Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Don't Watch Movies

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Do you trust them?

I'm in the pub, just me and the old farmer at the top of the brae with the gammy knee, football is over and Beverley Hills Cop III comes on. What does the barman do? Turns off the telly, just as me and the oul lad were settling in to a bit of Eddie Murphy before we are fcuked out. I love the barman to bits, but he has never watched a film in his life, no Die Hard, no Gone With The Wind, no Godfather.

He's a sound enough fella at the same time, so maybe he's right and I'm wrong. Do you know anyone doesn't like films? Are they. . .normal enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I really don't get it, but to each their own! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Do you trust them?

I'm in the pub, just me and the old farmer at the top of the brae with the gammy knee

What position did you put the farmer in last night that his knee is gammy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What position did you put the farmer in last night that his knee is gammy?

He tripped over a grouse.

A Famous one. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I'd report him to the guards, there has to be some law against this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No I don't know any such people.

I know someone who doesn't like music though, and no, it's not normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't go to the pub to watch films, I go to to the cinema to watch films.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Why would you want to watch the start of a movie in the pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Not much point in watching it backwards?

siblers wrote: »
    I don't go to the pub to watch films, I go to to the cinema to watch films.

Donegal in a bar on a Saturday night in the early nineties you had two choices for entertainment, Total Recall or Prince Naseem.

You weren't there, man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'd fall into that category.

I can think about of about 5 or 6 films that I've ever really loved (most would be childhood moves like Star Wars, ET, Rumblefish etc.) and usually only watch them to humour my wife who likes them.

Not saying I hate watching some of them at the time and that they are not enjoyable on a superficial level but they generally don't make the long-term impact on me that literature or music does.

If my wife didn't like them, I doubt I'd watch them much ever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Movies are awesome...but the pub is not the place to watch em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

We need a balance with everything in life I believe, not watching films is strange.. But perhaps the barman only watches films at home? who knows. But what really gets me is people who lives to watch films.. No I didn't see that film when that guy done the thing..:mad:

It's more that the barman doesn't want to watch it than I do tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's fairly impressive if he's never watched a film in his life.

You'd need have to go out of your way to do that. Channel hopping must be a minefield.

'Woah, almost caught some of Michael Collins there, lucky escape'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

He'd be all over this documentary, which is a good enough watch in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

So long as they don't pretend to be watching the film, then whip out their phone and go on Facebook. Then go for a piss. Then ask me if I want crisps. Then sit back down and ask me what's happened, and who's that guy.

FCUK OFF AND DIE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Donegal in a bar on a Saturday night in the early nineties you had two choices for entertainment, Total Recall or Prince Naseem.

You weren't there, man!

I just find a lot of time when I go to the pub with my brahs and there's a bunch of tvs on in the background, we just waste a bunch of time staring at the tv. Think it's grand for like sporting events etc but the rest of the time I find them a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Publicans are funny about TV. Its primarily there to show pay per view sport in order to attract paying punters. They might grudgingly put on the news an odd time. Other than that, TV is off as it's easier to talk shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've never seen The Godfather, Dirty Dancing, Forrest Gump, Die Hard, any James Bond...in fact, name a "classic" film and I bet I haven't seen it.

So long as they don't pretend to be watching the film, then whip out their phone and go on Facebook. Then go for a piss. Then ask me if I want crisps. Then sit back down and ask me what's happened, and who's that guy.

FCUK OFF AND DIE!!

People like that are going to the special hell :mad:

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    in fact, name a "classic" film and I bet I haven't seen it.

Demolition Man?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's after last orders, he wants you the fùck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Links234 wrote: »
    Demolition Man?

Nope. Nor The Terminator, Robocop.
    From this list, I've seen two: Wizard of Oz and Up.

http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/top-50-films-to-see-before-you-die

It's after last orders, he wants you the fùck out.
    Eh, this is Donegal, we're not in Kansas any more.*

*this reference would be totally wasted on my barman

I like a good movie, it's a great way to unwind. I know a few people who don't watch them though, and they seem normal enough (superficially at least).

What I don't understand is an adult who's never read a book. Far more of them exist than the non-movie-watchers.

There was even some poster on here who had never read a book in his life, never intended to, didn't see the value of it at all, but intended to study English Literature in college.

Now that's really puzzling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/top-50-films-to-see-before-you-die

Is there a particular reason as to why?

Just curiosity by the way, as I find it incredibly odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I hate watching movies or series, rheres only a few of each I've seen in the past 4 years. Would much rather read, chat, run, gym, get pissed up, or listen to some tunes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Eh, this is Donegal, we're not in Kansas any more.*

*this reference would be totally wasted on my barman

Well I didn't turn it off on my punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Ditto, wizard of oz and demolition man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd be more worried about the kind of yahoo who settles down to watch a film in a boozer

Advertisement