Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep! Pretty much this. I find the concept of 'retro collecting' a bit mad. I've just never stopped collecting for the consoles I grew up with :D

I'm the same, when I buy a console/game it is never with the intention of trading in, I keep all of my consoles and games in the best condition possible and if I were to sell them all I would make an absolute fortune! (I never will sell any of them though).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If all of this "collecting is mad" and "just use a flash cart" keeps going I'm going to kick you all out onto the games forum, you can suffer with the mouth breathers over there, fretting about framerates and mouse button lag times! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If all of this "collecting is mad" and "just use a flash cart" keeps going I'm going to kick you all out onto the games forum, you can suffer with the mouth breathers over there, fretting about framerates and mouse button lag times! ;)

Hey, they are serious issues man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Steve SI wrote: »
    On the whole collecting thing. Can i ask, am i alone in not having ever started collecting retro stuff? I never started collecting retro, I just kept my old systems and added to them over the years. I didnt wake up one day and think it i should pic up a N64 or Speccy or C64.

I mean I was never that into the importing Jap consoles or games when I was a kid. So I guess in my 20's I did start Jap retro collecting after seeing the glory that was Akihabara, but in general I've always just kept the consoles and computers I had as a kid/teen.

Thoughts?

Surely most of us would have just been adding to our old stuff. I still have my GAMEBOY from Christmas early 1990s and use it. Still have my cube and use it.
    But I always had only a few games for my systems as I rented a lot of stuff when I was younger. Nowhere to buy them and we had no car, so I was limited.
    I never started collecting retro really either but I started buying a lot more games than I did when I was younger both new games and old games. I was just buying a load of stuff but now I'm just focusing on the 3ds, wii, wiiu and gc and the DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ohh that's lovely !!! Good nic alright €700 lids though

Im not sure about that cab,
    It nice enough dont get me wrong but theres something not right about it.
    maybe its just the arcade classics bezel.does look well made and well looked after tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My playing is since the 70s, but I was never worse enough to keep my stuff until later.
    Since 99 I've been hanging onto stuff though.
    Not counting the bad habit of buying, selling and rebuying I have :(
    For a long time I was never just collecting, I was buying the games and consoles I had owned before, then I moved onto the games and consoles I had always wanted.
    I don't collect for collectings sake either, which is a weird habit to get into.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ohh that's lovely !!! Good nic alright €700 lids though
    a lil pricey alright but if there is room to haggle could be a nice machine, 10 times the machine all the crazies are posting with "upgraded" LCDs on adverts, dungdeal, etc.
    I wonder has it a JAMMA harness, I'd imagine it does.

Adams family pin on donedeal.
    not sure if the price is right/condition tho but I wont be getting it :(

• Advertisement

urbanledge wrote: »
    Adams family pin on donedeal.
    not sure if the price is right/condition tho but I wont be getting it :(
    http://www.donedeal.ie/collectibles-for-sale/addams-family-pinball-machine/7384819
    Flock me that's pricey:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't even know how to begin pricing pinball tables, they vary so much!

Lovely looking machine though, I remember playing that in Dawson's Bray years and years ago.

I don't even know how to begin pricing pinball tables, they vary so much!

Lovely looking machine though, I remember playing that in Dawson's Bray years and years ago.

Condition is key,
    Hes right they do go for 6k in fully restored condition.
    But to do a full restore would be 3k or more easy inc new playfield/art

urbanledge wrote: »
    Condition is key,
    Hes right they do go for 6k in fully restored condition.
    But to do a full restore would be 3k or more easy inc new playfield/art
    And finding someone you trust to clear coat it, I'd love to remove my playfield and have it touched up and clear coated but I'd find it hard to trust anyone to do that for me over here.
    The market for 6k machines might be there in the USA but I doubt its here in Ireland.

Master of the Universe

6k :eek:

Is the cost of playfield items and things really expensive or is it just a combination of that and time & effort of a restore?

Seems like insane money.

I know new pins are crazy money, but then so are new arcade machines.

New/repo playfields range from $1000-$2000.
    I see a lot of the high price machines are mint with original plastics and playfields which have been removed and clear coated in layers of lacquer. I assume the time is taken into account in the price and its massive work to strip and rebuild the playfield.

I know it is an expensive machine but €2850 seem pricey when it's listed as a project machine.
    http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/Addams-Family
    Average Prices: USD $2,200 to $4,400

The market for 6k machines might be there in the USA but I doubt its here in Ireland.

problem is the market is there in the UK,
    Lads come over to take them back to the UK :mad:
    A fella the usued to go by pinball.ie shipped loads to the uk a few years back so thats why theres not many around for us.

Booo
    Would love an Adams Family, a GNR and a Metallica
    Some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Oh yeah Gamestop have a pretty decent offer for the Last Of Us.
    If you trade in a selected game you can get TLOU for €10.

Its a pretty decent list of games also for any ps4/xb1 owners. Off the top of my head all versions of Watchdogs are on it, Tomb Raider, Cod Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

Ill be trading in my WatchDogs anyway, not much replay value in that game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Hopefully I'll get up to view that pin on monday, seller seems like a nice guy. But theres a HUGE difference between and "nice pin" and a minter. I'll see what happens anyway

Minters usually dont leave the seller much after a full restoration, considering new cab art can cost over £200 and thats just one thing on a very pricey list

Lads are getting their playfields sent over to one chap in Germany for touchup and clear coating, the results are amazing but i never heard any prices so I assume they are insane. Thing about pins is that i think they are the most collectible arcade related item in terms of unique experience, I know we have the really good virtual pin now but just cant beat a proper table to play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There should be something a bit special winging its way to the Marketplace soon enough...that's all I can say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Myrddin wrote: »
    There should be something a bit special winging its way to the Marketplace soon enough...that's all I can say ;)

August 23rd if I am not mistaken :)

kingtut wrote: »
    August 23rd if I am not mistaken :)

You never know :D

Master of the Universe

If you're selling your copy of Earthbound, skip the marketplace and go directly to my PM inbox :D

If you're selling your copy of Earthbound, skip the marketplace and go directly to my PM inbox :D

Lol, no, not Earthbound. Something a bit more, 'unique' ;)

Master of the Universe

I am intrigued!

For a moment I was hoping it was your Ridge Racer cab and was contemplating clearing space but sure that's Steve SI's now isn't it? :(

I am intrigued!

For a moment I was hoping it was your Ridge Racer cab and was contemplating clearing space but sure that's Steve SI's now isn't it? :(

Yep Steve owns that now :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Something a bit more, 'unique' ;)

A photograph of you at a beers? :P :P

(I know, I can't talk.)

theres a nice stand up RR in the small arcade in strandhill,
    not other vids there so I bet he'd sell it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Oh come on!! Can't say that and leave it.
    Can we have a small hint?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement