Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 3 2.2 150bhp

Options
  • 21-07-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I was looking at one of these today . Has anyone got one? I'm just wondering what the fuel economy is like. I currently drive a 1.8 petrol saloon and it's lousy. Does anyone know if my insurance will increase due to new car and engine ? Any other comments on the car ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The 2.2 is a turbodiesel, isn't it? Good bitta kit them, and I'd imagine they'd be quite decent on fuel. Hard to say about the insurance - give them a bell, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Great looking car in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They are reportedly on the expensive side for their sector of the market the bigger 6 is the same - forget the exact figures.

So id be pricing up some of the opposition cars tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

No idea on fuel consumption, but we've had a demo for the past couple of weeks, and it's good fun to drive.

Struggles to get the power down in the wet, but there's plenty of go once it bites.

Only done short, local journeys, but I'd seriously consider one if I was in the market for something that size.

About the only car in it's segment with a decent engine option, unless going for the Sports model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't they drop the 1.6d PSA unit from this model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    Didn't they drop the 1.6d PSA unit from this model?

Currently, it only has the very good 2.2 150ps engine, that so far (touch wood) hasn't caused any issues in the early new model 6's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Drove a demo recently. Nice and "light" to drive. It felt very surefooted but not heavy and lethargic when it came to changing direction. Dash was a bit higgildy-piggildy and a bit too black but well equipped. I don't like the seats as I couldn't get the driving position spot on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

Is there any other car you'd consider in the price point? I really wanted a 6 but 3 with a bit of spec is fine. Can't decide between sedan or hatch either .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Seat Leon FR? Similar size, price and spec. Can be had with a slightly more powerful 184PS version as well as the 150. Doesn't look as nice as the 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

AFAIK it has the same skyactiv engine as the cx5, which reportedly suffers from the same diesel in sump issues that have plagued previous Mazda diesel engines.

Lovely looking cars though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    AFAIK it has the same skyactiv engine as the cx5, which reportedly suffers from the same diesel in sump issues that have plagued previous Mazda diesel engines.

Lovely looking cars though.

I haven't heard of the new 2.2 giving any such trouble in the CX5 and I've been researching them heavily for family at the minute. The only one I came across was in Oz and it turned out to be badly calibrated dipsticks.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I haven't heard of the new 2.2 giving any such trouble in the CX5 and I've been researching them heavily for family at the minute. The only one I came across was in Oz and it turned out to be badly calibrated dipsticks.

Apparently some in the UK have had issues with rising oil levels on these engines which appears to be more than just down to a badly calibrated dispstick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Apparently some in the UK have had issues with rising oil levels on these engines which appears to be more than just down to a badly calibrated dispstick.

There was a recall issued in Oz for the dipsticks. As said I researched a lot but found nothing concrete regarding the oil levels rising.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    There was a recall issued in Oz for the dipsticks. As said I researched a lot but found nothing concrete regarding the oil levels rising.

Not exactly concrete I know but given Mazda's efforts in the CR diesel department over the past ten years I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this engine also turned out to be the same.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=102168

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Would ya be interested in an MPS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Would ya be interested in an MPS?
    If he's unhappy with the fuel consumption on a 1.8, he'll have a fit when the sees what the MPS does. :)

Auto express mentioned it in their used car buyers guide for the CX 5 a couple of weeks ago - I just assumed someone had badly researched it - ie going on the fact that pre Skyactive models had this issue.

I wonder how common the reported issue is with skyactive - ie is Skyactive less prone to having the issue - albeit it still happens

Found this

http://www.dieselcarmagazine.co.uk/features/doctor/cx-5-updates/

Apparently - they've released a software update as well to "address the DPF regeneration issues"

Given the fact they've had this issue - wouldn't you think Mazda would have checked, double checked, fixed, double checked again this issue BEFORE releasing the cars the market.

Still don't know how common this is though

Btw above link also mentions an issue with a sensor failing????

Jesus, I can't comprehend how they've messed up the new engine given the importance of that market to the balance sheet.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I can't comprehend how they've messed up the new engine given the importance of that market to the balance sheet.

Stop the lights - Old diesel in a lets call for a balanced look rather then get the boot in at Mazda diesel reliability statement :D:D:D - Tea 1000 would spill his tea with the shock :D

Yes some have had issues - from reading it it appeared the worst affected were early ones.

It seems to be a lot of AUSTRALIAN spec cars that are reporting the issues - did Oz get the CX 5 before Europe????.

The buyers guide I mentioned earlier - STILL RECKONED the CX 5 was a very reliable car - they noted the issue as something that had cropped up - and thus watch out for but doubt they would say it was very reliable if it was happening left right and centre.

What id like to know is what UK forums are saying about it because - ba_barabus says hes done a lot of research and not found much evidence - and IF it were me - id be inclined to look towards Uk forums for info rather then US or Oz forums.

In relation to the link I published earlier today - I think the guy in the magazine alluded to the fact that the owner was in subsequent contact to say the car wasn't doing the raising oil thing anymore (ie it was fixed???).

I also find the fact that ROR notes that early versions of the new 6 have been trouble free is interesting.

