Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do teachers do when schools are off?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

What do school teachers do when schools are off? And why do they get paid the full wage if they're not working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

They "plan and set out next year's learning schedule".......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Drive taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Twittred campaigns about late salary payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Go on extended holidays/travelling.

That's what the teachers I know do. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They ring Joe Duffy to lecture the nation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

grinds

A part time barman in my local is a teacher by day, greedy bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

They run summer courses and pay no tax. Then during the mid terms they do grinds and pay no tax. Then while working they also do grinds and pay no tax but have the cheek to complain about the pension levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

They have a salary for the months that they work, paid out in 12-month installments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Become a teacher and tell us OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Work in restaurants, tourist shops for cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They have a salary for the months that they work, paid out in 12-month installments.

An annual salary paid in monthly installments.

Just like... everyone, everywhere, ever? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

They sit on their hole for 2-3 months and complain about being over worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Same thing you do with your three months off a year presumably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Their fat and psychopathic wives thrash them within inches of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I wasn't very clear!

If you're temporary, you don't get paid for the 2 or 3 months of the summer. If you're permanent, you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Better question - Why don't all these people who are bitter at teachers just become teachers if it's such an easy gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh lord, here we go again.

1. the teachers who are not on any sort of reasonable contract (anyone new in and for at least the first 4 years teaching) don't get paid for any holiday periods.

2. All the rest used to be not paid over the holidays, but then this was realised to be unreasonable/unworkable if you want people to go into teaching, so the annual salary was divided by 12 instead of 9 to give everyone a way of coping with the holiday periods. So you look at the annual salary rather than the monthly salary.

Yes, having that extended holiday in the summer is a bonus. It is not always quite as long as it seems as there is some work to be done, usually at the beginning and end of it. On the other hand it is extremely difficult to get holiday at any other time of year, if for example a relative is getting married abroad, still that is a small price for generous breaks.

3. That's the way it is. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Same thing you do with your three months off a year presumably...

I doubt many get anywhere near that holiday allocation. This is not including 2 weeks at xmas, Easter and mid term breaks as well

And finishing at about 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Exactly! And yet people still cant get their head around why "they're being paid but not even working, Joe".

Probably have one of the most stressful and under apriciated jobs around. Their time off is deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My brother is a teacher, he is spending the summer in Australia scuba diving while getting paid..... I tell him he is a wanker every chance I get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

R.F. wrote: »
    I doubt many get anywhere near that holiday allocation. This is not including 2 weeks at xmas, Easter and mid term breaks as well

And finishing at about 4pm

Laced......with.....sarcasm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

They sharpen their sally rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A lot supervise LC/JC and/or correct said exams. The correcting ends at different times the latest being August. Many won't start holidays till the end of July. Preparing for the forthcoming school year would take up a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    A lot supervise LC/JC and/or correct said exams. The correcting ends at different times the latest being August. Many won't start holidays till the end of July. Preparing for the forthcoming school year would take up a few weeks.

They get extra pay for this, on top of their normal salary. Its like over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Primary school teachers have these course things about new approaches to teaching and whatnot they can do over the summer which they get an extra day off over the year for doing as an incentive. They've also have to sort stuff out for the next year (seems to vary wildly how much work this can be, could be absolutely loads for a principal or a larger school every year, but there's a wage increase for larger schools and whatnot). If they're married to a farmer (and nearly every f*cking one I know seems to be), they've to do the whole farmer's wife act and possibly join in with the misery.

Most importantly, they've to sit around at home all summer talking about all these plans they have and complaining to their children that they're not building a shed for them. This has to gradually build to a big huge argument when the Rose of Tralee's on about how the summer was wasted.

Considering it's a job where you're working the whole day, rather than between visits to boards and whatever else, and it can easily consume an absolute ton of your free time, the wages seem fairly reasonable to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

aaakev wrote: »
    My brother is a teacher, he is spending the summer in Australia scuba diving while getting paid..... I tell him he is a wanker every chance I get
    Why? Is he not allowed to save his money and take a holiday like everyone else? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

aaakev wrote: »
    Do you add a steel cap toe to the bollox each time you say it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

RWCNT wrote: »
    Better question - Why don't all these people who are bitter at teachers just become teachers if it's such an easy gig?

Teaching is pretty easy though in fairness. I did it for about 3 year but gave it up coz I really didn't care about how the students did and only did it for the money.
    Never had a student fail a state exam though so I was decent at the gig.

It's not for everyone though as I found out, I went into it fully enthusiastic but after a few months I came to realise that students don't care, the higher ups don't care either and parents only care so far as making sure their wee darlings pass and get into university so what's the point in busting your balls for them all when nobody really gives a sh!te.

.....I didn't teach in Ireland if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

No Pants wrote: »
    Why? Is he not allowed to save his money and take a holiday like everyone else? :confused:

Of course he is! I'm just jealous as ****! I thought that would have been obvious......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I'd rather they get the holidays and recharge the batteries for the new school year

better for the students

Advertisement