Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Carb Diet Advice

Options
  • 30-05-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Current Weight: 72KG
    Goal: 66KG

Have been on a low carb diet for the last few days, have been tracking using my fitbess pal app. Seem to be eating about 10% carbs 50% fat and 40% protein. Just wondering if anyone has seen results and how quickly based on a similar diet?

Just wondering do people count calories too on this type of diet? I'm at around 1,500 calories per day mainly due to diet bring high in fat but not sure if this will inhibit weight loss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hope your thread doesn't go down the road of a lot of these threads. My 2c worth would be
    *eat real whole foods as much as possible
    * get all necessary nutrients, essential fats, proteins etc into your diet
    * eat a lot of greens, great for nutrients and fibre
    * Two lchf advocates Pinney and Volek report from studies that lchf works best in terms of fat loss, for persons with carbohydrate intolerance who restrict calories and engage in a mix of cardio and lifting stuff

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Good advice above. Sounds like you have a plan. They key thing to it will be sticking with it. Consistency is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

I follow lchf due to carb intolerance and eat 2000 plus calories a day and never put on weight.
    I eat roughy 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat. I lost 20lb of excess weight over a 3 month period when I started initially and now it remains stable.

I eat approx 40g coconut oil daily, in coffee and to cook with.

Feel great since ditching the carbs but probably wouldnt have stuck to it unless I had issues with carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

noah45 wrote: »
    I follow lchf due to carb intolerance and eat 2000 plus calories a day and never put on weight.
    I eat roughy 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat. I lost 20lb of excess weight over a 3 month period when I started initially and now it remains stable.

Feel great since ditching the carbs but probably wouldnt have stuck to it unless I had issues with carbs.

Out of curiosity do you just drop a spoon of coconut oil in your coffee? Is it as simple as that? Read last week about people putting butter in coffee? Similar reasons? I hate butter but love me the coconut!

I use a travel cup, 2 spoons coffee, drop in the coconut and sometimes butter too, then blitz for a few seconds with blender and its divine- sorta creamy.

• Advertisement

When you say 70% fat, what are your fat sources other than coconut which makes up 18% of your intake?

Hard to get fat that high without consuming more pure or high fat, do you use a lot of butter and olive oil?

From all my reading on it the summation would be; don't shy away from saturated fat but give preference to monounsaturated fat. The nost prized of Inuit fats was some odd named fish (which I can't remember name of) which visits once a year for a week which was their primary source of monounsaturated fat.

On the macro breakdown you've given seemingly saturated fat becomes the bodies preferred fuel source; such that the saturated fat remaining in your body is now probably much lower than when you consumed less of it.

The human body is anything but simple

I eat tinned mackerel fillets, rashers, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, butter, mayonnaise and marscapone almost daily.

I eat tinned mackerel fillets, rashers, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, butter, mayonnaise and marscapone almost daily.

It's not a criticism but are you sure your fat intake is not lowerand protein higher.

For variety avocado, any kind of nuts? Fry any green veg gently in butter and add olive oil? Sure your diet is fine just one or two ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a bit of common sense, anyone eating a fry (minus the bread) every day is doing it wrong, stay away from cheap pork and other processed meats, find ways of getting as much veg in your diet as possible, turn your scrambled eggs into an omelette for instance or try green shakes in addition to meals

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's not just about bacon and eggs

Today and yesterday main meals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Lisa2215 wrote: »
    Current Weight: 72KG
    Goal: 66KG

Have been on a low carb diet for the last few days, have been tracking using my fitbess pal app. Seem to be eating about 10% carbs 50% fat and 40% protein. Just wondering if anyone has seen results and how quickly based on a similar diet?

Just wondering do people count calories too on this type of diet? I'm at around 1,500 calories per day mainly due to diet bring high in fat but not sure if this will inhibit weight loss.

The speed of your results will be down to the differential between what you require to maintain your weight and what you are eating, not how many carbs you do or do not eat. Work our your TDEE (google scooby tdee) and use an app like myfitnesspal to eat 10-20% under this.

You dont need to cont calories though if you dont want to. Just eat exactly what you would eat normally but eat 10-20% smaller portions (I normally cut down my spud/rice and keep meat and veg the same) . If weight comes off then you are fine, if not then reduce it further.

Don't look for a quick reduction in weight, a slow sustainable drop is what you want as you are far more likely to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Pretty sure 70% fat and 25% protein is impossible unless you are skulling shots of olive oil.

Pretty sure 70% fat and 25% protein is impossible unless you are skulling shots of olive oil.

Not impossible just very difficult.

What food has 70% fat compared to 25% protein?

What food has 70% fat compared to 25% protein?

I'm far too lazy and care far too little to actually look into this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

The speed of your results will be down to the differential between what you require to maintain your weight and what you are eating, not how many carbs you do or do not eat.quote ends}

This is incorrect- hard to take anything you advise serious if you believe the amount of carbs eaten will have no effect on speed of results.

I use mfp to keep my ratios in check. Google keto diets.

Bruno26 wrote: »
    The speed of your results will be down to the differential between what you require to maintain your weight and what you are eating, not how many carbs you do or do not eat.quote ends}

This is incorrect- hard to take anything you advise serious if you believe the amount of carbs eaten will have no effect on speed of results.

Lower carbs will make weight loss faster. Mainly water weight though not fat loss. It will be the same fat loss as any other calorie deficit.

Blacktie. wrote: »

Lower carbs will make weight loss faster. Mainly water weight though not fat loss. It will be the same fat loss as any other calorie deficit.

This is incorrect- fat loss will
    happen at a faster rate by eating less carbohydrates.

Blacktie. wrote: »

This is incorrect- fat loss will
    happen at a faster rate by eating less carbohydrates.

I'm not getting into this again.

• Advertisement

Learn to quote. Your posts are painful to read.

What you are stating is nonsense. Fat loss is entirely dictated by calorie deficient. Eating carbs will not slow this down. I take it that as usual you will produce no source to back up your claims?

Iphone?!

What you are stating is nonsense. Fat loss is entirely dictated by calorie deficient. Eating carbs will not slow this down. I take it that as usual you will produce no source to back up your claims?

I'm afraid you really do not know what you are talking about if you truly believe this. Were you brainwashed by a weight watchers guru somewhere along the line?

Speak to any decent personal trainer and they will tell you that you are incorrect.

Where are all of your sources to back up your claims? I suppose they all believe in the food pyramid.

I'm afraid you really do not know what you are talking about if you truly believe this. Were you brainwashed by a weight watchers guru somewhere along the line?

Speak to any decent personal trainer and they will tell you that you are incorrect.

Where are all of your sources to back up your claims? I suppose they all believe in the food pyramid.

Please provide proof to the claims you are making. Refer to the forum charter if you are unsure why you are being requested.

There are several extremely good personal trainers here. Not one of them has chipped in and agreed that excess calorie consumption without wheat will not result in weight increase.

Maybe he means if you replace these carbs with protein then you will conserve more muscle so indirectly lose more fat? Basically increase the ratio of muscle:fat loss provided the deficit stays the same

Maybe he means if you replace these carbs with protein then you will conserve more muscle so indirectly lose more fat? Basically increase the ratio of muscle:fat loss provided the deficit stays the same

Nope, he specifically believes that wheat will make you fat no matter how much you eat and has stated such several times.

Please provide proof to the claims you are making. Refer to the forum charter if you are unsure why you are being requested.

There are several extremely good personal trainers here. Not one of them has chipped in and agreed that excess calorie consumption without wheat will not result in weight increase.

Again you misquote - not just wheat- all grains and all sugar.

Do you know them- ask them please?

Nope, he specifically believes that wheat will make you fat no matter how much you eat and has stated such several times.

Again you misquote - not wheat- all grains and sugar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my daily calorie needs are 2200 calories, or thereabouts

what do you say will happen if I ate a paleo diet of 2200 calories and then threw 800 calories of almonds and peanut butter down my gob on top of that

Do you not think that your logic violates the basic laws of thermodynamics?

If more energy goes in than is being used, regardless of what sources this food is coming from, the excess energy has to go somewhere. It doesn't just disappear.

• Advertisement

Again you misquote - not just wheat- all grains and all sugar.

Do you know them- ask them please?

Fair enough, grains and sugar. Its still wrong :0
    Bruno26 wrote:
    You do not need to be in calorific deficit to lose fat

What part of that is misquoted and how do you think your statment holds true?

Advertisement