Mind you I am indulging in a big of wishful thinking with the above I think - clutching at straws you might call it :eek:

In addition - there may will be lots of Skyactive diesels out there that are giving no issue with raising oil issues or anything else for that matter - we don't get to hear about those if they are out there - because their owners will just consider - RIGHTLY - that the cars are doing no more then what they expected. You will always hear of the bothersome ones.

Would be interested to know of actual owner experiences here in Ireland - friends/family etc

The new Mazda 6 is only out a very short period of time so I wouldn't read too much into it's reliability yet. The 2.2 skyactiv that's fitted to it though is suppose to be the same unit fitted to the CX5 for which there are reports of oil rise issues, a problem that has been prevalent in previous generations of Mazda's CR diesel units.

You'd think that they must have fixed what is a well know problem at this stage but then again Mazdas have also been plaqued with rust problems for many years with even relatively new cars developing rust, this is despite many complaints in the U.S and Canada. Poor rust protection effected cars right up to the last generation of Mazda's. Obviously it is still unclear yet weather the new models are any better in this regard.

The new Mazda 6 is only out a very short period of time so I wouldn't read too much into it's reliability yet. The 2.2 skyactiv that's fitted to it though is suppose to be the same unit fitted to the CX5 for which there are reports of oil rise issues, a problem that has been prevalent in previous generations of Mazda's CR diesel units.

You'd think that they must have fixed what is a well know problem at this stage but then again Mazdas have also been plaqued with rust problems for many years with even relatively new cars developing rust, this is despite many complaints in the U.S and Canada. Poor rust protection effected cars right up to the last generation of Mazda's. Obviously it is still unclear yet weather the new models are any better in this regard.

All good points - but given the internets ability to deliver only the horror stories - I wonder just what is the true reality of Skyactive reliability.

there is no doubt that older Mazda diesels were a bit of a disaster - and yes - youd actually think that having had the issue before - top of the to do list with Skyactive would be - make sure to bloody design the things so the DPF design wont cause raising oil levels.

I think someone in Mazda is trying to be FAR TOO CLEVER with this new technology rather then simply getting it right for the customer

Where is Tea actually? Haven't seen him posting in a while. Or Anan1 come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I thought Anan1 closed his account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My old fella has 132 new model 6 with that engine. So he has it just over a year at this stage and no problems at all, he has nothing but good things to say about the car in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I thought Anan1 closed his account

A quick search says it's not closed, but no posts since March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Mazdas have also been plaqued with rust problems for many years with even relatively new cars developing rust, this is despite many complaints in the U.S and Canada. Poor rust protection effected cars right up to the last generation of Mazda's. Obviously it is still unclear yet weather the new models are any better in this regard.
    How old are we talking? I've recently got rid of a 03 Mazda 6 1.8 that didn't have any rust issues. My Da had a Mazda 626 from the late 90s that he put over 250,000 miles on, with no rust issues. I've a 08 Mazda 3 now and he has a 06 MX-5. No rust anywhere on mine that I can see, although I haven't checked under it since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The 2.2 skyactiv that's fitted to it though is suppose to be the same unit fitted to the CX5 for which there are reports of oil rise issues

and the reliability issue with the old 6 went: DPF issue (no visible effect), "oil level rise" (ie - fuel into the sump), warning light (if you were lucky). The car can go for quite some time with diesel in the sump, but lubrication is affected, and eventually oil pump or engine bearings will go.

From browsing HonestJohn, it may be that some of the 2.2's problems were caused by attempts to fix the 2.0's issues, by triggering DPF regeneration too often, and a software fix has mitigated that.

But the fact that the DPF still allows fuel into the sump at all, under any circumstances, means I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

• Advertisement

and the reliability issue with the old 6 went: DPF issue (no visible effect), "oil level rise" (ie - fuel into the sump), warning light (if you were lucky). The car can go for quite some time with diesel in the sump, but lubrication is affected, and eventually oil pump or engine bearings will go.

From browsing HonestJohn, it may be that some of the 2.2's problems were caused by attempts to fix the 2.0's issues, by triggering DPF regeneration too often, and a software fix has mitigated that.

But the fact that the DPF still allows fuel into the sump at all, under any circumstances, means I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

My understanding was that the old 2.2 still could have the issue - but it was less likely to happen then on the 2.0.

Is Mazda the only maker to use such a flawed regen process for their diesel engines.

Because if they are - the long term solution for them - is simple - stop trying to be clever by being different - recognise that theres a reason that other manufacturers don't use the same set up - and go with a set up that doesn't cause the same issues.

Ive heard of 2.7 diesel Jaguars having similar issues - but ive not heard of it on ANY OTHER MAKE.

Think theres a lesson in that last sentence for Mazda - other makes don't have the same issue - therefore Mazdas shouldn't either.

Its a shame really - its a brand new engine - and for all we know it could be a fabulous engine if it weren't for this issue.

I think though - we do need to get a better picture on whats actually happening with Skyactive on the ground - you mention Honest John for example - but under his current Mazda 6 review he mentions the Aussie situation with the CX 5 - and fears of oil levels raising - and says that this proved to be down to the dipstick and thus fears unfounded.

Im a bit sceptical of that however - but i think the key question is this - bearing in mind the CX 5 was the first car to use this engine - have we heard of this issue on the 3 or the 6 at all????

Advertisement