Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 dead in Californian Shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

As long as owning a gun is part of the US Constitution these appallingly sad events will continue.

Based on numbers this guy must be quite the muppet never to have even touched a girl.

Reminds me of this freak from a few years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Collier_Township_shooting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    How often does this stuff happen in other industrialized nations?

How often does it happen in the US?

A quick comparison is all that is needed.

In the meantime, in Belgium this same day... (And I see no thread on it)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27558918
    A gunman has shot dead three people at the Jewish Museum in the Belgian capital Brussels, and fled the scene, officials say.

A fourth person was seriously wounded, emergency services said.

Though in this case, he seems to have escaped. Perhaps to try again later.
    Foxhound38 wrote: »
    How many times does some unhinged nutcase need to shoot up a school before the US does something about its gun culture?

It's not the gun culture which is the problem. It's the violence culture, and the anti-gun culture which attempts to deal with the issue by platitudes and not the realities of life in the US. Excellent case in point this week: Known anti-gun restaurant owner opens a new restaurant in Durham, North Carolina. Puts up a custom-designed "No guns in this restaurant" sign at the front door for all the customers to enter disarmed. Armed robbers come in the back door the week he opens.

Detroit's Chief of Police is getting in for some flak this month for some interviews he did in which he basically said the obvious: We can't have a cop on every street corner to prevent every crime. Let citizens defend themselves, and instead of dealing with law-abiding folks and their guns, why don't we focus on the issue of criminals with guns instead?

Firearms are out of the bottle in the US. You can't get rid of them, you can't stop people from having them, no matter what the political will. One has to deal with the reality that they are out there, and start figuring out how to get people to stop wanting to shoot each other to begin with. This is, however, a tad more difficult and expensive, requiring lots of effort in anything from education through mental care, and is far less politically expedient than blaming the guns.
    Nwm2 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how often this happens, because this is what NRA/Gun nuts will say: It is more evidence that everyone should be armed. The answer to gun violence is more guns. Banning guns means the criminals will still be able to get guns (given >100 millions guns existing in the wild), only the law abiding citizens will be prevented from doing so. To prevent gun violence at high schools etc, arm the teachers and have armed cops/security guards permanently on-premises.

And guess what? We're right. There's plenty of evidence to show it. (For what it's worth, the armed security at schools these days tend to be called "School Resource Officers", damned if I know why.)
    As long as owning a gun is part of the US Constitution these appallingly sad events will continue.

It's in over 40 of the State Constitutions as well. (Though, granted, not California's). Even if the Federal Constitution is changed, which is highly unlikely, according to, for example, Article 1 of the Delaware Constitution "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use."

I'm not sure foreigners truly understand the legal background to firearms in the US. Too often they point at "fixing" the Federal 2nd Amendment as a panacea.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Awful news. Really sad to hear this.

Removing the right to own guns from the constitution will only increase the amount of shootings. That's one theory. The guns will always be available on the black market and I doubt they will ever be removed from the streets.

If everybody owned and carried a weapon, this guy would have been stopped a lot earlier. That's another theory. Who's right? Who knows...

I understand that if guns are difficult to access, it makes it harder for some nutjob to go on a shooting rampage. That's what I would be thinking anyway. Although, a gun is not the only means to end somebodies life. There are many many ways and if somebody is nuts enough, they will think up of a way. A car alone could destroy a lot of lives. Home made bombs and whatever else. I don't think it's the right step to completely remove guns. Maybe tighter restrictions?

People have always killed people, for whatever reason, and as long as mankind is around, it will continue to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Possible he was a closet case/in denial of his homosexuality ??

At that age its quite a homophobic culture he was living in.

His appearance seems good enough in the video, no way he couldn't have gotten a girl, especially sitting behind a beemer steering wheel.

Vested interests NTM,

We only give a crap about 'murica, because then we can judge and say "only in 'murica" like a bunch of sheep... ;)

• Advertisement

Possible he was a closet case/in denial of his homosexuality ??

At that age its quite a homophobic culture he was living in.

His appearance seems good enough in the video, no way he couldn't have gotten a girl, especially sitting behind a beemer steering wheel.

What? Have you heard him talk? His ego is like a massive force field which deflected everything.

What? Have you heard him talk? His ego is like a massive force field which deflected everything.

Thats really not so unusual for some categories of US teens.

Many of them own cars you or I never will and inflated egos to match this guys.

He's good enough looking.

He says he's never even kissed a girl.

He didn't resort to a prostitute ... even with his douchbag ego ... which surely would have come up with some self-aggrandizing explanation.

Yet he makes sex seem like the center of the universe and the meaning of life.

No way would he have allowed himself to die a virgin. (if he was straight)

Many of them own cars you or I never will and inflated egos to match this guys.

Speak for yourself sunshine...

Didn't he say he is attracted to girls? You think this might be something else? Like he was gay and was unable to express this due to surrounding pressures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

And so the carnage continues, and it will continue in the future. Pity these nuts have such easy access to guns.

Speak for yourself sunshine...

Didn't he say he is attracted to girls? You think this might be something else? Like he was gay and was unable to express this due to surrounding pressures?

Seems like a possibility.

The suits will be checking his ip history around about now, wouldn't be entirely surprising if they find he wasn't as straight as he told himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

And so the carnage continues, and it will continue in the future. Pity these nuts have such easy access to guns.

Just like in Northern Ireland. Iäm glad there has been no gun violence there. And also Netherlands. Super strict gun laws so no chance of somebody shooting up a shopping centre like in 2011. COmpletely didn't happen.

The reality is that banning guns now does not actually magic the guns that are already there out of existence. It is like banning drugs when they are being openly used everywhere. The solution is a US-equivalent for guns what the Dutch did for cannabis. How that would work I have no idea, but as it stands the guns are there, and will not disappear if you pass any number of laws.

The second part of the solution is mental health services but that is zero priority it Ireland both politically and socially (despite mumblings to the contrary, the general public view mental health as being taboo and to be pushed out of sight).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

dissed doc wrote: »
    Just like in Northern Ireland. Iäm glad there has been no gun violence there. And also Netherlands. Super strict gun laws so no chance of somebody shooting up a shopping centre like in 2011. COmpletely didn't happen.

The reality is that banning guns now does not actually magic the guns that are already there out of existence. It is like banning drugs when they are being openly used everywhere. The solution is a US-equivalent for guns what the Dutch did for cannabis. How that would work I have no idea, but as it stands the guns are there, and will not disappear if you pass any number of laws.

The second part of the solution is mental health services but that is zero priority it Ireland both politically and socially (despite mumblings to the contrary, the general public view mental health as being taboo and to be pushed out of sight).

Erm, I didn't mention any one particular country or banning guns 0.o

I said its a pity the nut case could access a gun so easily. Same go's for any nutcase in any country gaining easy access to a firearm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

He probably only did this because video-games. BAN VIOLENT VIDEOGAMES!!! RABBLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

He probably only did this because video-games. BAN VIOLENT VIDEOGAMES!!! RABBLE.

It's inevitable we'll see some media outlet report that he liked to play COD and that video game violence is the reason for all violence in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

You see no thread on this because this happens a lot more frequently in the U.S.

I'm not sure foreigners truly understand the legal background to firearms in the US. Too often they point at "fixing" the Federal 2nd Amendment as a panacea.

NTM

I am sure "foreigners" can understand alright but when the U.S. goes around trying to be the world's policeman it sticks in the craw when they execute their own citizens and allow its citizens to purchase machine guns to "defend" against a non existent enemy.

And this is from someone who loves the U.S., has lived there and has friends and family there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Heres what the americans should do. Charge 50,000 dollars for a bullet. boom no more kids shooting up schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Someone should have told him about hookers..

Perhaps someone should have told him about showers. And conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

What liberals think buying a gun is like.....

It's not gun culture, it's everything BUT gun culture. Find out what the issues were and start targeting those problems, self esteem, responsibility, those adrift or have no sense of identity

There are already 22,000 federal gun laws in the USA on the books

There was mass stabbings at Chinese train stations last month too, we'll ban knives too know. No word in the media over that.

Having all the weapons in the hands of the state is very bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Apparently, his father has released through a statement that he knew it was him that did the shooting, since the cops haven't confirmed it yet, and that he suffered from Asperger's and had trouble making friends.

Statement from Lawyer here

ABC
    Schifman said in recent weeks that Rodger’s parents were concerned for their son's well being and reported his disturbing YouTube videos to police, which lead to an investigation. According to Schifman, police interviewed Rodger and found him to be “polite and kind.” He did not specify which law enforcement division conducted the interview.

A social worker also contacted police about Rodger last week, said Schifman.

Schifman said Rodger was diagnosed as being a high-functioning patient with Asperger syndrome and had trouble making friends.

"There was an incident probably a year and a half ago where he was...he fell from a balcony at a party or was thrown off of it. I think he was probably a victim from my understanding of bullying throughout his life... I'm sure that had played a role in the terrible consequences from last night," the lawyer said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

He was a member of Bodybuilding.com Forums: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161990983

The admins are deleting his threads, so you have to use cached pages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

<Deleted. Not rising to the bait>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

im a virgin but im not going a shoot people because of that

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

Hard to feel sorry about his "hard life" when he had a BMW at 22 years of age. He was a spoilt, self entitled arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Entitled little arsehole, he's young, rich and is good looking so he just expects women to fall at his feet and when they don't he reacts with violence? It scares me to think there are people who just expect the world to give them everything. RIP to all the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

So his parents saw his strange videos and what did they do? They reported them to the police. He's your son, can you not handle him yourself? Add bad parenting to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Guns don't kill people, people kill people....sometimes with guns

cnn reporting 3 bodies found in his apartment jesus christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

His roomates, apparently.

His Youtube channel videos are just disturbing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The video in the car with the whining and the plan to enslave and punish people is boring as **** to be honest.

Loss of life is always sad, but in terms of the gunman himself, I doubt we have lost a cancer cure there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I thought the original thread title was very clever and witty.

Advertisement