Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART fines process. Please help!

Options
  • 28-07-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Right so today I had the horrible misfortune of being slapped a 150 euro fine for having a child ticket on the DART. I panicked and gave someone else's name and address. I know that was wrong but what will happen when the wrongly named person doesn't pay the fine? Will they be asked to prove they weren't there or will they be asked to identify the person?

I know I did the wrong thing by giving the wrong name but I am going to attempt to make it right.(even though I don't agree with the fact that the Dart ticketing system classes anyone over 16 as an adult , yet the government and basically everyone else classifies anyone over 18 as adult. Serious lack of logic going on there)

could anyone who has been in this situation or knows anything about it please help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The named person will be dragged to court as a result, hopefully they can prove they were somewhere else.

On the other hand you have the fine receipt, you can pay that right now and this all goes away.

Incidentally Irish Rail read this forum, so you have just admitted to having travelled as an adult on a child ticket on a DART today. Won't take them long to figure who it was and pull the CCTV.

You must have really annoyed the inspectors as they have hit you with both fare evasion (100 euro) and a bye law offence (50 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lee711

You must have really annoyed the inspectors as they have hit you with both fare evasion (100 euro) and a bye law offence (50 euro)

I tried to say i was 15. But i could here the other inspectors going on about how this inspector was going to get me, cause that's what he does, or something along those lines. I wasn't rude or anything.

also if I ring up to say that the fine is in the wrong name, will an extra fine be handed down, cause i dont even know how I'm going to pay the 150 euro ( why I had the child ticket in the first place)? or would I be better off just paying it off with that name?

and I'm not trying to avoid it, I just panicked and messed up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Man up , pay the fine and get an innocent person off the hook.

corktina wrote: »
    Man up , pay the fine and get an innocent person off the hook.

you know before you said that, I actually had no intentions of doing that, i was just asking these questions for the hell of it. thanks for the brilliant motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If you had being honest and didn't lie about your age you probably would of only got the standard fine of 100....

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If you had being honest and didn't lie about your age you probably would of only got the standard fine of 100....

I know but I panicked, usually when the bus driver asks for my age and I say 15, they look at me funny, say 'go on' and that's it. Apparently that doesn't happen with the dart.

if I have the receipt can I just go and pay the fine and that'll be the end of it?

Basically what I'm trying to get at is, will said person be contacted in anyway if I pay the fine within 21 days? There isn't a letter sent out to his address or anything?

lee711 wrote: »
    Basically what I'm trying to get at is, will said person be contacted in anyway if I pay the fine within 21 days? There isn't a letter sent out to his address or anything?

Pay now and there should be no evidence left behind. That said Irish Rail are completely within their rights to (and I imagine we all would hope they do) send out the fine notification by post.

So there is a chance.

Incidentally the inspectors had they discovered your lies would have been completely entitled to arrest you there and then,

(and I imagine we all would hope they do)

why would it make a difference to you? I made a very bad mistake and I'm trying to fix it. God forbid you ever make one.

I've had a look at some of the rest of the DART fine threads and everyone is far too quick to jump down the person who started the thread's throat and to assume the worst. Must be desperate for some sort of self-righteousness in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

why would it make a difference to you? I made a very bad mistake and I'm trying to fix it. God forbid you ever make one.

I've had a look at some of the rest of the DART fine threads and everyone is far too quick to jump down the person who started the thread's throat and to assume the worst. Must be desperate for some sort of self-righteousness in their lives.

Nothing worse than stinging someone else with a fine to get away with paying the correct fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

The named person will be dragged to court as a result, hopefully they can prove they were somewhere else.

Bullsh1t

Incidentally Irish Rail read this forum, so you have just admitted to having travelled as an adult on a child ticket on a DART today. Won't take them long to figure who it was and pull the CCTV.

Bullsh1t

Pay now and there should be no evidence left behind.

Bullsh1t

Incidentally the inspectors had they discovered your lies would have been completely entitled to arrest you there and then,

utter Bulsh1t

Stop scaring the young fella with ridiculous posts.

