Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Santa Monica/Venice Beach

Options
  • 14-07-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Heading to California at end of September for a few weeks and will be passing through LA. Have heard it's not a highlight of California so planning on just spending the night after Vegas, before possibly going to Six Flags.

Any suggestions on an affordable hotel? Vegas is looking expensive (unsurprisingly) so hoping to save a bit on the accommodation for this one night at least. Santa Monica and Venice Beach were recommended to me but struggling to find anything with decent reviews that isn't pricey. Ideally would like to spend a max of $150.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Stayed in the Cadillac Hotel in Venice Beach about 5 years ago - right on the boardwalk. Wasn't too dear from what I recall. Only downside is that it's right beside a bar but it was comfortable and clean so you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Stayed in the Cadillac Hotel in Venice Beach about 5 years ago - right on the boardwalk. Wasn't too dear from what I recall. Only downside is that it's right beside a bar but it was comfortable and clean so you can't go wrong.

A friend actually recommended that place to me too. It's looking like $175 but I guess that's close enough budget wise if I don't find anything else. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Last few times I've been out, I've stayed in Pasadena.

It's a relaxed enough spot, with plenty of great restaurants, shopping, parks & museums - all of which are within walking distance. The Metro Gold Line connects with Union Station too, if you want to give the car a day off. Otherwise there's easy access to the freeway.

I've booked with Priceline (name your own price) on the last few occasions & bagged the Westin & Mariott for about $135 p/n incl tax.

I've never used Priceline before, just had a look at the website there. Looks interesting, might give it a go. Have you generally had good experiences using the site? Do you tend to get better deals nearer your accommodation date?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SanfranCal

I presume you mean Las Vegas, Nevada when you say Vegas; and that your plan is to drive
    about 4.5 hours from Las Vegas to the Los Angeles area; i.e., Venice Beach.

Just another suggestion for you is to drive Las Vegas to Anaheim, California. Anaheim has the original Disneyland. I am finding out just this evening that it looks like Disney also built an adventure park called Disney California Adventure (DCA).

Either way, I think the Disney people always do things with class -- more so than Six Flags America. But this is just a matter of opinion.

You can google Disney and Disney California Adventure to get an idea of what theme park prices are.

Also, you can use Yelp.com to get a flavor of what people are saying about these theme parks. In the search box, just put in Disney or Disneyland and for the city, just put in Anaheim, CA.
    It should give you an idea of how people are rating these activities.

It seems a shame for you to be so close to a wonderful place such as Disneyland and not to take advantage.

I was not very impressed with what I read about the Cadillac Hotel. If you still plan to go to Venice Beach, I think I noticed that there is a large Marriott Hotel in Venice Beach. Some times the bigger hotels have more rooms and better deals.

Post again if you are going to stick with the Venice Beach area or if you are going to try Disneyland. I think if you were to go to Disneyland and DCA, you would need two days to cover them. Also, if they have hotels within the theme parks, it is always better to stay within the theme park.

Another advantage is that the kids will be back in school by late September, and so these activities and hotels will be less crowded in September, I would think.

• Advertisement

SanfranCal wrote: »
    I presume you mean Las Vegas, Nevada when you say Vegas; and that your plan is to drive
    about 4.5 hours from Las Vegas to the Los Angeles area; i.e., Venice Beach.

Just another suggestion for you is to drive Las Vegas to Anaheim, California. Anaheim has the original Disneyland. I am finding out just this evening that it looks like Disney also built an adventure park called Disney California Adventure (DCA).

Either way, I think the Disney people always do things with class -- more so than Six Flags America. But this is just a matter of opinion.

You can google Disney and Disney California Adventure to get an idea of what theme park prices are.

Also, you can use Yelp.com to get a flavor of what people are saying about these theme parks. In the search box, just put in Disney or Disneyland and for the city, just put in Anaheim, CA.
    It should give you an idea of how people are rating these activities.

It seems a shame for you to be so close to a wonderful place such as Disneyland and not to take advantage.

I was not very impressed with what I read about the Cadillac Hotel. If you still plan to go to Venice Beach, I think I noticed that there is a large Marriott Hotel in Venice Beach. Some times the bigger hotels have more rooms and better deals.

Post again if you are going to stick with the Venice Beach area or if you are going to try Disneyland. I think if you were to go to Disneyland and DCA, you would need two days to cover them. Also, if they have hotels within the theme parks, it is always better to stay within the theme park.

Another advantage is that the kids will be back in school by late September, and so these activities and hotels will be less crowded in September, I would think.

Yeah I've since had a look on tripadvisor and the reviews are a bit mixed on the Cadillac Hotel. I think I might look elsewhere.

With regard to Six Flags-it's not something I have much interest in, it's my boyfriend who has his heart set on it. He has been to Disneyland as a child I think and apparently it has to be Six Flags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

TheNibbler wrote: »
    I've never used Priceline before, just had a look at the website there. Looks interesting, might give it a go. Have you generally had good experiences using the site? Do you tend to get better deals nearer your accommodation date?

I use Priceline all the time in the US & find it delivers savings way above what you'd get by applying codes from the likes of Expedia or Hotels.com. I'd generally book a couple of days in advance, but folks do also use the 'name your own price' function a few months out with good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

We used airbnb and booked an apartment in a suburb of LA. We drove to Venice Beach then. Worked out great and saved us a fortune in LA as well.

As regards Vegas, if you haven't already booked we stayed in Bally's for $30 a night. Grand hotel and middle of the strip.

This was our blog when we did the West Coast last year around the same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I stayed in Santa Monica and L.A. for 3 days each...going back about 6 years though, but we stayed in a Best Western in Hollywood which was literally only about a mile's walk to the Hollywood walk of fame. Very reasonable and good value.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77247-Reviews-BEST_WESTERN_Hollywood_Plaza_Inn-Los_Angeles_California.html

I honestly, for the life of me can't remember the name of the hotel in Santa Monica, but it was quite close to the pier. Also pretty nice and reasonably priced.

Advertisement