Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v. Tipperary, SHC QF, Semple Stadium, Thurles 4.00 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

grimbergen wrote: »
    I'd give Dublin a huge chance here. Tipp are a nice team when things are going their way and have had two soft-ish qualifiers to get them back in (Galway's full back line marking was dire). If Dublin can bring some physicality especially in the backs they'll have a great chance.

Make no mistake a lot of Tipp people are looking to an all-ireland semi-final, hopefully the payers aren't thinking that way.

Agreed and 1-9 against Kilkenny is really as Daly said not good enough to win a minor match Putting up a decent score is Dublin's main weakness. The Dub backs are well capable of keeping the Tipp forwards to a reasonable score but upfront unless there is a massive improvement they are not going to cause an upset. Dublin will need all six forwards to contribute and if they do then they may very well finish Tipp off in Thurles, but based on the Kilkenny display by them that is a big if. That wont stop me from shouting for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Agreed and 1-9 against Kilkenny is really as Daly said not good enough to win a minor match Putting up a decent score is Dublin's main weakness. The Dub backs are well capable of keeping the Tipp forwards to a reasonable score but upfront unless there is a massive improvement they are not going to cause an upset. Dublin will need all six forwards to contribute and if they do then they may very well finish Tipp off in Thurles, but based on the Kilkenny display by them that is a big if. That wont stop me from shouting for them though.

Tipp's problems at full back so far this year are a worry, but I don't think Dublin are the team to exploit that. I think Bonnar's form this year will be the difference. If he plays well tipp will score goals, he makes the space and we have the finishers. I don't think Dublin will put up a score to beat Tipp, going on their form this year so far. I think a hot day and a fast pitch will suit tipp more also. That said if Dublin can find some form it will be close. Will be interesting to see how Sutcliffe goes if he is back fully fit at this stage. They will certainly need a big game from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

This should be one of the best games of the year. Dublin beat Wexford and did so in Wexford park and at the end made it look easy enough. While there is a danger that Wexford are being hyper inflated after beating a woefully out of sorts Clare and a poor enough Waterford, Dublin were the real deal when beating them. For some reason they flopped against Kilkenny though with 20 minutes to go they were in with a chance despite their poor play. Callinan, Corbet and McGrath can be held and do not like close attention which Dublin will give them. The Bonner again will become a vital player. Mid field is even enough and as said before it is all going to hinge on how the Dublin forwards perform. Roll on Sunday and here's hoping Dublin bring their hurleys with them this time. It could prove to be one of the games of the year between two fairly physical teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

I agree that Dublin's win over Wexford is being overlooked after their "poor" display against Kilkenny. I fully expected Wexford to win that one but the dubs won with ease. Even with an anticipated much improved performance next Sunday from Dublin I do think Tipp will win. The hot conditions and fast pitch shouldn't suit Tipp any better than the Dubs. As was posted, McGrath and Callanan won't like the "attention" from their opponents and might just go missing, again. Tipp most definitely have a problem at full back and indeed a problem with Padraig Maher in my opinion. Whether he plays at full or wing back I think he's still there for the taking.

If Dublin come with hunger and passion they'll make it difficult for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭shmeee

Tipperary Senior Hurling v Dublin 27/07/2014 in Semple Stadium

1) Darren Gleeson (Portroe)
    2) Paddy Stapleton (Borrisoleigh)
    3) Paudie Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    4) Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5) Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
    6) James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane)
    7) Cathal Barrett (HolycrossBallycahill)
    8) Kieran Bergin (Killenaule)
    9) James Woodlock (Drom& Inch)
    10) Gearóid Ryan (Templederry)
    11) Patrick Maher (Lorrha-Dorrha)
    12) John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    13) Noel McGrath (LoughmoreCastleiney)
    14) Seamus Callanan (Drom and Inch)
    15) Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

Subs
    16) Darragh Egan (Kildangan)
    17) Shane Bourke (JK Brackens)
    18) Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    19) Jason Forde (Silvermines)
    20) Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone)
    21) Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    22) Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    23) Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
    24) Conor O’Brien (Éire ÓgAnnacartyDonohill)
    25) John O’Brien (Toomevara)
    26) Thomas Stapleton (Templederry)

• Advertisement

Rumours that Paul Curran is back in form and could start. Suggestion of worry over backs?

Grats wrote: »
    Rumours that Paul Curran is back in form and could start. Suggestion of worry over backs?

If fit he could feature along with O'Mahony but that's doubtful now, word around that the team named mightn't even start as so, players or positions!

shmeee wrote: »
    If fit he could feature along with O'Mahony but that's doubtful now, word around that the team named mightn't even start as so, players or positions!

Is O'Mahony likely to be included?

Is O'Mahony likely to be included?

Was kinda 50/50 during week but not mentioned tonight on subs but you'd never know.

