Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance Armstrong being stripped of all titles.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do people think that <snip> was clean throughout 1987?

I don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do people think that <snip> was clean throughout 1987?

I'd say he was covered in oil and dirt having to sleep with his bike during the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

In a fully clean era he still would have been the GOAT.

1 ) Even with all his titles he was not considered the Greatest of all Time.

b ) Also, if everyone cheated and he won does not mean that if nobody cheated he would have still won. It does not work like that. The drugs have different effects on different people. He also had more money to put into it so had the best doctors ( or the same doctor working more for him then the rest ).

[/QUOTE]How many clean riders on that hill?[/QUOTE]

None

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It was necessary for riders who wished to operate at the required level of his team. Riders had the option to not take but be a dead duck for the remainder of their contract and get dropped thereafter. Armstrong didn't introduce doping to the sport, it was there long before he started riding.

Like all aspects of his preparation, he wanted it more and was more determined to win than the rest of the peleton. I've always thought this criticism particularly weird - like he would be less hateable if he'd only cheated in a half hearted manner?

What's so complicated about thinking that his actions in raising the doping bar which eventually lead to the death of several riders is more reprehensible than a guy who tried to level his perceived playing field by taking what everyone else is taking? As I read your view of the world it was ok for him to dope more than anyone else because he was more determined to win than anyone else. Otherwise read as - everyone else was a loser because they didn't dope like Armstrong and that's ok.

Nobody has ever suggested that Armstrong introduced doping into cycling.

You mentioned in an earlier post that Armstrong might have been a great because cancer changed his body. That's another myth he peddled to try and explain away his inexplicable performances.

I don't understand why anyone would continue to defend Armstrong. He's by his own admission a serial liar and cheater. He has done some horrible things to colleagues. The good that he has done with his foundation should not be dismissed but it shouldn't be overestimated either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't!

So in a dirty sport "everyone cheated" - everyone except the tour de france, giro and world championship triple winner.

And he was so good that year, but he never won anything before or after. 

• Advertisement

So in a dirty sport "everyone cheated" - everyone except the tour de france, giro and world championship triple winner.

And he was so good that year, but he never won anything before or after. 

If you read your question again, LL is agreeing with you.

Clearlier wrote: »
    What's so complicated about thinking that his actions in raising the doping bar which eventually lead to the death of several riders is more reprehensible than a guy who tried to level his perceived playing field by taking what everyone else is taking?

There's nothing complicated about that line of thought, infact it's far too simplistic. Because everyone knows the sport of cycling was / is / always will be crooked beyond compare the only way to assign moral failing to Armstrong is by whinging about him cheating more efficiently than everyone else.
    As I read your view of the world it was ok for him to dope more than anyone else because he was more determined to win than anyone else. Otherwise read as - everyone else was a loser because they didn't dope like Armstrong and that's ok.

No, everyone else loses any right to complain or feel cheated when they were taking the same thing as he was. If he was smarter about avoiding detection and more efficient in his overall scientific / nutrition / training / race strategy approach then so what? The argument here is incredibly weak and ultimately pares down to a sense of outrage at him being too good for too long allied to a frustration that pretty much everyone else got done apart from him.
    Nobody has ever suggested that Armstrong introduced doping into cycling.

Good. They should also park the suggestion that Armstrong himself took it to the next level. Ferrari was just a more studied scientist and Armstrong just had tighter and better coordinated teams. Armstrong didn't create new technologies or introduce strategies no one else used.
    You mentioned in an earlier post that Armstrong might have been a great because cancer changed his body. That's another myth he peddled to try and explain away his inexplicable performances.

It's not a myth that he dropped weight and mass, it's just fact. It's not a myth that he changed gear and cadence and set his objectives differently, it's just fact. He was doping before cancer too, his results and impact was different.
    I don't understand why anyone would continue to defend Armstrong. He's by his own admission a serial liar and cheater. He has done some horrible things to colleagues. The good that he has done with his foundation should not be dismissed but it shouldn't be overestimated either.

He has also done some great things for colleagues too. Lance Armstrong's professionalism, determination and will to win displayed during his career is inspirational. Coming back from cancer like he did to get back to being one of the most elite athletes in the world is inspirational.

My opinion is different to yours and we may never agree, but cycling is a doper sport and has been for a very long time. Armstrong played by the 'rules of the road' that everyone else did and beat them hands down time after time after time. I think there is a lot of sanctimonious bull**** written about sport in general when it comes to drugs but the cycling media are the worst offenders by far. As Armstrong has said - everyone made money off his back, including the likes of Kimmage and Walsh who made Armstrong their cash cow cause celebre and got plenty of work bleating about his moral failings.

The world doesn't want fully clean sport. The consequences of clean sport is catapulting back to pre 1960 and never seeing anything amazing yet again; not having world records broken, etc. Maybe there are the few who truly believe in the glory of a clean contest and the joy of pure competition. I could embrace it, but there are no doping controls strong enough to ensure that when there is so much money at stake. But the majority of sport is about entertainment and awe, and it is the height of naivety to think that the bulk of competitors are clean and that holding Armstrong up as an example will even scratch the surface of the problem.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    As Armstrong has said - everyone made money off his back, including the likes of Kimmage and Walsh who made Armstrong their cash cow cause celebre and got plenty of work bleating about his moral failings.

To be fair, Kimmage's pursuit of Armstrong came with a high tariff for quite some time.

To be fair, Kimmage's pursuit of Armstrong came with a high tariff for quite some time.

It also gave him lots of work and relevancy though, you can't deny that.

It also gave him lots of work and relevancy though, you can't deny that.

And I wouldn't try. But I don't think he's all that much better off now because of Lance Armstrong than he would have been if Lance Armstrong had never been a story.

• Advertisement

And I wouldn't try. But I don't think he's all that much better off now because of Lance Armstrong than he would have been if Lance Armstrong had never been a story.

Okay, fair enough. Unfair of me to unconsciously imply their Armstrong crusade was financially motivated anyway. I don't buy for a single second however his sell that in the absence of Armstrong we would have had a clean tour. You may have had a lower percentage of riders and teams doping in 1999 in the immediate aftermath of the Festina scandal, but things would have cascaded back to normal soon enough. Just too much of a payoff to using EPO in 99 and 00 before it was testable for teams to not risk it.

The nature of the sport will always lend itself to doping imo.

Okay, fair enough. Unfair of me to unconsciously imply their Armstrong crusade was financially motivated anyway. I don't buy for a single second however his sell that in the absence of Armstrong we would have had a clean tour. You may have had a lower percentage of riders and teams doping in 1999 in the immediate aftermath of the Festina scandal, but things would have cascaded back to normal soon enough. Just too much of a payoff to using EPO in 99 and 00 before it was testable for teams to not risk it.

The nature of the sport will always lend itself to doping imo.

I suppose it's because the full extent of his reach has been revealed and the lengths he went to whereas a lot of other cases are only ever seen in isolation, apart from Festina obviously. So it looks like his role sent blood doping and drug taking through the roof.

I don't buy it either but it will always be speculated on in that context.

The blood passport is a positive but it's hard to think the pharmacists won't always be at least one step ahead of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

This popped up on my newsfeed this morning, good read on what he's up to now..

http://www.esquire.com/features/lance-armstrong-interview-0814

scrumqueen wrote: »
    This popped up on my newsfeed this morning, good read on what he's up to now..

http://www.esquire.com/features/lance-armstrong-interview-0814

Thanks for linking that article, brilliant read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

And in the era Lance was in every other pro cyclist was cheating just like Lance was. And he beat their ****ing brains out. Time after time after time after time.

Bit of a contraction here...
    Good. They should also park the suggestion that Armstrong himself took it to the next level. Ferrari was just a more studied scientist and Armstrong just had tighter and better coordinated teams. Armstrong didn't create new technologies or introduce strategies no one else used.

I'm not saying every cyclist was clean. But if you're a cyclist who is finishing 50th in the tour de France and you know the 49 ahead of you are on drugs then what do you do? If everyone on the Tour knew Lance was on drugs, they probably did then there only two options were to settle for average finishes or join him. Lance isn't the big evil monster, but I think that's the reason drug cheats have to be crushed when found out.

Also, Lance Armstrong was in the business of cheating with drugs. He had everything set up perfectly because he knew this is what he wanted to do. Drugs are a leveler. Other riders who took drugs would have less knowledge etc so their effects would have been less so I certainly wouldn't agree that it can be said that he wold have done just as well if he and everyone else wasn't on drugs.

