Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other routes into Computer Forensics and Security

Options
  • 23-06-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone my brother is hoping to get into Computer Forensics and Security course through the CAO in August. He's been down to Waterford and has Spoken to John Sheppard so he is very confident this is the course for him. He's filling in his CAO at the moment and is looking for back up courses in case he does not get the maths requirement.
    I was wondering does anyone know of
    1) Any other level 8 courses that he could do that would be similar but don't have the same maths requirement.
    2) Other level 7/8 courses that would allow him to transfer into the Computer Forensics course after year 1 or 2 ect.
    3) Any relevant PLC courses that he could do for a year while he repeats maths if need be.
    Thanks very much to anyone who can offer any advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

I would say SSD but im not sure if he could swap over. level 8 in 4th year. Lots of programming and Small bit of maths. I would say if hes not capable of a B3 in ordinary the maths would be fine. its not too difficult and you can get 35 in 2 subjects in 1st year and still pass. Hard not to get 35 as you get easy marks for small things throughout the year.

Is he looking for a programming heavy course? What is it about the CF that he likes that isnt on other courses? SSD does maths in 1st year then drops it. Other courses i think carry on for several years.

Id say Applied Computing and Entertainment systems maths would be the same as Forensics.

Great online course starting in September https://www.coursera.org/specialization/cybersecurity/7?utm_medium=listingPage if he wants something extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I got an email in March from my Programming Fundamentals lecturer saying that if anyone in Ents, Applied or Forensics wished to switch to one of the other courses from that group, this might be facilitated if you pass 1st year and do some extra work prescribed by your course leader. I don't have any more info as it was a general email sent to everyone taking that module and I'm not doing any of those 3 courses.

Advertisement