Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAGO™ the subscription-based online streaming service from the GAA and RTÉ Digital

Options
  • 14-05-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭

GAAGO SERVICE LAUNCHING MID-JUNE
    The GAAGO service starts in mid-June 2014.

Televised games taking place before the launch of GAAGO will be live-streamed FREE OF CHARGE worldwide* on the RTÉ Player, beginning with the meeting of Tyrone and Down on Sunday 18 May.

*Games broadcast by Sky Sports will not be available on the RTÉ Player in Island of Ireland (IOI) or Great Britain (GB).

http://gaago.rte.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Pricing
    Season Pass: €110 (€60 in Britain)
    Single Game: €10 (€14 per game from quarter finals onwards)

The GAAGO service will begin on Saturday 14 June 2014 - until then, the RTÉ Player will provide free worldwide streaming of all GAA Championship matches, beginning with Tyrone v Down on Sunday.

So pay per view form 14 June or pay €110 up front.

The reason it is €60 in Britain is because it cannot show games being shown live by Sky Sports, including the four semi's and two finals, total of 25 games.

€110 for rest or world (exul IRE & GB) total of 45 games.
    €110 per year works out at just over €2.40 per game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What a steal! Shouldn't this be moved to Bargain Alerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

What a steal! Shouldn't this be moved to Bargain Alerts?

I think it's a rip off... 60 euro and you don't even get to see the semis or final? And don't Sky have the hurling quarter finals too? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I think it's a rip off... 60 euro and you don't even get to see the semis or final? And don't Sky have the hurling quarter finals too? :confused:
    full list of fixtures is here:
    http://gaago.rte.ie/fixtures.html

no word on whether GAA-go will have the sunday game, or any of the deferred coverage which Setanta/ Premium Sports have offered for the past 10+years - not to mention BBC for the odd Ulster game which wasnt shown live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Good prices, I thought they would take the piss. The season pass is very good value, although I'll probably go on a per game basis for the start. I was paying €10 a game with Setanta in previous years and the quality was brutal. I'll wait and see what the quality of the games are before forking out for a season pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Hotale.com wrote: »

It's an incredible rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Can you watch matches that are not being televised live?
    I'll be abroad for the Meath/Carlow match for example so could I use it to watch that?

iDave wrote: »
    Can you watch matches that are not being televised live?
    I'll be abroad for the Meath/Carlow match for example so could I use it to watch that?
    There used to be an odd extra game for audiences abroad with Setanta but no longer it seems.

The cameras are at most games broadcasting live including commentary back to base so its only a matter of will whether RTE shows these or not.

I signed up for mail alerts and theres some information there that is more of a selling point than the marketing exercise of a press release and whats on the very sparse GAA Go website (which doesnt even mention pricing)
    Do I have to watch a game live or can I watch later?
    You can watch live or later (up to end of November 2014).
    GAAGO recognise that throw-in times for matches in Ireland are not always practical for viewers abroad.
    As such, subscribers have two separate 24-hour periods from the time the game becomes available on-demand to watch the purchased game at their convenience. The game can be watched as many times as the viewer likes in each of those two 24-hour periods.
    Games cannot be downloaded.

How does GAAGO work?
    It’s a simple, instant, process. You will go to the GAAGO homepage (www.gaago.ie) and select the Season Pass, GB Pass or the individual game you wish to watch. You will be asked to enter an email address and credit/debit card information.
    Once your payment is processed, you will be taken directly to the stream of the game.
    If you are buying the game in advance, you will receive an email with a link to watch the game.

Can I watch a match on more than one device via GAAGO?
    Once a subscriber purchases a game via the GAAGO service they will be able to access the stream on any number of devices, but only one device will work at any one time.

What do I need to watch GAAGO?
    GAAGO works on almost every modern device. You will need: a broadband internet connection; a computer, tablet or mobile device (such as an iphone or Android smartphone); and a compatible web browser, such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari etc. The service
    works through your web browser so you won’t need to download an app.

GAAGO is not for commercial use.
    GAAGO is for private use only and not for commercial use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cheaper than going to games...

I was watching the GAAGO launch event live at lunchtime, the video quality was shocking and video was repeating very 30 seconds, this at work with super fast broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Do they think us Irish overseas are thick or something?

Too often Irish organisations and government simply view the diaspora as some kind of cash cow waiting to be milked.

From now on I'm telling potential tourists to visit Scotland instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do they think us Irish overseas are thick or something?

Too often Irish organisations and government simply view the diaspora as some kind of cash cow waiting to be milked.

From now on I'm telling potential tourists to visit Scotland instead.

So how does it compare to the current price you pay to watch games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

They are streaming all games free until June 14th. Seems like a great deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

That's a good price that under-cuts the cowboys currently owning the streaming market. Hopefully there's proper HD streams and archive access coming too. It'll be a must-have for any GAA supporter outside the country then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Syferus wrote: »
    That's a good price that under-cuts the cowboys currently owning the streaming market. Hopefully there's proper HD streams and archive access coming too. It'll be a must-have for any GAA supporter outside the country then.

Just because it is cheaper than before does not mean it is good value.

A tv license in Ireland costs 160 euro. Only 50 euro more than this.

Compare it to other streaming services. Currently i pay foxsports 11 euro a month for 4 english league games and 3 italian league games every weekend for 8 months. It also includes FA cup matches and Europa league matches.

So comparing this to existing streaming services for other sports or to the tv license it looks expensive. I think 60 euro would have been fair for the season pass outside of Britain and cheaper again for Britain.

Compare it to other streaming services. Currently i pay foxsports 11 euro a month for 4 english league games and 3 italian league games every weekend for 8 months. It also includes FA cup matches and Europa league matches.

So comparing this to existing streaming services for other sports or to the tv license it looks expensive. I think 60 euro would have been fair for the season pass outside of Britain and cheaper again for Britain.

Sure let's just pull numbers out of our arses for the craic.

I haven't got the damnedest clue what a TV license fee has to do with a stream service for international GAA supporters, either.

Oh, right. It's one of those veiled RTE rants. Go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You can pay around e160 for about 20 weeks worth of NFL (American Football) games from NFL Games Pass

You can pay around e80 to watch about 5 and a half months of MLB.

Moral of the story - you cannot compare prices for different sports

So how much do you currently pay to watch GAA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Syferus wrote: »
    Sure let's just pull numbers out of our arses for the craic.

I haven't got the damnedest clue what a TV license fee has to do with a stream service for international GAA supporters, either.

Oh, right. It's one of those veiled RTE rants. Go on.

Veiled RTE rants? it wasn't actually, all these games are included in the TV license except you also get much more in that price. that's why i referenced that price.
    You can pay around e160 for about 20 weeks worth of NFL (American Football) games from NFL Games Pass

You can pay around e80 to watch about 5 and a half months of MLB.

Moral of the story - you cannot compare prices for different sports

So how much do you currently pay to watch GAA ?

Fair enough about comparing different sports.

I don't currently pay to stream GAA as it wasn't possible. I had to go to the pub that had an Irish sky box.

I would pay but i feel like 110 euro is too much. I only really have an interest in Hurling so i think 110 euro is too much for 15 or so games.

• Advertisement

RTE pays the GAA a certain amount of dosh for broadcasting GAA matches in Ireland.

So how much, per viewer, does RTE pay the GAA to broadcast a Hurling final quarter final, for example?

I'd say it doesn't come anywhere near what the GAA are proposing for this PPV service (14 euros PPV from the quarterfinals onwards).
    So how does it compare to the current price you pay to watch games ?

Thanks to the wonder that is the SlingBox, a great deal more.

Veiled RTE rants? it wasn't actually, all these games are included in the TV license except you also get much more in that price. that's why i referenced that price.

Fair enough about comparing different sports.

I don't currently pay to stream GAA as it wasn't possible. I had to go to the pub that had an Irish sky box.

I would pay but i feel like 110 euro is too much. I only really have an interest in Hurling so i think 110 euro is too much for 15 or so games.

Last time I checked ex-pats don't pay for Irish TV licenses. You've compared an apple with a big, orange soccer ball.

Many (american football) NFL games are on FTA channels in America; does that effect the price of their GamePass in other countries? Of course not.

Last time I checked ex-pats don't pay for Irish TV licenses.

I didn't imply that they did, now did I?

I said that what RTE pays the GAA in broadcast rights (per viewer) is a great deal less than what the GAA is asking expats to pay, per viewer. Ergo, the GAA thinks they can get away with charging the overseas Irish more than what they charge the Irish-based Irish.

As you point out, this is the same tactic employed by the NFL, a multi-billion dollar profit-oriented corporation. That is the road the GAA have chosen to go down with regards the price of streaming. But then the NFL have player salaries to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

manutd wrote: »
    I was watching the GAAGO launch event live at lunchtime, the video quality was shocking and video was repeating very 30 seconds, this at work with super fast broadband.

this is my worry. RTE player Live at the best of times is pretty crap quality even at offpeak times. When there's a big match like the Champions League, it constantly stalls and is unwatchable. they don't enough bandwidth on their end, it's amateur hour in Donnybrook.

but that's grand when it's free. but what are the chances this service is just using the same rte player infrastructure? i'd be pretty pissed paying €120 for crappy quality streams worse than firstrowsports

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aardvark1

Squareball wrote: »
    They are streaming all games free until June 14th. Seems like a great deal to me.

I am from Louth. I will get our entire season for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I heard RTE are reducing the TV licence due to the extra money they will pull in from this streaming service............................

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Jaysus they're deadly

Aardvark1 wrote: »
    I am from Louth. I will get our entire season for free!

hehe, very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pity there isnt packages like Hurling only and football only available. If your interested in one code only having to pay full price for a lot of matches that you wont watch would be somewhat annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

kksaints wrote: »
    Pity there isnt packages like Hurling only and football only available. If your interested in one code only having to pay full price for a lot of matches that you wont watch would be somewhat annoying.

If you really followed GAA you'd watch anything

Advertisement