Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The five two diet

Options
  • 16-06-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

So considering starting up the five two diet in the morning anyone here done it before?
    I want to cut from 94kg to 83kg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I've been doing it for the last 6 weeks, lost 4kg in that time and I'm very happy with my steady progress. I find it easy to maintain, 500 cals is not difficult to stick to once you have a plan in place. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adam4850

Fair play, I usually have a fast metabolism so i will probably drop a tonne in a month i think. Thank you and same to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You don't need to do 5:2 to cut weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

You don't need to do 5:2 to cut weight.

MASSIVE health benefits to it though. As long as you don't take it to the extreme or binge on crap your fasting days I think it sounds great. I would be very hesitant to advise anyone to take it up though as I think a lot of people would be liable to develop unhealthy eating habits out of it, it might be a bit to much if you are on a big calorie deficit on the non fasting days and I wouldn't imagine it's very conducive to intense activity ie. football, weight/powerlifting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MASSIVE health benefits to it though.

Can you elaborate on the massive health benefits?

In my experience there is only one silver bullet when it comes to dieting and thats eating well and getting lots of exercise.

• Advertisement

MASSIVE health benefits to it though. As long as you don't take it to the extreme or binge on crap your fasting days I think it sounds great. I would be very hesitant to advise anyone to take it up though as I think a lot of people would be liable to develop unhealthy eating habits out of it, it might be a bit to much if you are on a big calorie deficit on the non fasting days and I wouldn't imagine it's very conducive to intense activity ie. football, weight/powerlifting etc.

I didn't see the op mentioning anything apart from a desire to cut weight, and 5:2 isn't a requirement for that.

syklops wrote: »
    Health benefits associated with eating less in general - but these don't just apply to 5:2

Specific benefits are linked to some mad skinny gene that makes you live longer, might only been shown in animal studies though.

Its just a fad diet tbh and not a very sustainable one, it often leads to binging and general lethargy.
    In my experience there is only one silver bullet when it comes to dieting and thats eating well and getting lots of exercise.
    ^^ THIS.

I didn't see the op mentioning anything apart from a desire to cut weight, and 5:2 isn't a requirement for that.

I didn't see the OP asking if it was a requirement.

I didn't see the OP asking if it was a requirement.

Ok, i was just being polite. Let me rephrase - 5:2 is balls.

Ok, i was just being polite. Let me rephrase - 5:2 is balls.

Why so?

• Advertisement

Well a big benefit is it helps to fight particular diseases, and for me going from about 3500 to 600 is quite a bit.

Why so?

See above
    Adam4850 wrote: »
    Well a big benefit is it helps to fight particular diseases, and for me going from about 3500 to 600 is quite a bit.

What diseases? Any studies I've seen have been animal tests and are not to be taken as gospel.

I know i don't need it to cut weight but i said i would try it out anyway and see how i get on after 2 weeks.

Reductions in fat mass, IGF-1, blood glucose levels
    Increases in neuron production from stem cells, in energy during fast (beneficial hormones such as adrenaline and the like are released), insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning in general, increased metabolism during fast.
    Better lipid and cholesterol blood profiles
    Psychological benefits in terms of appetite control and most people would enjoy less time spent cooking and eating.

Surely you aren't saying eating well and exercise isn't mutually exclusive of the 5:2 diet? If you are that's a false dichotomy. The two can go hand in hand.

Anyone I know who did it got hunger pains, mood swings and lack of energy on their fast days, and had a feeling of "I deserve it" on non fast days meaning they often ate more than their allowance.

If you want to lose weight, make one or two small changes to your diet. You don't need to change your entire eating routine, just little changes. Some people find dropping or cutting down bread from their diet sees progress quite quickly. Swapping the breaded chicken roll for a light chicken salad was one of the best things I did. Saved me inches on my waistline and gave me more energy in the afternoon/evening.

See above

I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific if your not avoiding the question.

The fasting can help us to live longer and even ward off mental illnesses like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
    I have read about this off about 8 websites, i don't think theu are all wrong to be honest.

Increases in neuron production from stem cells, in energy during fast (beneficial hormones such as adrenaline and the like are released), insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning in general, increased metabolism during fast.
    Psychological benefits in terms of appetite control and most people would enjoy less time spent cooking and eating.

Aren't most of those items linked to reduced calorie intake in general and most of the stuff linked to IF was linked to an every other day reduction, not a 5:2 format.

I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific if your not avoiding the question.

Lethargy and binging. I thought i made it pretty clear.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can you link to backup these claims?

• Advertisement

Aren't most of those items linked to reduced calorie intake in general and most of the stuff linked to IF was linked to an every other day reduction, not a 5:2 format.

A lot of them are but if 5:2 is an easier way to do it for some people why say it's bad? There's a sense of elitism and arrogance (not directed at anyone here just in general!) towards diet and exercise, for some reason people seem to think it has to be done the hard way. If the goal is to be healthy does it matter how you get there?

From what I can see intermittent fasting (IF) has unique benefits such as neuron production (making more brain cells), the natural production of adrenaline and norephedrine, and nutrient partitioning effects that aren't possible (or at least as profound) with a general reduction of intake of calories. Many of the benefits from calorie reduction are from calorie restriction which for men, I think, is a daily intake of less than 1,500 calories. I know if I was doing it I'd definitely take the big hit on calories twice a week rather than 1,500 every day.

Thought I made it clear when I said 'As long as you don't take it to the extreme or binge on crap your fasting days I think it sounds great. I would be very hesitant to advise anyone to take it up though as I think a lot of people would be liable to develop unhealthy eating habits out of it...' but obviously that wasn't clear enough for some people.

Your claim of lethargy has no physiological basis in reality, unless it's a psychological effect of people who want an excuse for giving it up.

A lot of them are but if 5:2 is an easier way to do it for some people why say it's bad? There's a sense of elitism and arrogance (not directed at anyone here just in general!) towards diet and exercise, for some reason people seem to think it has to be done the hard way. If the goal is to be healthy does it matter how you get there?

From what I can see intermittent fasting (IF) has unique benefits such as neuron production (making more brain cells), the natural production of adrenaline and norephedrine, and nutrient partitioning effects that aren't possible (or at least as profound) with a general reduction of intake of calories. Many of the benefits from calorie reduction are from calorie restriction which for men, I think, is a daily intake of less than 1,500 calories. I know if I was doing it I'd definitely take the big hit on calories twice a week rather than 1,500 every day.

The studies were not conducted on a 5:2 restriction though but in an every other day restriction. Correct me if I am wrong about this.
    Thought I made it clear when I said 'As long as you don't take it to the extreme or binge on crap your fasting days I think it sounds great. I would be very hesitant to advise anyone to take it up though as I think a lot of people would be liable to develop unhealthy eating habits out of it...' but obviously that wasn't clear enough for some people.

Your claim of lethargy has no physiological basis in reality, unless it's a psychological effect of people who want an excuse for giving it up.

Nah, I agree with your first paragraph alright.

Cooking perhaps if you don't enjoy cooking. I think few people would enjoy eating less.

Surely you aren't saying eating well and exercise isn't mutually exclusive of the 5:2 diet? If you are that's a false dichotomy. The two can go hand in hand.

Of course I'm not saying that. But if you are eating well and getting plenty of exercise, you don't need the hassle of fasting two days a week. Just keep eating healthily and keep up the exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ultimately the key to weight loss is doing what works for you. The basic principle of eating less universally works, but how people accomplish that varies and really the most effective diet regime is the one that you can comfortably maintain for the period you want.

This is probably why some people get almost religious about their favourite diet; it works so well for them, why isn't everyone doing it this way?

5:2 is fine, if it works for you, if you understand what you're doing and like you say, you don't binge after a fasting day and you learn to deal with any lethargy or extreme hunger.

Some people might find the on/off nature of the 5:2 diet easier to manage. Rather than try to cut 500kcal out of every days' meals, you basically front-load the calories savings into two days.

Oryx wrote: »
    Can you link to backup these claims?

I've included reviews and meta-analysis to cover the most amount with the least links.
    http://www.lift-heavy.com/intermittent-fasting/ (looks bad because its from lift-heavy but it is a literature review by an MD, it will save you having to buy it)

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-42302013000200017

http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/6/2128

There are plenty more out there too.

I've included reviews and meta-analysis to cover the most amount with the least links.
    http://www.lift-heavy.com/intermittent-fasting/ (looks bad because its from lift-heavy but it is a literature review by an MD, it will save you having to buy it)

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-42302013000200017

http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/6/2128

There are plenty more out there too.

Heres one from the NHS. the conclusion is that no where near enough study has been done on it.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

seamus wrote: »
    Ultimately the key to weight loss is doing what works for you. The basic principle of eating less universally works, but how people accomplish that varies and really the most effective diet regime is the one that you can comfortably maintain for the period you want.

This is probably why some people get almost religious about their favourite diet; it works so well for them, why isn't everyone doing it this way?

5:2 is fine, if it works for you, if you understand what you're doing and like you say, you don't binge after a fasting day and you learn to deal with any lethargy or extreme hunger.

Some people might find the on/off nature of the 5:2 diet easier to manage. Rather than try to cut 500kcal out of every days' meals, you basically front-load the calories savings into two days.

Exactly (apart from lethargy!!).

'This is probably why some people get almost religious about their favourite diet; it works so well for them, why isn't everyone doing it this way?' - Great line, I don't do 5:2 but it has great merit. For some reason people can't seem to say something they're not doing is good.

seamus wrote: »

If it works for you is fine, attributing unproven benefits isn't.

• Advertisement

Exactly (apart from lethargy!!).

'This is probably why some people get almost religious about their favourite diet; it works so well for them, why isn't everyone doing it this way?' - Great line, I don't do 5:2 but it has great merit. For some reason people can't seem to say something they're not doing is good.

I do IF actually. :pac:

Advertisement