Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop Not Downloading

Options
  • 11-08-2014 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Just after putting together a desktop but have one problem. It wont download files at all. Internet runs fine albeit slow. Windows update has 88 updates :o but none download so I dont know what to do! 5 mins now and 0KB total.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

9bred4 wrote: »
    Just after putting together a desktop but have one problem. It wont download files at all. Internet runs fine albeit slow. Windows update has 88 updates :o but none download so I dont know what to do! 5 mins now and 0KB total.

What browser are you trying to download with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

stevek93 wrote: »
    What browser are you trying to download with?

Well Windows Update Im not sure what that is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Well Windows Update Im not sure what that is

Can you browse the internet normally? If so just click install updates in Windows Update and let it run.

Updates can take some time as your PC will go to prepare it before downloading and installing. You can choose not to install certain updates (languages like Chinese are unlikely to be any use to you for example) which might speed it up.

Leave it overnight and it should be done in the morning :D

Mr. G wrote: »
    Can you browse the internet normally? If so just click install updates in Windows Update and let it run.

Updates can take some time as your PC will go to prepare it before downloading and installing. You can choose not to install certain updates (languages like Chinese are unlikely to be any use to you for example) which might speed it up.

Leave it overnight and it should be done in the morning :D

(stupid question coming be warned((And Im not even a noob!!)) can I turn off the monitor and leave the pc on?

Well on a slow connection it may take a while for it to get going, as poster above me said leave it overnight and yes you can switch of the monitor.

• Advertisement

(stupid question coming be warned((And Im not even a noob!!)) can I turn off the monitor and leave the pc on?

Yes you can.

Also makemake sure PC isn't set to automatically standby after certain period of time.

I dont want to leave it overnight to find it at 0% either though. I guess I will just have to take the chance! I will report back in the morning lads, cheers!

stevek93 wrote: »
    Well on a slow connection it may take a while for it to get going, as poster above me said leave it overnight and yes you can switch of the monitor.

Jinx!

Found a way around it. Clicked the power button and an option 'update and restart' was there. Already on update 13 of 68!

• Advertisement
Advertisement