Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom Offaly

Options
  • 28-05-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm considering ordering Ripplecom for my home office and wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how Ripplecom is in the offaly area. I believe they use to be Last Mile broadband. They have a mask in Ferbane and I believe I should have line of site.

How are they as a company and do they deliver or just take your money and run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 laneyfreak

Coverage is very hit and miss, never much good to be honest but as I have no other way of getting broadband I have to keep it. Their customer service is shocking. I have been waiting 3 weeks for an engineer and he was due yesterday for an AM call. My husband rang them at 11.15 am to say he could only be here til 12 and then no one would be here until 2pm, they said they would get engineer to call us. No word from him and no call out so now we have to wait until Tuesday to call them again!! Absolute joke!! They know most people are with them because they have no alternative so they don't care!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ripplecom is AWFUL - they treat you like dirt with their CS, and at the Tech Support's own whim would cancel your subscription without consent if they can't fix it should you make a complaint... meanwhile you having paid €144 or w/e for the installation, never mind the monthly payments.

This company's gotten so comfortable with knowing they're the "only" solution in rural areas outside Mobile for most people, so they just exploit this fact.

**** 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Perfect 8gb broadband from their Tara mast in Meath for past year. 6/7gb average in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

@ICTCOMPANY I have had Ripplecom for over 2 years now with little or no issues. Speeds during the day between 7-8 Mbps down and 1 up. Evenings vary between 5 and 8 down, averaging at around 6.

I am working off the Banagher mast so can't say anything about the Ferbane mast.

I have read some horror stories about the CS on here and other forums, I can only say my experience has been the positive TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Davercade

I'm based in Kildare (I know you asked about Offaly) and I have found them good to be honest, I had some issues a while ago and they sorted them out quickly. My speeds are a bit lower than the others here but still ok (3-4 Mb) in the evenings and (4-5)during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

@ICTCOMPANY I have had Ripplecom for over 2 years now with little or no issues. Speeds during the day between 7-8 Mbps down and 1 up. Evenings vary between 5 and 8 down, averaging at around 6.

I am working off the Banagher mast so can't say anything about the Ferbane mast.

I have read some horror stories about the CS on here and other forums, I can only say my experience has been the positive TBF.

Hi there , I'm considering whether to go for Ripplecom , I am in Lusmagh near the main Nenagh road , just wondered how it is performing for you now , what kind of speeds are you getting ? Thanks :)

Also anyone use Wirelessconnect.ie broadband ? They have a mast on Knockshegowna hill near Shinrone in Offaly , just wondering what service is like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LoudMouth

I'm in Kildare and Ripplecom are absolutely terrible, avoid them like the plague. 8Mb download during the day when I don't need it, but only 0.5Mb in the evenings. So no Netflix, no stream, no Xbox live. Completely rubbish. They have being promising me that they will fix the mast, but they have done nothing. It's like this for over 6 months. They charge €45 for a measly 8megs with a paltry 70GB allowance. This is 2014, not 2004. I used to get 10Megs and no cap, that was when I used to get maybe 3Megs at night. They are a company that are going downhill fast. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
    Thankfully Eircom are coming to a lot of rural areas in Kildare and Offaly and I can finally get rid of this excuse for a broadband company, this pack of amateurs.
    The last time they came out to have a look at my antenna on the roof the guy replaced it and didn't even check to see if it was pointed in the right direction, he just said "ah, it'll be grand". And it wasn't. And it isn't. I was told on at least ten occasions that they would fix it, but they have done nothing. Ripplecom, what a waste of space!
    I have sent them so many emails to try and get it fixed and they ignore most of them. If you want to bang your head against the wall, then go ahead and sign up with Ripplecom, they will break your heart.
    The annoying thing is, the odd time it works brilliantly, the potential is there, and I think, finally, they did fix it, but then two days later it's back to worse than useless.
    My friend got it in and it worked perfect for two months and he was delighted with it, but then suddenly, one day, it just stopped working and they could never get it to work again after that. So they had to take it out. He was so annoyed. I mean, how could it work great for months and then just suddenly stop? And they couldn't fix that. Amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

LoudMouth wrote: »
    /snip

I went with the THREE's 4G option after ditching Ripplecom, hell of a lot superior connection - cheaper too. 45mbps download speeds with a 60GB download allowance [slight downgrade, but well worth it] for €35 per month, with constant 30-40ms pings.

Out in the sticks of the countryside, and I'm gaming perfectly fine and streaming 1080p videos no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

Ripplecom service in Kildare is dreadful. I have recently moved to premier and while not great is better than the absolutely rubbish service from ripplecom. Stay away from ripplecom.

Premier Broadband are scheduled to install this morning, but the weather forecast is atrocious, so they may cancel. If they do install I'll post my speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

My Premier speeds are generally in the 3-4Mbps range, rarely if ever reaching the 7 I'm contracted for. Pings vary but are generally acceptable. My main gripe with Premier is their upload speeds which on occasion are non-existent so even for email sync the handshake can take time. However, on the positive side, for the past 3 weeks or so, the service has been consistent with little evidence of that infuriating Ripplecom habit of dropping the service completely at various times during the day or more usually leaving you with next to nothing for weeks on end.
    Neither Ripplecom nor Premier update their websites with service status which is poor practice in the IT sector. I did get a response to a weekend email from Premier but it still did take them time to sort the Grange / Dummurray issue.

Yes, Premier bailed on my installation today, but I can't blame them, MET Eireann have an orange alert in place.

Advertisement