Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to boycott Isaraeli products

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Pointing out the double standard of selecting Israel alone for boycott isn't "shooting down" anyone.

It's the tone of the 'pointing out'. It's fair to say that 'protesting' is seen as undesirable and something carried out only by reprobates, by the majority who post in here. When in fact the opposite is true.

I don't think it's a case of double standards to call for a boycott in order to register protest at what is after all the mass murder of civilians by a huge military power.

Many people are already consciously boycotting products from other countries where abuses are common place.

Like, going by your logic we shouldn't protest anything unless we protest everything.

And then those who protest everything are 'professional protesters'.

Sometimes you pick your battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

keith16 wrote: »
    To say Israel is committing human rights abuse like any other number of countries is a fallacy.

No Keith.... Its a reality.
    Israel are in genocide territory here.

Hysteria doesn't help any argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

You should boycott purchases from all conflict zones & from all countries that abuse human rights.

Wouldn't want to be hypocritical after all.

christ if everyone took that attitude china would be bankrupt in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

To say Israel is committing human rights abuse like any other number of countries is a fallacy.

No Keith.... Its a reality.
    Israel are in genocide territory here.

Hysteria doesn't help any argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

endacl wrote: »
    Good point. Will do.

Anybody know how to make trousers out of turf?

you could use hemp :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

dilallio wrote: »
    Wile E. Coyote - Feel free to let us know of products manufactured in / by other purveyors of human rights abuses, and we will gladly boycott these.

It is unfair to assume that just because someone cares about one serious issue, that they don't care about others.

That'd include Guinness and Jameson according to recent UN reports.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Warper wrote: »
    Link to Israeli products sold in Ireland

http://www.ipsc.ie/campaigns/consumer-boycott

Every small move has some consequence
    Fantastic now I have a list of goods to buy to show my support for the brave troops of the IDF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

catallus wrote: »
    God love them, I know they have their problems and all that, but their spuds are pretty good.
    Prefer Cyprus or Egypt ones myself. HTF can they grow better spuds in a hill of scorched sand than we do here as a matter of interest?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Warper wrote: »
    So would you choose money over lives? I know which one i would choose and it aint the money

My Rent gets paid with lives....

And tears of my enemies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Maybe that's a bit strong? Even if it is, they have laid siege to a civilian population for over 8 years now, and they are running an apartheid state.
    Well they've been a racist state since their foundation, offering citizenship to anybody with a Jewish grandparent. Which was I believe coincidentally the same criteria the Godwin's law conforming Nazis used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

mcko wrote: »
    The Irish army buy their bullits from Israel even though ghey have killed Irish troops on the past.

And nobody in good ole Ireland called for a boycott of Israeli products back then...
    Sometimes we Irish are a bunch of bandwagon jumping hypocrites.

And, the Army have no input into where their 'bullits' or other equipment come from.
    That's a Government decision.
    (And to buy the cheapest)

BTW. If you visit the Knessett, there's a plaque on the grounds in front of the building which states that 'Ireland was the first country in the world to acknowledge the new State of Israel.'
    (Been there, and saw it for myself back in the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

For all the nay-sayers whinging about boycotting Israeli goods, can they offer any other solution by which ordinary people can put pressure on Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have yet to see any rational argument against a boycott of Israeli companies who are working in the occupied territories illegally. Its a targeted boycott, and not a way of life, where you have to boycott everything. Its a non-violent method to hurt Israeli illegal settlement project.

IMHO, produce from settlements should be banned under EU law, seeing as companies working in settlements are in violation of International law, and are engaged in criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Anyone using a mobile phone from all providers, or traditional land line (non UPC), if you want to boycott Israeli products, you'd better stop using your phone, as the billing software is from an Israeli company.

Billing software covers data, pay as you go, monthly billing.

Anyone using SKY, you'll have to stop, as the viewing card uses NDS encryption, again an Israeli company.

etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

stopped reading when one genius advocated boycotting Pizza because its an American invention, only wish he hadn't gone a step further and claimed the Hamburger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

christ if everyone took that attitude china would be bankrupt in a week

So it boils down to boycott X as long as it's not too inconvenient?

Think I'll carry onot buying whatever goods I like. I couldn't tell you where any of them come from cos I never look.

FTA69 wrote: »
    For all the nay-sayers whinging about boycotting Israeli goods, can they offer any other solution by which ordinary people can put pressure on Israel?

I hear they hate irish homeless people. Maybe sort their problems and stick it to the isrealis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Will have 0 effect, Gem stones diamonds metals, Weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Anyone using a mobile phone from all providers, or traditional land line (non UPC), if you want to boycott Israeli products, you'd better stop using your phone, as the billing software is from an Israeli company.

Billing software covers data, pay as you go, monthly billing.

Anyone using SKY, you'll have to stop, as the viewing card uses NDS encryption, again an Israeli company.

etc, etc.

Again, boycotts are targeted, for example targeting companies working in the occupied territories, which is what the link from the OP is suggesting.

As I said earlier, I have yet to see a reasonable argument as to why settlements shouldn't be boycotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I could never give up my Sodastream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Head on over there and get up in the IDFs faces when they are carrying out an operation.

Otherwise any of your protests will be completely ignored because Israel doesn't care what anyone thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Head on over there and get up in the IDFs faces when they are carrying out an operation.

Otherwise any of your protests will be completely ignored because Israel doesn't care what anyone thinks.

Considering they spend millions of dollars on their image abroad I wouldn't say that's true. They even pay people to come on sites like this and talk sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Thanks, OP, but I think I'll pass on this though.

wes wrote: »
    Again, boycotts are targeted, for example targeting companies working in the occupied territories, which is what the link from the OP is suggesting.

As I said earlier, I have yet to see a reasonable argument as to why settlements shouldn't be boycotted.

Should be or shouldn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

They even pay people to come on sites like this and talk sh*te.

Really, where's your proof of this? I'm genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have boycotted Hamas since like...forever.

Was never into their explosive vests. Then they kept trying to force their product on innocent Israelis who didn't want their product, so they had to build a big wall to stop the export of the explosive vests, and that worked.
    Now Hamas are so convinced of their life changing products, they want to export it through tunnels into Israel and fire their explosive products over the wall into Israel, which the Israelis don't want.

I am all for boycotting products that no one wants, especially if the people exporting them don't want to take no for an answer.

Hamas then get Gaza attacked by better explosives, a ceasefire agreement is arranged, Israel accepts, but Hamas are so sure the Israelis want their products, they keep exporting the explosives into Israel, and Hamas gets to keep Palestinians and Israelis being killed.

This is in line with their main product which is death.

Down with Hummus Hamas

Down with Hummus Hamas

Down with Hamas AND Hummus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Considering they spend millions of dollars on their image abroad I wouldn't say that's true. They even pay people to come on sites like this and talk sh*te.

Oh, could you pass my name along please, it would be great to be paid for something I'm good at :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement