Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graduate Salary

Options
  • 17-06-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a new software development graduate, just completed a H.Dip in Computing. I primarily studied C# and SQL, but also covered some HTML and CSS.
    I previously completed a degree in Commerce International.

I've been offered a job and I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss salary and terms. As a new graduate, I don't have any prior experience of what sort of expectations I should have regarding salary. I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some sort of indication of what I should be hoping to receive.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Where is the job and what will you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Greyian

The job is in Dublin with a small-ish company (~10 staff). I will primarily be doing development, using C#. I've been informed that I'll be able to cycling between various projects in my first 3-6 months there, to find what I'm best suited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

For a small company I'd be looking at €25k. The bigger companies will pay around €30k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I started on 25k + bonus nearly 2 years ago as a grad.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

not1but4 wrote: »
    For a small company I'd be looking at €25k. The bigger companies will pay around €30k.

That seems very low. I would have thought 30k the minimum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Most grads get 25k for the first year progressing up to 30k in their second, happened with one of my mates taking a job at 3.

ev

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

awec wrote: »

Only one place I interviewed at at the time were 30k+, that's the likes of oracle, mircrosoft etc where you would be on 33/34k. It seemed to range from 20-28k apart from that.

The few k at the start really doesnt matter as your earnings can increase quite fast. He should worry more about the kind of job that he wants. My salary may have been 25k but I earned 35k in my first year. Also have to take into account all benefits offered, phone, pension, health insurance, bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pretty standard for a Junior programmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

I am a graduate nearly a year this september and I am receiving 33k as a graduate developer.. this seems to be along the lines of a lot of jobs offered to my grad class from DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Not really most of my class started on that 3/4 years ago. Like Tar.Aldarion said its more about getting experience when you are starting off and to worry about salary later on.

While university teaches you all the tools you need for industry you still know relatively nothing and need to be trained up. For the 6-12 months you are costing the company way more money than what you are producing.

When I moved job recently and my wage went up 35%+ from what I started on, all from the experience I gained on my first job.

• Advertisement

Are you all up in Dublin or where are you? Location would make a difference i assume.

I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

In my current place in Dublin, grad devs start on 32k, grad testers start on 28k.
    Both get healthcare, pension, and bonuses (albeit, not lately!).

Anyone not in Dublin? Id like to hear examples of wages elsewhere like Cork and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Anyone not in Dublin? Id like to hear examples of wages elsewhere like Cork and Galway.

Galway, big company 28 - 30 k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

In Galway, grads at my place start on 32k.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Surely this isn't sustainable? :) It's a really good starting wage relative to education...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Depends on the size of the company I guess. I started at a really small web design place (3–4 people) on 23k.

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Surely this isn't sustainable? :) It's a really good starting wage relative to education...

Are you serious?

4 years of Computer Science and you think 30k is too high?

If you add that fact that most need high Points in the LC and a good grasp of Maths then your talking way more than 4 years of effort.

And what do you mean by relative to Education? Are you saying that Computer Science is easier than other courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Demand. People want those with certain skills and need to make themselves look attractive as an employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Seems very low, what does it get to in 4-5 years, when u got kids mortgage etc ...

But the OP did a 1 year conversion course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

A year, maybe 15 months on top of at least a 3 year degree.

Ah i understand now. I thought you where saying Programming was easy compared to other professions.

Great thing about Programming is you can teach yourself to an employable level at home before you get anywhere near college or when your studying something else. Its down to the individual.

If he's offered a job he's surely as high a standard as the average graduate who does a direct Bachelors or at least fits the company profile of what they want. Id imagine a conversion course would hit the ground running and not ease into it like a 4 year degree. Also the people would generally be well used to college and studying methods and waste no time.

A year, maybe 15 months on top of at least a 3 year degree.

Spot on. Sorry.
    Ah i understand now. I thought you where saying Programming was easy compared to other professions.

Great thing about Programming is you can teach yourself to an employable level at home before you get anywhere near college or when your studying something else. Its down to the individual.

If he's offered a job he's surely as high a standard as the average graduate who does a direct Bachelors or at least fits the company profile of what they want. Id imagine a conversion course would hit the ground running and not ease into it like a 4 year degree. Also the people would generally be well used to college and studying methods and waste no time.

:)

I agree entirely. It's strange that programmers aren't seen as "professionals" in quite the same way as solicitors, architects etc. Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Generally around 30k for big companies. The likes of Intel will be 30 ish, I think IBM is closer to 35k (Could be wrong on that), M$ are 36 ive heard (Difficult to get into though!). Smaller companies will pay less generally.

I am starting in Belfast in September for a Graduate Technology program and am starting on 38k before bonus when converted to Euro (But its all down to the exchange rate!). This is the best I could find anyway.

God knows what Google and FB pay.

And how difficult is it to find work?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I just graduated with BSc hons.
    Had several interviews and was got offered from 4 companies. 3 are big multinationals. 1 Irish owned multinational.
    The lowest salary I was offered was 24k and the highest 35k. I settled for one with 32k. And that's not including the bonuses etc.

Mainly for java. I am based in Galway. One company who offered me the lowest was in Dublin. Rest here in West and Midlands.

I would say, depending on how confident you are at what you do, don't settle for less than 28k. Else keep looking.

And people posting crop about 1 year conversion... I have looked at the contents and know how intensive it can get during this one year... So don't under estimate the person's ability... I think it takes a lot more work and effort to do conversation courses...

My advice stand... Don't be selling yourself short... And don't rush into making decisions... Weigh all your options.

c_man wrote: »
    In Galway, grads at my place start on 32k.

Cisco is only place i know that pay 32k at start.

• Advertisement

If looking for a Graduate position , Give me a PM.

Advertisement