Def a re-jig of the way the backs line out will be o the cards at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭letowski

dirtyden wrote: »
    Tipp's problems at full back so far this year are a worry, but I don't think Dublin are the team to exploit that. I think Bonnar's form this year will be the difference. If he plays well tipp will score goals, he makes the space and we have the finishers. I don't think Dublin will put up a score to beat Tipp, going on their form this year so far. I think a hot day and a fast pitch will suit tipp more also. That said if Dublin can find some form it will be close. Will be interesting to see how Sutcliffe goes if he is back fully fit at this stage. They will certainly need a big game from him.

I'd agree with this. I think Tipperary will win this but not by much. As the season goes on, teams like Dublin find it harder to impose their physicality with the hurling speeding up. Tipp are improving and with home advantage and confidence after the previous two wins, they should have two much firepower for Dublin.

However, I'd still give the Dubs a chance. The absence of Conor O'Mahony means Tipp look at little light from 5-12. Keaney, if given good direct ball (ala Glynn v Galway), could give Maher issues at the edge of the square. McCrabbe can also make things uncomfortable for Barry if on form too.

Bonnor v Rushe should be titanic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

letowski wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. I think Tipperary will win this but not by much. As the season goes on, teams like Dublin find it harder to impose their physicality with the hurling speeding up. Tipp are improving and with home advantage and confidence after the previous two wins, they should have two much firepower for Dublin.

However, I'd still give the Dubs a chance. The absence of Conor O'Mahony means Tipp look at little light from 5-12. Keaney, if given good direct ball (ala Glynn v Galway), could give Maher issues at the edge of the square. McCrabbe can also make things uncomfortable for Barry if on form too.

I know thats said about Dublin but they really aren't a physical side. In fact their forwards and midfielders were blown away by KK in the physical stakes. Some like McCrabbe were badly blown away. Physically, Tipp would more than hold their own at any time of the year against Dublin.

I heard Daly talking about there was a lot of soul searching as to why Dublin didn't perform but it would have taken me thirty seconds to tell him.:) Keaney and Sutcliffe simply have to win a far greater percentage of the ball that comes their way. Doesn't matter what jersey you wear, if your six forwards are cleaned out you won't win any game.

letowski wrote: »

Home advantage could be the deciding factor in the end, which would be a pity as no team should have an unfair advantage when it comes to knock out.

Keaney and Sutcliffe will be well up for this and I think Rushe will take beating at centre back. Dublin are a fit team and are well capable of staying with Corbett and co!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

I was at a challenge game in Gaelic Grounds last week. Dublin were very impressive against Limerick. Looked hungry and their movement was very good. Dublin excellant value for me at 5/2. Will be having some of that.

Volvic12 wrote: »
    I was at a challenge game in Gaelic Grounds last week. Dublin were very impressive against Limerick. Looked hungry and their movement was very good. Dublin excellant value for me at 5/2. Will be having some of that.

Any score from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Any score from that?

Couldn't keep track because there was no umpires etc. and I'd no paper to follow either. Dublin definitely won. Was just impressed with work-rate. I feel they have alot to prove to themselves this weekend

Couldn't keep track because there was no umpires etc. and I'd no paper to follow either. Dublin definitely won. Was just impressed with work-rate. I feel they have alot to prove to themselves this weekend

Interesting, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Folks anyone know would I be safe in leaving it till Sunday early to get a terrace ticket? I dont want to get one know just in case Im lucky and find someone selling a stand ticket on Sunday?

Are they always genuine tickets if individuals are selling? ie couls you be scammed?

thanks

h

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was it not a very weak Limerick side though?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Was it not a very weak Limerick side though?

Why would Limerick put out a very weak side at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Why would Limerick put out a very weak side at this stage?

I don't know. I'm not even sure if it's true, I wasn't at the match, haven't talked to anyone who was, and I've heard conflicting stories... all I do know for sure is that we lost. Someone told me at work today that Nickie Quaid played outfield... and I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Volvic should be able to confirm if he was at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm not even sure if it's true, I wasn't at the match, haven't talked to anyone who was, and I've heard conflicting stories... all I do know for sure is that we lost. Someone told me at work today that Nickie Quaid played outfield... and I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Volvic should be able to confirm if he was at it.

Heard on the radio today that Limerick were trying a lot of things incl. Hannon at centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Will Corbett start at 15 or move out the field.He is 6/5 to score over 2.5 today ,it seems a very big price or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thankfully, that horrendous first match is over, now it's time for the real hurling :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Daly is kinda vibrating as he is speaking here.

Shane McGrath back in.

Mahony and cahill are huge losses for tipp.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Tipperary should edge this in a close game by 2 points.

Jesus lads Change the jerseys.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Will Corbett start at 15 or move out the field.He is 6/5 to score over 2.5 today ,it seems a very big price or am I missing something?

Hmmm...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement