won't help you either! They ring my gaff asking for my father who is 10 years dead.

Haven't heard from them in a while now, the call blocker I got off amazon seems to be working. There are about 20 different numbers they call from so took a while to block them all.

It was just Irish psychics live. They probably got a wrong number. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

kyote00 wrote: »

mines a rather sharp whistle, left from my daays as a referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

flutered wrote: »
    mines a rather sharp whistle, left from my daays as a referee.

Yes my parents get lots of calls from them allthe time.

My mother led one on one day. He was telling her she had a hard drive problem.

The only hard drive they d n aware of is the tarmac outside!
    He got pissed off with her once he started asking for bank details and she told him she didn't have a computer.

Usually she ends the call telling them to hang on.tthere while she gets the credit card details.
    Then hangs up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Never had a call like this before.

Where do I sign up?

Awful bored tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I got two or three of these calls the year I was back home at my parents, led them on for a bit out of boredom and loneliness more than anything else.

My dad used to always pretend he was a man working in the house for any calls like this, he used to get really into the whole role play element, would go into huge detail about the work he's doing on the electrics around the place.

If it weren't for the people actually getting scammed by these things, they'd be a fun little novelty to everyday life. I always answer really suspect looking numbers when they come in hoping for one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I got one of these calls but the Indian guy hung up when I told him that I pulled down my pants and flashed the Bios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

I had one of this crowd announce to me on the phone that the call was being recorded for 'Government security reasons'... I asked her was it the UK government, to which she replied 'yes it is sir'...

me: 'Im in the republic of Ireland..'

long silence

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

I got one of these calls last week. I asked him if he was Nigerian royalty, at first he said no, then when I told him I would only talk if I could call him Your Highness, he admitted he was royalty. When he realised I knew it was a scam, he started talking in a sexual way, telling me what he'd like to do to me. Being a recovering Catholic, nothing shocks me, so I played along. It ended up like a conversation from a sex line (or so I'm told) and after I got bored and hung up, he phoned back three more times.
    The worst thing is, there are people who are taken in by this scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I am as serene as the Dalai Lama taking a long shyte thanks to the amount of stress I get rid of in swearing matches with those scammers. They are about the only people who ring our landline anymore, so I usually grab the phone and get comfy for a good 10 minute rant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I am as serene as the Dalai Lama taking a long shyte thanks to the amount of stress I get rid of in swearing matches with those scammers. They are about the only people who ring our landline anymore, so I usually grab the phone and get comfy for a good 10 minute rant...

How do you get them to stay on the line for a 10 minute rant. Once I start they just hang up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Larbre34 wrote: »

That was my initial intension to try and keep him on the phone for as long as possible, we had a slight misunderstanding about windows and the opening and closing, he was talking about Operating systems, I was talking about the broken one in our bathroom, very confusing altogether but as soon as I mentioned the Bios, he was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

If you have a no and a general area ring up some of the local takeaways. They always give out the address.

Advertisement