OP, If you have a receipt, pay the fine - express remorse etc and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Don't pay it, Irish rail are a joke shop.

newbie2 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t

Bullsh1t

Bullsh1t

utter Bulsh1t

OP, If you have a receipt, pay the fine - express remorse etc and you'll be fine.

thank you, at least there is someone who isn't trying to just jump down my throat

robertxxx wrote: »
    Don't pay it, Irish rail are a joke shop.

completely agree, but it's not fair on the other person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I know but I panicked, usually when the bus driver asks for my age and I say 15, they look at me funny, say 'go on' and that's it. Apparently that doesn't happen with the dart.

So its a regular thing then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Can a 16 year old child be brought to court for this ?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Incidentally the inspectors had they discovered your lies would have been
    completely entitled to arrest you there and then,

Where do you think you are living?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    So its a regular thing then?

get over yourself, if you were my age you would be doing the exact same thing. Money doesn't exactly grow on trees and being charged 3.05 for a one way 25 minute train journey is beyond ridiculous

plus as I have said before, by law I am a child, yet the public transport systems in this country think I'm an adult, and can conveniently charge me adult fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Was the name and address of another person or was it randomly made up? I wouldnt worry about someone else being brought into it if you made it up.

• Advertisement

Where do you think you are living?

very close to where i do?

I'm not sure I understand your q?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

very close to where i do?

I'm not sure I understand your q?

Think the poster meant that the person saying they would arrest you was wrong. They have no power to detain a person as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

get over yourself, if you were my age you would be doing the exact same thing. Money doesn't exactly grow on trees and being charged 3.05 for a one way 25 minute train journey is beyond ridiculous

€2.35 using leap card btw, surprised anyone still uses cash.

OP got caught breaking the law.

OP further committed an offence by failing to give real name and address

OP now wants to find a way out

Its people like this who are resulting in the honest citizen paying more every day

There is no sympathy, only the basic and simple advice, pay the fine

And the official absolutely has the power to arrest, http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0031/print.html#sec129
    (iii) require the person to give his or her name and address and, if the person fails or refuses to do so or gives a name that the authorised officer reasonably suspects is false or misleading may arrest that person without warrant,

Its people like this who are resulting in the honest citizen paying more every day

There is no sympathy, only the basic and simple advice, pay the fine
    [/url]

I am truly sorry, Mr. High&Almighty that you had to come down from your throne of sweet justice to see this, a person who panicked very badly and is now trying to right his (very serious) wrong. But I don't need you to tell me that what I did was wrong, I am well aware that my actions were in no way justified.

And for your information, I am going to pay the fine tomorrow, so don't worry your little cotton socks, 'honest' self-righteous idiots like yourself will not be paying a single cent on my behalf.

You'd swear that half of the people on this, have never done anything wrong in their entire lives. I didn't come here looking for sympathy, I came looking for a way to try and get rid of this fine as quickly and quietly as possible. I panicked because I am not used to being in these type of situations. I am not used to being issued fines or being arrested or anything of the likes.

And if it makes you feel any better while you mouth off from behind your keyboard, I do feel like a pr*ck. It is all I have been thinking about all day and I regret it deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭Tow

newbie2 wrote: »

If they are anything like the Luas nothing will happen. I have gotten about half a dozen fines sent to my house over the years. I suspect from the previous owners son... They send two letters per fine and not once has anyone knocked on the door looking for him or his parents.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Incidentally they announced yesterday that up to the age of 19 you can now avail of child fares if you get the leap card.

You don't have to pay 3.05 for the 25 minute journey, you could use a leap card and it would be cheaper.

My story:
    When I was 15, I got caught without a ticket (I was out enjoying the 071s and Cravens into Pearse on the Northern line), the booking office was locked at my local station, but when I got to Pearse I crossed straight back and took a train north to head home. It was on this train that I was caught.

Did I be smart and give a false name and address? No, I put my hand up, and told them where I went, (which confused them even more) and paid the fine (€45 at the time I think). Since that day, I always pay and tag on ever since my rebel teenage days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

You don't need to do that on the bus anymore if you just get a Leap card and are under 18.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Child-Leap-Card-Changes-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

completely agree, but it's not fair on the other person

I don't understand you OP. You're happy to abuse the system by claiming your under 16 but you're unhappy with the service that you are defrauding?

If you're not happy with the service don't pay anything - just don't use it. Buy a bike instead.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    just don't use it. Buy a bike instead.

i wasn't using it until my bike got robbed

Advertisement