Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Pay Policy

Options
  • 28-06-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have just received new contract from company I am joining.

The sick pay policy is

'The company will not make any payment for any day that you do attend work. You may be entitled to claim social welfare benefit from the Department of Social Protection'.

So basically they want 100% commitment from me but If i get break my leg/get sick/etc. they couldn't give a hoot.

I know this is common place with agency workers but this is a full time perm job.

Is this normal?

I'd like to query this with the Manager but not sure how to go about it? Thoughts/Opinions? I don't want to come across as a guy who is concerned about sick pay and is planning to take a load of sick days, but at the same stage I am annoyed at this. Should this not have being mentioned to me? Christ Tesco's will pay ya if your out sick.

Would it be fair to say I am working on an hourly basis now really? This is certainly not how job was sold to me.

Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is this normal?

This is definitely common, and quite understandable too, IMO.

It seems pretty clearly laid out, so I'm not sure what there is to query with the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I've never worked anywhere that didn't pay sick pay and I'm not sure that I'd want to unless the hourly rate was significantly higher to compensate for it. I haven't had a sick day in at least seven years, but I'm only human and even machines break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

A lot of places don't pay for sick days, and if they do it's at most 5 days a year. You can ask and see if you can use your annual leave in lieu of losing payment but other than that there's not much else to be done. I don't think it's worth kicking up a fuss this early over what is probably going to be 2-3 days of pay a year.

Is this a professional job? In that case it is mildly surprising but not uncommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd say it's quite common.

Of course, perhaps in practice they do pay on a discretionary basis, but just have that in the policy to cover themselves.

It's certainly not something I'd make a fuss about when starting in a new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

The reality is that more places don't give sick pay than those that do. There isno legal obligation to pay sick leave so most companies don't. In fact a lot of places that used to pay have changed their policies. And I thinl you'll find that tesco don't pay sick pay, and I would guess close to zero retail employers pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Op, it really depends on your basic salary. If it's a decent salary, you should put money into a rainy day fund that should cover the odd sick day. You might also consider taking out an income protection policy to cover longer term illnesses.
    Also, what's your annual leave like? If it's 25 days, well that's equivalent to 20 days statutory annual leave, and another 5 days you could essentially use as sick days.

If your basic salary isn't great, you could ask them to bump it up a bit, pointing out that while the basic pay offered is in line with other jobs, the benefits aren't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Feel free to get another job with better T&Cs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Feel free to get another job with better T&Cs.

Someone red card this, not helpful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tesco's warehouse used to pay sick pay up to 12 weeks per year. The workers used to take exactly 12 weeks off sick. At the same time of year, usually the summer. Every year.
    I know this, as I sat in on a meeting between management, staff, and the union. The staff and union didn't dispute this.

As with everything, some people take a good thing, take the complete piss out of it, and ruin it for everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Why is it not helpful advice?

Too many people only look at the salary when they're assessing a prospective job.

Ancillary stuff like this should also be factored in.

• Advertisement

I disagree. It's fairly sound advice. If the op wrote "I got offered a job but I'm not happy with the salary" people will most likely say "well, don't take it!"
    pablo128 wrote: »
    As with everything, some people take a good thing, take the complete piss out of it, and ruin it for everyone else.

Once again, I disagree. If a company is offering generous sick leave, it would be sad to see the most unhealthy people benefiting from it, when some one fitter and more active is expected to show up every single day with no extra thanks.

I worked in a company that actually rewarded staff with a bonus day of annual leave if they didn't take a sickie in a quarter. up to 4 days a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Nor is back seat modding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You need to look at this when applying, as well as salary and other benefits, it would be important to me, haven't worked anywhere without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Companies only have to pay you for time you work. Imagine if you were an employer - would you fancy paying people taking sick leave.

And, yes set days paid sick leave is abused, especially in the P... actual Let's not go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I appreciate all the views - I can see there is a disagreement here among posters.

It is a professional job with large company - I can't really give any more details.

I did check out the benefits and salary - I didn't even think to ask about sick pay - naively I suppose I just presumed there was sick pay for perm employee - I've never heard of there not being sick pay (again maybe I was being naive here).

I am not getting above industry rate yet I feel like contractor now but without extra pay - in fact I suppose I feel like hourly paid employee now really and I don't feel like I will be there too long and I don't feel secure.

This is just my opinion and I see already how people will disagree with me but I can't see how company expects to me commit psychologically to this job - I could bust my ass for 2 years, have an accident one night and basically the company couldn't care less nor will they pay me. Lets say I am in the middle of a project and I go out sick suddenly - I know they will want me to ring in and give updates (which I normally would) but I'd find it a bit strange ringing in giving updates and the company won't even pay for my sick leave. I could be out sick and they'd want me to ring in with updates yet they don't even pay.

I find it a joke they want medical certificate yet it ain't like yee are paying me lads.

Again I know people will differ too me but that is the way I look at it and that is how I feel about it.

Also lets not get into people riding sick leave - I am not one of those and I am not looking for a free ride.

I'd say it's quite common.

Of course, perhaps in practice they do pay on a discretionary basis, but just have that in the policy to cover themselves.

It's certainly not something I'd make a fuss about when starting in a new job!

Oh I defo won't be making a fuss about it - no point - it is what it is and I'll just have to put up with it.

However I am already looking for new job due to this and not feeling positive about it - I did 3 interviews with them so I presume they are keen. No matter what happens I'll kinda always have this ticking away in the back of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We need a new James Larkin.
    Workers conditions are being eroded on a whim now because jobs are short. Many employers taking advantage.

Workers conditions are being eroded on a whim now because jobs are short. Many employers taking advantage.

That's an argument for another thread. You don't know what the op's earning so you can't say the employer is taking advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

If you break your leg or get sick op that's your tough sh1t! What annoys me is that people think it's there God given right to expect their employer to fund sick days. Bear in mind your employer is already suffering as a result of your non-attendance.
    In my experience sick leave is abused especially in public sector. it's seen as a target and not a limit.
    Is anybody grateful anymore to be employed. Maybe a few months on the dole will change your attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

tenifan wrote: »
    I disagree. It's fairly sound advice. If the op wrote "I got offered a job but I'm not happy with the salary" people will most likely say "well, don't take it!"

Once again, I disagree. If a company is offering generous sick leave, it would be sad to see the most unhealthy people benefiting from it, when some one fitter and more active is expected to show up every single day with no extra thanks.

I worked in a company that actually rewarded staff with a bonus day of annual leave if they didn't take a sickie in a quarter. up to 4 days a year.
    This is an absolute disgraceful attitude. I guarantee if you became self employed tomorrow with 20 employees your attitude towards would change very quickly.

• Advertisement

beanie10 wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgraceful attitude. I guarantee if you became self employed tomorrow with 20 employees your attitude towards would change very quickly.

:confused: it's not a disgraceful attitude. (and apologies for dragging the op's thread slightly OT)

At the moment I have 20 days annual leave, and 5 sick days. My job can be a little bit stressful at times, so I like to treat myself to an impromptu sick day once every 2 months. I don't take sick days when work's busy and I get all my work done.

In comparison, a woman I work with gets 27 days annual leave, a sick leave entitlement of several months (reduced pay after a certain amount I believe) and has already taken about 20 so far this year at times inconvenient to other team members. Her health problems are self inflicted as a result of obesity and smoking.

According to you, I'm the one abusing the system.

But my point of view: I'm a "knowledge worker" in a salaried position. I'm not a drone or a piece of equipment rented at an hourly rate. Why would you begrudge me a few days off that costs the company very little and gives me a degree of flexibility and increased satisfaction in my job?

I would gladly forgo paid sick leave in exchange for an additional annual leave entitlement, or perhaps a higher basic wage. It's up to my employer to put in place a pay and benefits package that is acceptable to me to stop me from looking for a better package elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

tenifan wrote: »
    At the moment I have 20 days annual leave, and 5 sick days. My job can be a little bit stressful at times, so I like to treat myself to an impromptu sick day once every 2 months

That's what your annual leave is for. Your behaviour is disgraceful and in my view you should be fired for it. The bottom line is that you're being dishonest and untrustworthy. Pretending that you're sick and skiving off is lying - It's dishonest and morally wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lets say I am in the middle of a project and I go out sick suddenly - I know they will want me to ring in and give updates (which I normally would) but I'd find it a bit strange ringing in giving updates and the company won't even pay for my sick leave. I could be out sick and they'd want me to ring in with updates yet they don't even pay.

They need to plan around your absence, so it makes sense they'd expect you to ring in with updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have a counter example: I went to work on-site for a large multi-national, through an agency, in 2007. At that time, the policy was no paid sick leave. Went back to the same gig, on the same salary, in 2011, and the only policy change was a few days paid sick leave entitlement. I think the difference was EU policy, rather than any union leadership.

I apologise if my earlier post was a little terse: one of the hazards of posting from the phone. But I totally stand by the comment. Labour economics is very simple. There is demand and supply, and the overall compensation is based what is required in order to get workers to supply their labour. If you don't like what's on offer, you simply need to get another job, negotiate, or put up with it. If a company has explicitly said that their policy is no paid sick leave, then it's very unlikely that they will negotiate on this, so the choice is simple, if unpalatable.

Something to keep in mind is the difference between sick leave (ie permission to not attend work without prior agreement, due to your being sick) and paid sick leave. There is no legal requirement in Ireland to offer either. But most employers do offer the first, and some - mainly public sector - offer the second too. And the majority of people are eligible for welfare after the first six days of being off due to sickness. (Used to be three days, was increased a budget or two ago.)

Fundamentally, an employment contract is an agreement to exchange labour (or labour+knowledge-and-skill) for cash. If you become unable to meet your side of the deal, it's not really fair that the employer should have to meet theirs.

Eoin wrote: »
    They need to plan around your absence, so it makes sense they'd expect you to ring in with updates.

Not a chance Eoin - they can kiss my ass now. I do respect and acknowledge what your saying but I feel very different about it. We all have expectations I suppose - I expect company to pay sick leave but there you go I suppose.

I'll make it quite clear they are not to ring me whilst on sick leave (if ever on sick leave). Not a chance they are ringing me whilst off sick and they are not even paying me.

This for me is more to do with the psychology of the situation really - anytime I've being out sick with a previous company I'd always drop them an email with updates,things that need to be done,etc. even when not needed/ expected. I feel very different about this situation. I am rarely sick but I feel this is just going to be indicative of the way they treat employees.

I kind of thought this was only for contractors/agency workers but obviously looking at responses here I understand I am wrong.

Thanks for all responses folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

That's what unions / labour party are supposed to be for. Neither are any good if you're not in the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Oh I defo won't be making a fuss about it - no point - it is what it is and I'll just have to put up with it.

However I am already looking for new job due to this and not feeling positive about it - I did 3 interviews with them so I presume they are keen. No matter what happens I'll kinda always have this ticking away in the back of my mind.

That's the answer ... Get another job where you are happy with the Ts & Cs.

I have a counter example: I went to work on-site for a large multi-national, through an agency, in 2007. At that time, the policy was no paid sick leave. Went back to the same gig, on the same salary, in 2011, and the only policy change was a few days paid sick leave entitlement. I think the difference was EU policy, rather than any union leadership.

I apologise if my earlier post was a little terse: one of the hazards of posting from the phone. But I totally stand by the comment. Labour economics is very simple. There is demand and supply, and the overall compensation is based what is required in order to get workers to supply their labour. If you don't like what's on offer, you simply need to get another job, negotiate, or put up with it. If a company has explicitly said that their policy is no paid sick leave, then it's very unlikely that they will negotiate on this, so the choice is simple, if unpalatable.

Something to keep in mind is the difference between sick leave (ie permission to not attend work without prior agreement, due to your being sick) and paid sick leave. There is no legal requirement in Ireland to offer either. But most employers do offer the first, and some - mainly public sector - offer the second too. And the majority of people are eligible for welfare after the first six days of being off due to sickness. (Used to be three days, was increased a budget or two ago.)

Fundamentally, an employment contract is an agreement to exchange labour (or labour+knowledge-and-skill) for cash. If you become unable to meet your side of the deal, it's not really fair that the employer should have to meet theirs.

I accept your apology :) I don't really disagree with anything you are saying there at all, but you are looking at things in a very cold,legal light shall we say.

I am kind of referring to the psychological contract shall we say - I am not exactly going to be telling people 'Oh yeah I've a fantastic employer who treats me well'.

Just reading a bit about their core values and how much they care about people - I sniggered when I read this.

Rightly or wrongly I don't feel this is fair and it will be there in the back of my mind. Am I going to give the company 120% like I would normally do? Honestly no as I mentioned before if I've an accident they will not help me in any way, shape or form - again I get that is their right and off with them. I am not busting my ass for any company that operates this way - again tis just the psychology of the thing as I am pretty sure I won't even call in sick in the next year!!

Jasus I was entitled to sick pay in Tesco's stacking shelves at 16!

Either way I'll just have to suck it up and get on with it, but I don't think they'll ever have my full commitment if that makes sense - I'll do my job well of course but they'll never have me fully if that makes any sense to people. Sure already I am looking at ways out/looking at job website/planning to stay 6 months. I already was a bit disappointed with salary and lack of benefits and this was the final straw!

professore wrote: »
    That's the answer ... Get another job where you are happy with the Ts & Cs.

I know but I'd rather be bouncing into my new job and looking at it long term. I am thinking now 'What else is there lads' 'Anything else I might not be aware of'. I am thinking negatively about new employer which is not nice!

I've learned my lesson though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I posted earlier about being in a meeting in Tesco warehouse between management, workers and union. The above paragraph was basically what Tesco were telling their workers.

Advertisement