I'm not saying every cyclist was clean. But if you're a cyclist who is finishing 50th in the tour de France and you know the 49 ahead of you are on drugs then what do you do? If everyone on the Tour knew Lance was on drugs, they probably did then there only two options were to settle for average finishes or join him. Lance isn't the big evil monster, but I think that's the reason drug cheats have to be crushed when found out.

Lance Armstrong didn't introduce that dilemma to the sport. He admits himself that as a World Champion he had to suck it up and get on the medical program to be competitive in 1994. Kimmage's book on his pro career clearly shows that the issue existed in the Roche era and clean winners of major races were unlikely.

Despite repeated doping bans the issue was prevalent all the way through to 2009 at least - and it remains to be seen whether the blood passport will fully eliminate dopers.
    Also, Lance Armstrong was in the business of cheating with drugs. He had everything set up perfectly because he knew this is what he wanted to do. Drugs are a leveler. Other riders who took drugs would have less knowledge etc so their effects would have been less so I certainly wouldn't agree that it can be said that he wold have done just as well if he and everyone else wasn't on drugs.

:confused:

He knew he wanted to compete in a doping era against doping riders so he doped. Again, other riders cheating less efficiently is not his problem and a very poor stick to beat him with.

I'll agree that there is doubt as to what would have happened in a fully clean race. Would we have Indurain's five wins? Would Ulrich have been competing for the prize? Would Pantani have been the supreme mountain goat? We can be certain Armstrong would have had the determination to push himself to his own personal limit and that he had talent. The rest is very debateable I'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

That esquire article made me realise why I still kinda like Armstrong. Despite all he's been through, cancer survival, 7 tours and all the lies and bullying and now going through a downfall the likes of which hasn't been seen before (much worse than Tiger Woods or Bill Clinton or pretty much anyone bar Jimmy Saville) he never once mentions Jesus.

Any American scandal-ee who's high profile will always play the Jesus card because you're pretty much guaranteed a portion of society will forgive you if you go with christ (brah).

I respect that he never played that card. He clearly has no faith but neither do most of the people who miraculously find J-Dog after a scandal. He could have easily pedalled another lie there but he hasn't.

Fair play to him on that.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

kevpants wrote: »
    I respect that he never played that card. He clearly has no faith but neither do most of the people who miraculously find J-Dog after a scandal. He could have easily pedalled another lie .

+1 for J-Dog

kevpants wrote: »
    He could have easily pedalled another lie there but he hasn't.

Nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

And in the era Lance was in every other pro cyclist was cheating just like Lance was. And he beat their ****ing brains out. Time after time after time after time.

I personally think it's fascinating that people are displeased with her book and position on the whole thing. They want an easy 'Lance was a cheat and is essentially the Devil' narrative. Instead, she is detailing exactly how he cheated but also explaining that the medical program he was engaged in was the standard at the time and he was an unbelievable physical specimen and competitor on top of it all.

Armstrong was a tremendous athlete who used doping protocols to push his body to the limit.
    Armstrong is a man who has made a huge personal contribution to the fight on cancer while also being central to bringing a major sport into disrepute.
    Armstrong has been described as a loyal and caring man on a personal level while also being aggressive to a ridiculous and indefensible extent against those who blew the whistle on him and chased him down.
    Armstrong is a man who might have got away with it all if he'd allowed accusations to swirl around him and hadn't felt the need to sue and face down all of his detractors.

How many clean riders on that hill?

Your argument for how he is a tremendous athlete is horribly flawed. How many clean riders on that hill? Not many, but not all cheaters are created equal are they? Armstrong was a better doper, not a better cyclist; not like that matters, because how many people were left off that hill as a result of all those cúnts cheating a living?

In a fully clean era he still would have been the GOAT... my arse. He wasn't exactly great prior to doping, was he? If a sex trafficker made major contributions to charity on the back of money he made illegally would you be singing his praises as well? The guy stole a living off many clean athletes and is widely regarded as a complete arsehole from anyone that has had any dealings with him. He pressured others to use drugs and essentially rid the team of anyone unwilling to dope. He's a complete príck I literally can't believe that there are people who defend him, still, despite everything finally being laid out.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Your argument for how he is a tremendous athlete is horribly flawed. How many clean riders on that hill? Not many, but not all cheaters are created equal are they? Armstrong was a better doper, not a better cyclist; not like that matters, because how many people were left off that hill as a result of all those cúnts cheating a living?

Of his eight TDF podiums, only one rider who stood with him has (of yet) had no doping charges proved against them. Those off the hill made a choice not to dope and make no mistake - the choice was that stark (and probably still is to some extent). Dope and compete or be clean and struggle to hold a decent contract. Armstrong didn't introduce that choice, it was there long before he began his career and remained after he retired in 2005.

It is also inarguable that he was a tremendous athlete, as all of the other dopers in the TDF have been. As we all know, the drugs don't do the work. Cycling is a sport of elite athletes who pursue medical assistance to the limit on top of nutrition and dedicated training. And Armstrong dominated it like no cyclist before him (and likely none after).
    In a fully clean era he still would have been the GOAT... my arse. He wasn't exactly great prior to doping, was he? .

He was a World Champion as a clean rider. The dividing line in his career is cancer. He was doping for a couple of years before he was struck down by the illness, during which he was a strong one day racer and major tour stage threat. When he returned, he continued to dope but had become a far stronger climber.
    If a sex trafficker made major contributions to charity on the back of money he made illegally would you be singing his praises as well?

Comparing Lance Armstrong to a sex trafficker is ridiculous and isn't worthy of comment.

The guy stole a living off many clean athletes

Lance Armstrong didn't steal a living off clean athletes. Let's be clear on this - the prevailing culture of cycling pre and post Armstrong was doper friendly. That culture stole a living off clean athletes, not Armstrong. If he wasn't around 1999 - 2005 every one of those tours would have been won by dopers, and the top 10 spots each year filled with dopers with rare exceptions.
    and is widely regarded as a complete arsehole from anyone that has had any dealings with him.

Read the esquire article in this thread, or watch the interview that rekindled this thread. Not everyone sees him as the devil incarnate. Like many elite sportsmen, he had a ferocious competitive streak that he didn't know how to switch off and he certainly attacked his accusers to an indefensibly inappropriate extent. But the guy clearly has been involved in doing lots of good in the world too.
    He pressured others to use drugs and essentially rid the team of anyone unwilling to dope.

Do you think Festina were caught bringing in boatloads of drugs in 1998 because they had a relaxed opt in / opt out doping policy? Anyone unwilling to dope was going to be dropped from the team because their performance level was not up to scratch. It was the realities of cycling at the sharp end in that era.
    He's a complete príck I literally can't believe that there are people who defend him, still, despite everything finally being laid out.

I am not defending the fact that he went too far in batting back his accusers over the years, and he was too aggressive and forthright in his denials. However it is utter bull**** to try and pin a broken sporting culture on one man or to pretend that doping was half hearted or amateurish before he came along. Moreover, as much as people might not like it, he has been an inspirational figure to cancer sufferers and survivors and has made a great personal contribution to supporting those affected by the disease.

People want this to be simple and black and white - unfortunately it isn't.

The argument that he wouldn't have been the greatest in a 100% clean field is as pointless as the argument that he would have been because no one will ever know.

I haven't read that Esquire article in full (if someone could throw up some bullet points, that'd be swell...) but he's done many reprehensible things in his career but that revolved around doping/drug-taking. I'm not making excuses for him in any way, shape or form. I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily make him a despicable person.

There are plenty of people in the realm of sport that get away with being c**ts off the pitch without being tarred with the despicable brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

Of his eight TDF podiums, only one rider who stood with him has (of yet) had no doping charges proved against them. Those off the hill made a choice not to dope and make no mistake - the choice was that stark (and probably still is to some extent). Dope and compete or be clean and struggle to hold a decent contract. Armstrong didn't introduce that choice, it was there long before he began his career and remained after he retired in 2005.

It is also inarguable that he was a tremendous athlete, as all of the other dopers in the TDF have been. As we all know, the drugs don't do the work. Cycling is a sport of elite athletes who pursue medical assistance to the limit on top of nutrition and dedicated training. And Armstrong dominated it like no cyclist before him (and likely none after).

He was a World Champion as a clean rider. The dividing line in his career is cancer. He was doping for a couple of years before he was struck down by the illness, during which he was a strong one day racer and major tour stage threat. When he returned, he continued to dope but had become a far stronger climber.

Comparing Lance Armstrong to a sex trafficker is ridiculous and isn't worthy of comment.

