Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Canada solo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 seany1994

Shellieh wrote: »
    i worked for roadstone and i knew a hacker that was offered a contact for 10 years wit shell. all he had to do was invest in equipment rubbertracked, tippers etc. but was so pig headed bout shell coming in he didnt. it was worth bout 2mil a year to him. its like 60 miles from me on seriously bad roads, b good craic on the twin cams though:):):)

I would take that job in a hearthbeat ! any road is good for twincams :p:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shellieh

seany1994 wrote: »
    I would take that job in a hearthbeat ! any road is good for twincams :p:):)

ya think the roads on kilarney around the lakes or good u should c wat we have up ere:):):) ah ur only a baby heading out on a big adventure i take it u were born in 1994??

ya think the roads on kilarney around the lakes or good u should c wat we have up ere:):):) ah ur only a baby heading out on a big adventure i take it u were born in 1994??

all fecking bendy and hilly roads in mayo hai ! yup 20 in july , im getting out before my voice breaks LOL ;):)

all fecking bendy and hilly roads in mayo hai ! yup 20 in july , im getting out before my voice breaks LOL ;):)

oh god i feel so OLD...:(

oh god i feel so OLD...:(

nobody is old tbh theres youth in everybody .. age?

• Advertisement

nobody is old tbh theres youth in everybody .. age?

im 30... seriously feel old cn all ur young ones on the pages..

30 is not old :P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Edmonton 12th of April fly n solo, from
    Dublin,1 way 500€
    Any 1 else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Ill be 29 heading over, we're only in our prime! I went away to Australia for 3 years in my early twenties and while it was good craic i wasn't old enough to appreciate it for what it was! Just ended up on the absolute rip for 3 years! I think heading to Canada older and wiser and with a qualification behind me now will be the right job!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

aerotuned wrote: »
    Edmonton 12th of April fly n solo, from
    Dublin,1 way 500€
    Any 1 else ?

Who are you flying with? Aerlingus in June is coming in at €718 to Edmonton

Edit: Actually going to go end May instead cause its about 200 quid cheaper

Im 30 as well so theres a few oldies lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

340 one way dublin>toronto>edmonton 23rd of may for me.

seany1994 im only 21 and hoping to get straight construction work,be it in edmonton itself or if i have to head up to grand prairie/fort mcmurray. im hoping to get into welding at some stage myself. when im over there ill give you a shout

Nice to know I'm not the only soloist :)

Got my IEC last year, I've until the 30th July to enter. Off to Calgary or Edmonton for a gas job, should be good for a grad Mech technician like me!

alexsmith wrote: »
    340 one way dublin>toronto>edmonton 23rd of may for me.

seany1994 im only 21 and hoping to get straight construction work,be it in edmonton itself or if i have to head up to grand prairie/fort mcmurray. im hoping to get into welding at some stage myself. when im over there ill give you a shout

add me on FB lad

<snip>
    Hoping to get into the welding myself , prob do a private course for starters and get a apprenticeship once i get PR

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Son wrote: »
    Who are you flying with? Aerlingus in June is coming in at €718 to Edmonton

Edit: Actually going to go end May instead cause its about 200 quid cheaper

Im 30 as well so theres a few oldies lol
    Yup air lingus , dub to chircargo ,to edmonton , my mate got Shannon to heathrow to edmonton for 570 3 weeks after I fly out.
    O god I'm 31 rrrrrrrrreally old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lily24

Hi,

Ive decided to go to Canada on my own. I have my visa but I am so apprehensive about going on my own and also what part of Canada, I should go to. Has anyone else done this or thinking of doing this?

Would appreciate any feedback on this please!

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

lily24 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive decided to go to Canada on my own. I have my visa but I am so apprehensive about going on my own and also what part of Canada, I should go to. Has anyone else done this or thinking of doing this?

Lots of us it would seem :) Big move, when i went to Australia there was packs of us heading of at the same time but it seems to be mainly people going off on their own to Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

Hi,

From reading here and chatting with people there seems to be a lot heading out on their own.. i will also be going on my own. I don't know where i want to go yet or when but i'm sure it will fall into place. So you are not the only one in that boat. If you want to chat about it more feel free to message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryandave3006

Hi lads, Im just reading over all the forums here about Canada and all, as I was in exactly the same position last year I headed out on my own and its been ok so far.. I'm currently living in Calgary for the last 2 months, yes there is plenty of work but it is difficult to get into descent money. For instance labouring jobs are from $16 - $22 on average but for anything more that than that you have to be a skilled labourer in other words a trade. I'm not trying to put a dampener on it for anyone Im just stating what I've seen so far, other people could have different objectives, other things is that I was recently talking to ones that visited Vancouver its difficult to get a job there and anything that people have gotten where in grocery stores that paid less than the minimum wage here. Vancouver is also really expensive in comparison to Calgary. However just research it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spacebar5000

Hi all,

I'm Heading to Saskatoon for the summer, then maybe on to Vancouver or somewhere else in BC,
    is anybody thinking of heading to Saskatoon or know anybody there, i am going on my own also.
    How does everybody feel about going to Canada 'cus i'm excited as f***:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Lawra90

I'm heading alone aswel :) It's scary but exciting all at once! Flights seem to be cheapest in June so I'm thinking I might head over then. Still stuck on whether to go to Vancouver or Toronto though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Arriving solo into Vancouver May 8 😳😳😳

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not sure whether to check into a hotel for few nights or straight into a hostel, wanna chill out for the first few days and explore instead of going straight into trying to find a place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 28 iec2014

Hi,

Has anyone else done this or thinking of doing this?

Hi Lily

I am in the same situation as yourself, I am heading to Toronto in June solo, no job offer but with an open positive mind that it will all work out haha!
    Risky some might say....but it's going to be worth it me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 P_MAL

Going solo myself, I am looking at Calgary and Edmonton, primarily because of reasons mentioned before cost of living, type of work available etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spacebar5000

quick question guys, what are all documents needed for stage 2?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

quick question guys, what are all documents needed for stage 2?? :)

Use Google or search the fourm little bigg a research isn't hard you find the answer here hundreds times over

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryandave3006

Hi P_Mal Yeh Calgary and Edmonton are two cities that are thriving at the moment. Calgary is more offices etc where as Edmonton is more Industrial, it all depends what type of work your looking for. Calgary as a city is ok, and even though I'm not the biggest partier in the world, its night life etc is not the best. If your heading over give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 manwho2

Hi P_Mal Yeh Calgary and Edmonton are two cities that are thriving at the moment. Calgary is more offices etc where as Edmonton is more Industrial, it all depends what type of work your looking for. Calgary as a city is ok, and even though I'm not the biggest partier in the world, its night life etc is not the best. If your heading over give me a shout.

hi ryandave3006,
    your right about the night life its different to back home, tho there are alot of irish bars around calgary and you always get chatting to someone from home.i came to calgary on my own in may last year and was working within 3 weeks.if anyone is looking for construction work may and june is a good time to land as many companies reduce their workforce over the winter months (particularly outside work) and begin re hiring when the weather improves in may and june.how are you liking calgary so far, what part of the city are you living in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭YoungKhalifa

I'm thinking about heading to Canada after the Summer. How long does the visa process take?

Advertisement