Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation after stealing accusation and tripping in a club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,607 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find it odd that you were wrongly accused of shop lifting and didn't make a scene?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I bet you had the stuff hidden in your hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is this for real? I got stopped and searched in Tesco's last week as they thought I had taken something. Turns out they made a mistake, apologised and we all went our merry way.

This never really happened did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Ah Dublin, a tripping/falling over based economy if ever there was one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

hynesie08 wrote: »
    This never really happened did it?

Yes, but the alarms did go off when I was leaving, thankfully the items were well concealed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You let supermarket security staff search you? I would in my ass, I'd show them a receipt or something without any bother, but no way would I voluntarily turn out my pockets for them. Accuse me if you like lads, but make sure you're right!

Afroshack wrote: »
    Yes, but the alarms did go off when I was leaving, thankfully the items were well concealed :)

Thought so, never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There are some very scary stories under that article in the first link OP.
    Very scary indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anti depressants and sleeping tablets because someone wrongly accused you of shoplifting..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Anti depressants and sleeping tablets because someone wrongly accused you of shoplifting..................

Cold hard cash cured it. ..whoda thunk it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Barrister Michael Vallely, counsel for Ms Kearns, told the Circuit Civil Court she had since been treated for depression and had only recently been put on a reduced dose of antidepressants.
    She must be fairly fragile if she had to be put on antidepressants after the incident. I'd wonder if the solicitor rather than a doctor given her that idea?:rolleyes:
    Can't see any problem with this. Although most nightclubs usually turn up the lights to signal people to get out, it sounds like a fuse tripped, and the backup lightening was insufficient. It's lucky more people weren't injured.

If someone stopped me and accused me of stealing, I'd probably be so shocked that I wouldn't make a scene at the time either.

Damn right they should pay compensation, they accused a person of theft in a busy store during a sale and sullied her good character and they shouldn't get away with flinging those accusations at people.

The alternative is that bad security staff could ruin a persons reputation and even falsely imprison them with an accusation of something that they have no evidence of. The woman had receipts.

The Tallaght one, I'm not so sure. Public places have a responsibility to be safe for patrons, and if the area she fell off the step in is unlit and she didn't see it, then she was injured through no fault of her own and it's proper they should pay damages as they didn't keep their premises safely lit for patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Daughters birthday or not, a 64 year old shouldn't be in a night-club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I can't see anything wrong with either of those two cases, apart from the dubious nature of the shoplifting accused's injuries.

Security staff have to be 100% certain any shoplifter still has the goods on them when they detain them, or they're leaving themselves open to a claim. It's why shoplifters often work in pairs, so if searched they've often handed the goods to an accomplice.

In the nightclub case an independent engineer found the lighting to be inadequate. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is this for real? I got stopped and searched in Tesco's last week as they thought I had taken something. Turns out they made a mistake, apologised and we all went our merry way.

Mistake or not, you're a bigger fool for being okay about being searched in a very public place by someone with absolutely no authority to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Mistake or not, you're a bigger fool for being okay about being searched in a very public place by someone with absolutely no authority to do so.

It didn't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sound like the lady accused of shoplifting deliberately made a scene and exaggerated the impact of the accusation to rile up sympathy in the judge.

And the security spat at her? Why does anyone have a problem with this?

A public place leaves steps unlit and when someone gets injured they're supposed to just shrug their shoulders?

There's far dodgier cases for compensation to be found out there than these two.

Sound like the lady accused of shoplifting deliberately made a scene and exaggerated the impact of the accusation to rile up sympathy in the judge.

The judge has seen and heard it all, and described this as a serious case of defamation. I see no reason to doubt them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Candie wrote: »

A public place leaves steps unlit and when someone gets injured they're supposed to just shrug their shoulders?

There's far dodgier cases for compensation to be found out there than these two.

That's just her saying her spat her though, we don't know if this is true or not.

No he didn't.
    The judge has seen and heard it all, and described this as a serious case of defamation. I see no reason to doubt them.
    Funny how when a judge does something one agrees with one has no reason to doubt the judgement.

Ever been accused of something you didn't do? Most people don't stay calm in that situation.

The judiciary in this country are a joke. Unless you are particularly knowledgeable on the particular judge how can you say with any confidence he has seen it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Ever been accused of something you didn't do? Most people don't stay calm in that situation.

Security Guard: Have you paid for that.
    Me: Yes I have the receipt in my wallet.
    Security Guard: Okay that's grand

Security Guard: Have you paid for that.
    Me: Yes I have the receipt in my wallet.
    Security Guard: Okay that's grand

5 mins later

"that **** after calling me a thief."

Also that'd be one ****e security guard.

I usually calm down before I need anti-depressants.

I usually calm down before I need anti-depressants.
    I'm talking the immediate aftermath, besides I'm guessing neither of us are qualified to diagnose depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

the_syco wrote: »
    She must be fairly fragile if she had to be put on antidepressants after the incident. I'd wonder if the solicitor rather than a doctor given her that idea?:rolleyes:.

The smallest things can throw people over the edge, it's not fair to comment on it without knowing the full details. For all we know she could have went through a traumatic experience in the days previous, which would explain the reaction.

Advertisement