Lance Armstrong didn't steal a living off clean athletes. Let's be clear on this - the prevailing culture of cycling pre and post Armstrong was doper friendly. That culture stole a living off clean athletes, not Armstrong. If he wasn't around 1999 - 2005 every one of those tours would have been won by dopers, and the top 10 spots each year filled with dopers with rare exceptions.

Read the esquire article in this thread, or watch the interview that rekindled this thread. Not everyone sees him as the devil incarnate. Like many elite sportsmen, he had a ferocious competitive streak that he didn't know how to switch off and he certainly attacked his accusers to an indefensibly inappropriate extent. But the guy clearly has been involved in doing lots of good in the world too.

Do you think Festina were caught bringing in boatloads of drugs in 1998 because they had a relaxed opt in / opt out doping policy? Anyone unwilling to dope was going to be dropped from the team because their performance level was not up to scratch. It was the realities of cycling at the sharp end in that era.

I am not defending the fact that he went too far in batting back his accusers over the years, and he was too aggressive and forthright in his denials. However it is utter bull**** to try and pin a broken sporting culture on one man or to pretend that doping was half hearted or amateurish before he came along. Moreover, as much as people might not like it, he has been an inspirational figure to cancer sufferers and survivors and has made a great personal contribution to supporting those affected by the disease.

He took drugs to win. Simply wrong. To cover it up he bullied, lied and cheated. If others did it they are as bad.

He tried to destroy anyone that got in his way. The man is a fraud.

Figerty wrote: »
    He took drugs to win. Simply wrong. To cover it up he bullied, lied and cheated. If others did it they are as bad.

He tried to destroy anyone that got in his way. The man is a fraud.

He operated in a sport where all the top contenders of his era have been proven to have done it. If he wanted to win he had no choice but to take drugs.

He went too far in attacking his detractors, that is most definitely his worst failing.

The sport of cycling, elite endurance sports, and the majority of sport in general is a fraud. People can continue to believe in fairy tales if they wish of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

He was a doper, the end. You don't know what kind of natural athlete he was.

Stronger as a result of what? More advanced doping techniques, msot likely.

The culture didn't steal anything. The culture may have been around before around before Lance but he, and anyone else who chose to dope, effectively stole a living and potentially a living from a clean athlete. Lance did everything he could to preserve said culture.

It is fairly black and white. He was the most successful doper and also the most aggressive. Just because he did charity work on the back of fake success doesn't excuse what he did in any way, shape or form.

I think we'll agree to disagree because, as a right minded person, I won't be swayed into becoming a Lance Armstrong fan on the basis that he is arguably the most vile sportsman ever. Plenty of other cyclists have a lot to answer for, and I agree that he is a scapegoat, but he deserves everything he is getting let's be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

He operated in a sport where all the top contenders of his era have been proven to have done it. If he wanted to win he had no choice but to take drugs.

He went too far in attacking his detractors, that is most definitely his worst failing.
    The sport of cycling, elite endurance sports, and the majority of sport in general is a fraud. People can continue to believe in fairy tales if they wish of course...

How many honest men had to give up their dreams because they wouldn't bend to the dishonest. His worst failing was taking drugs and thinking he was a hero.

The governing body are a disgrace for allowing this to happen.

Armstrong should be in jail.

How many honest men had to give up their dreams because they wouldn't bend to the dishonest. His worst failing was taking drugs and thinking he was a hero.

On his own or with all the other cyclists that blood doped, took EEPO, etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

If your honest man's dream was to be the best cyclist (and be clean) then maybe they got their dream regardless? All they have to do is measure themselves against the other honest men only.
    If their dream was to be internationally recognised/famous for being the best and make a ton of money, then yeah they got kinda screwed. Sort of silly dream though.
    If their dream was just to make a bunch of money then they should've tried a much smarter career than pro sports athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

What do people think of Emma O' Reilly??

Have heard a good few interviews with her and I can't say I really like her. Something not very truthful about her (yes I know she is the main whistleblower).

I find this whole thing strange - I can't say I like any of the people involved - Kimmage and Walsh are annoying assholes too.

• Advertisement

Not being likeable doesn't invalidate the truth you tell.

I can't see any problem with EO'R. She doesn't try to demonise LA. She doesn't have to.Her story is what it is.

Advertisement