Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was in the Gypsy Rose recently - first time in a while ... €6 A PINT !!!! ... WTF ? ... last time I was there it was ALL drinks €4 regardless ... needless to say , I'll give it a miss from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The thread front page needs a few tweaks/additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not a fan of punk, but The Thomas House is one of my favourite rock bars in Dublin. It's not always playing Punk either, there's a lot of random stuff played at different times and the vibe of the place is class. Craft beers on tap and in bottles too, which suits me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Gypsy is an awful kip these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of punk, but The Thomas House is one of my favourite rock bars in Dublin. It's not always playing Punk either, there's a lot of random stuff played at different times and the vibe of the place is class. Craft beers on tap and in bottles too, which suits me.

I hear the TH has extended late opening hours on weekends now too. Surprised it doesn't get as much traffic as other Rock bars and they certainly do have a decent selection of craft beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Passenger wrote: »
    I hear the TH has extended late opening hours on weekends now too. Surprised it doesn't get as much traffic as other Rock bars and they certainly do have a decent selection of craft beers.
    Didnt even know it was a rock bar tbh

Didnt even know it was a rock bar tbh

Aye, it would be categorised as such but it leans more toward the punk/ska/alternative side of things though.

There's an 80's Goth night once a month which I try make it in for. There's also some older chilled out punk stuff playing during the day which in don't even mind, even though I'm not a punk fan. They have a night where the DJs only spin vinyl and that can be totally random.

They play loose with the music which I like a lot. It's very unpretentious. Considering there are rockabillies drinking there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

There's a small stage downstairs too. Have only been to one gig (Warpath / Killface) AGES ago. But it had Nick Oliveri play there recently.

https://www.facebook.com/thomashousedublin/events

But does seem to be mostly punk / ska. Which I can't stand.

Aye, it would be categorised as such but it leans more toward the punk/ska/alternative side of things though.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    There's an 80's Goth night once a month which I try make it in for. There's also some older chilled out punk stuff playing during the day which in don't even mind, even though I'm not a punk fan. They have a night where the DJs only spin vinyl and that can be totally random.

They play loose with the music which I like a lot. It's very unpretentious. Considering there are rockabillies drinking there! ;)

Might have to give this a looksee so.
    Is the goth night Dominion? That closed a while ago?

• Advertisement

They have loads of comics lying around and even do, or did haircuts on Saturdays. I love that they try new things all the time, anyway. I live a bit closer to there now, so I'm looking forward to being there a bit more.

I'm enjoying drinking in Fibbers in the afternoon the odd time, of late. Just not into the night time. The beer garden juke box has some real crap on it, that seems to get played, though.

Might have to give this a looksee so.
    Is the goth night Dominion? That closed a while ago?

No, that's kinda the people that are now Revolution, who move around the city. They've been in Fibbers, Voodoo and had a well received night in Gypsy Rose on Saturday from what I hear.

Intermission once a month in the TH would have some of the same guest DJs and drinkers. There's less of the dancy techno Goth music at that which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cheapy2006

Bruxelles, an over-priced **** hole full of posers and ****!!

cheapy2006 wrote: »
    Bruxelles, an over-priced **** hole full of posers and ****!!

Riiiiight :rolleyes:

Riiiiight :rolleyes:

He's right though

Bruxelles is one place I just never go. Used to love it during the day when it wasn't busy, but I never liked the vibe off people at night.

Granted, it's been years, so it's due a visit soon.

He's right though

Clearly.
    5 euro for a pint of snakebite is actually not a ripoff in that area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Clearly.
    5 euro for a pint of snakebite is actually not a ripoff in that area...

It might be, but you gotta find someone who'd actually drink a pint of snakebite in the first place :pac:

It's no more expensive than any other city center pub tbh. €5 pints is the same as Fibbers and Gypsy Rose.

Links234 wrote: »
    It might be, but you gotta find someone who'd actually drink a pint of snakebite in the first place :pac:

LOL yeah I drink it occasionally, especially when o'hara's is 6.60

• Advertisement

That's a bit much considering you can get the same thing in Aldi :eek:

Yeah - I always like to try craft beers when they have a menu etc but when its over a fiver for a 330ml bottle you don't get more than one!

Depends on the beer though, doesn't it? That little 330ml bottle could be way stronger than something else

Links234 wrote: »
    Depends on the beer though, doesn't it? That little 330ml bottle could be way stronger than something else

It does, there was a 9% one for instance.
    Still feel cheated at those prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Are there any good rock/metal clubs in the south east? I thought Carlow would have something

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Are there any good rock/metal clubs in the south east? I thought Carlow would have something

Unless somebody local from the southeast can confirm but as far as I know there are only 24/7 dedicated rock bars in Dublin (Fibber Magee's, Bruxelles, Gypsy Rose) and Cork (Fred Zeppelins). There may be other bars in Galway, Belfast etc. that do Rock/Metal gigs or one-off events but in terms of full time Rock/Metal pubs that's it.

Bruxelles would be fine if it wasn't occupied by complete bellends

Not a sweeping generalisation, it's just got more cliquey, arseholey twats than most places

Bruxelles would be fine if it wasn't occupied by complete bellends

Not a sweeping generalisation, it's just got more cliquey, arseholey twats than most places

Jeez man. Is there any bar that you do like? You were complaining about Gypsy Rose and Fibbers not long ago too. :pac:

Jeez man. Is there any bar that you do like? You were complaining about Gypsy Rose and Fibbers not long ago too. :pac:

lol! I'm just a grumpy fecker :)

I actually like fibbers!

• Advertisement

Fibber's Pint and Pizza for a tenner deal is great.They are frozen pizzas, but they're actually real nice. Their Guinness is great too.

The Thomas House are doing a haircut and beer for €15 on Saturdays which is also a great deal. Their Guinness is one of the best in Dublin.

For 25 bricks you could be sheared, fed and watered on Saturday. Not bad ;)

Advertisement