Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi Movement of Jews to Warsaw (From Switzerland)

Options
  • 01-06-2014 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Did Nazi Germany move Jews from Switzerland to Warsaw (presumably the Warsaw ghetto).

I'm trying to research the following acronyms that appear together.

JRW (Juden Rat Warchau). Jewish Council/Board Warsaw and

RZW which I understand might be Region Zentralschweiz West (Region Central Switzerland West).

Any ideas as to why the two acronyms would appear on the same official stamp?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've not come across any reference to Swiss Jews being moved. In that Switzerland was neutral during that conflict. There is always an issue concerning looted assets being transferred, which has been the object to numerous legal cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks Manach. I might have got the acronym wrong?

(Although this does not relate to the stamp ( I think), In 1938 October 5: Following request by Swiss authorities, Germans mark all Jewish passports with a large letter "J" to restrict Jews from immigrating to Switzerland).

...or perhaps the movement of German Jews to one of 3 Swiss concentration camps?

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jan/13/news/mn-7822

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Might Jews have been transported through Switzerland?

The Swiss allowed the Germans to trans-ship all manner of goods through their territory. It was only in late 1944 that they started to impose limits.......when the Yanks threaten to attack railway tunnels on their territory to halt this traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Kettleson wrote: »
    Did Nazi Germany move Jews from Switzerland to Warsaw (presumably the Warsaw ghetto).

I'm trying to research the following acronyms that appear together.

JRW (Juden Rat Warchau). Jewish Council/Board Warsaw and

RZW which I understand might be Region Zentralschweiz West (Region Central Switzerland West).

Any ideas as to why the two acronyms would appear on the same official stamp?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Switzerland. I ran a Google Translate for Jewish Council Warsaw into Polish and got:

Rada Żydowska Warszawa

So JRW and RZW could both refer to the same body - it would make sense that both Polish and German were used in official documents and stamps in occupied Poland.

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Switzerland. I ran a Google Translate for Jewish Council Warsaw into Polish and got:

Rada Żydowska Warszawa

So JRW and RZW could both refer to the same body - it would make sense that both Polish and German were used in official documents and stamps in occupied Poland.

Ahh! That's it I'd say. Thanks Benny.

I checked Michael Burleigh's recent book, 'Moral Combat': there was mention of Jewish council setup in Switzerland from 1936 onwards to lobby on behalf of Jews in Germany.

Hi all:

I have given the stamp to The Holocaust Education Trust Ireland (HETI) for use during educational seminars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GideonMcGrane

Kettleson wrote: »
    ...or perhaps the movement of German Jews to one of 3 Swiss concentration camps?

The Swiss seemed really bad against the Jews:

["The Swiss were really sadistic: They wanted to hurt the Jews--to deliberately hurt the Jews," Alan Morris Schom, the American historian who wrote the study, said in a telephone interview from his home in the Loire Valley of France.]

I also heard that Hitler "offered" the German Jews to the US but they were refused, so just about everyone had it in for them.

Here's something about it:

The conference proved a failure because both the United States and Britain refused to accept any (substantially) more refugees, and most of the countries at the conference followed suit, the result being that the Jews had no escape and were ultimately subject to what was known as Hitler's "Final Solution to the Jewish Question". The conference was seen by some as "an exercise in Anglo-American collaborative hypocrisy."

Evian conference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Here is probably the most comprehensive study on Switzerland during the WW2:

http://www.uek.ch/en/index.htm

Happily the Swiss have a zero tolerance to deniers and their laws against denial are just as strict as Germany, France and Austrias.

Although its not all plain sailing I see...

Doğu Perinçek Absolved: European Court Finds Switzerland Violated Genocide Denier's Right to 'Freedom of Expression'.
    The European Court of Human Rights on Dec. 17, 2013 found that the right of Doğu Perinçek to freedom of expression had been violated when a court in Switzerland found him guilty of racial discrimination for publicly denying that the Ottoman Empire had perpetrated the crime of genocide against the Armenian people in 1915 and the following years.

I think we need to bring in denier laws here to stop the spread of neo-nazism and holocaust deniers.

All these people do is bring their hatred and anti-semitism with them, surely we have a duty to stop them in their tracks?

Anyone know what stage this Bill is at; has it progressed since Shatter left office?

Published on Tuesday 8th April 2014
    Second Stage Speech by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter TD: Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission Bill 2014.

merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2014/04/second-stage-speech-by-the-minister-for-justice-equality-and-defence-alan-shatter-td-irish-human-rights-and-equality-commission-bill-2014/?cat=66

Anyone know what stage this Bill is at; has it progressed since Shatter left office?

Published on Tuesday 8th April 2014
    Second Stage Speech by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter TD: Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission Bill 2014.

www.
    merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2014/04/second-stage-speech-by-the-minister-for-justice-equality-and-defence-alan-shatter-td-irish-human-rights-and-equality-commission-bill-2014/?cat=66

Given the rather dire historical depth of Mr. Shatter's knowledge on other matters I'd hope any restrictions on free speech and debate that are implicit both in the Irish Constitution and the ECHR (convenied in reaction to the curtailing of human rights post WWII) would be enough to halt any such ridiculous denier law in Ireland. The odd occasion when a pro-Irving type posts on this forum, they are dispelled by the force of overwhelming evidence and not by force of law.

Manach wrote: »
    Given the rather dire historical depth of Mr. Shatter's knowledge on other matters I'd hope any restrictions on free speech and debate that are implicit both in the Irish Constitution and the ECHR (convenied in reaction to the curtailing of human rights post WWII) would be enough to halt any such ridiculous denier law in Ireland. The odd occasion when a pro-Irving type posts on this forum, they are dispelled by the force of overwhelming evidence and not by force of law.

They are usually banned forthwith, and quite right too, not like P.ie where they let deniers say what they want, that place is overrun with deniers.

Advertisement