Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a s'steel immersion tank

Options
  • 26-07-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm looking for a stainless steel unvented immersion tank, with two immersion elements but the bottom one needs to be right at the bottom of the tank, not above a coil. (so that the whole tank heats up)

The only one that I can see on the net is the Joule cyclone direct, would anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

that is generally regarded as a solar cylinder ,can be got with 1, 2or 3 coils, one joule cylinder has an anode it's around €50 euro extra and has to be replaced annually ,idea is to prevent water corrosion of tank or elements,other manufacturers may have similar protective anode.other manufacturers make tanks to order depending on requirement , cant remember names but seen them at Ploughing Championships,several suppliers give different options, one i saw in Kilkenny last time up there,near Old Dublin Road had various range of cylinders at very reasonable prices i might add, just saw them when passing,another maker in Clare made mine to order steel dual coil indirect ,but told they make requirement to order as well.any good heating supplier worth their salt will advise you of different options,size etc, if pushy to make sale walk

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Great, thanks for that.

price around as well why not get 2( or dual ) coil cylinder can be used to add oil or solid fuel boiler at later date if required, after that go for heat exchanger , the more coils in tank, they have to be smaller i was told . kingspan supply solar cylinders (as well as solar panels) i don't have solar ( wife doesn't like idea of ripping and dust even though impressed with heating) cant think of names of other suppliers just now. std tank should be around €1500, extra coils doesn't cost a lot, maybe €100. unvented tank price i don't know,

sandydan wrote: »
    price around as well why not get 2( or dual ) coil cylinder can be used to add oil or solid fuel boiler at later date if required, after that go for heat exchanger , the more coils in tank, they have to be smaller i was told . kingspan supply solar cylinders (as well as solar panels) i don't have solar ( wife doesn't like idea of ripping and dust even though impressed with heating) cant think of names of other suppliers just now. std tank should be around €1500, extra coils doesn't cost a lot, maybe €100. unvented tank price i don't know,

i don't need any coils, just two electric immersions and I'm all sorted.

i don't need any coils, just two electric immersions and I'm all sorted.
    my apologies that was meant for some one else.must be more careful where i send posts in future:o

i have seen other manufacturers of 2- immersion unit tanks but not recently,other than Joule who seem to be popular even in solar fitting .
    a popular venue for that is the "Extend and Renovate shows" one may be held in Belfast,Dublin, Millstreet and I think Galway, but hardware and plumbing places like Heatmerchants should be good for that as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    Your looking for a warmflow cylinder
    They make these exact type for people who have night rate electricity
    You can also get it with just a solar coil
    I'm away on hols so can't post you contact details at present
    http://www.connaughtsolar.com/products3.php?ID=29&c=4&c2=29
    Cc

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi
    Your looking for a warmflow cylinder
    They make these exact type for people who have night rate electricity
    You can also get it with just a solar coil
    I'm away on hols so can't post you contact details at present

Cc

OK thanks for that, I'd a look at the warmflow brochure but the largest cylinder listed is 295l whereas I'm looking for 500l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Try Gledhill.co.uk there direct stainless light cylinders are superb. There all i install in the unvented situations.

OK thanks for that, I'd a look at the warmflow brochure but the largest cylinder listed is 295l whereas I'm looking for 500l

500l is a lot for an immersion to be heating. Would you not consider an Ariston NUOS?

JohnnieK wrote: »
    500l is a lot for an immersion to be heating. Would you not consider an Ariston NUOS?

I am deliberately avoiding new technology because I think it they haven't been tested for long enough.

Good old hot water cylinders have stood the test of time, they are cheap to repair, need very little maintenance and if they work from night rate electricity, then they are cheap to run.

• Advertisement

Make sure you specify thick walls for the cylinder. They don't make good old cylinders like they used to, and an anode.

Make sure you specify thick walls for the cylinder. They don't make good old cylinders like they used to, and an anode.

hardware store staff don't tell if you they are available but there is different thickness wall available and in in existing tank its the lightest wall thickness from that supplier,plumber should know and usually do but not asked usually,store staff are usually young no idea of specs . its a like storeman told me once managers have an awful job paying extra for good staff but dont take notice of stuff being thrown into skip as insurance covers and so do customers inevitably .end of boom has seen demise of a lot of these as bitten customers usually dont shop back at original supplier if they are dissatisfied with product.

I spoke with design dept in Joule and they were very helpful, they recommended to increase the insulation from 50mm to 80mm and a 6kw titanium element, instead of standard 3kw.

So by my calculations the approx cost will be;

7 hours x 6kw = 36kw (this is overstated as actual heat up time from cold is 5-6hrs, plus it assumes zero latent heat)

36kw x .10cents = €3.60 per night

€3.60 x 350 nights = €1,260 per annum

Note: these estimates are likely overstated due to calculations based on reheat from cold each night, whereas in reality there will be latent heat in the tank.

I spoke with design dept in Joule and they were very helpful, they recommended to increase the insulation from 50mm to 80mm and a 6kw titanium element, instead of standard 3kw.

So by my calculations the approx cost will be;

7 hours x 6kw = 36kw (this is overstated as actual heat up time from cold is 5-6hrs, plus it assumes zero latent heat)

36kw x .10cents = €3.60 per night

€3.60 x 350 nights = €1,260 per annum

Note: these estimates are likely overstated due to calculations based on reheat from cold each night, whereas in reality there will be latent heat in the tank.
    i know of the latent heat of ice its around 70 but how that will that transfer to heat water i cant figure out as when tank is at 15 it stays at 15 due to insulation especially in tank your talking about installing, only way to heat a cylinder without using fuel is solar coil. is that coming in under €3,500 at that size + heating elements

Advertisement