Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding-help needed with translation

Options
  • 09-05-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was on a week's trip to Germany and was caught by one of the damn blitzer. Landed back here and promptly got a ticket over mail.
    They have a pic of me driving as well.
    Can anyone who speaks German please translate the attachment for me. just the gist will suffice and the course of action to be taken.
    I know I made a mistake and I am willing to pay up..

regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I don't speak German,,but you owe them 95 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You owe them €95 and have a week if you wish to appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Out of curiosity was it Irish registered car you were driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

P_1 wrote: »
    You owe them €95 and have a week if you wish to appeal

Not sure if still the case but they couldn't enforce those fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Thanks guys, I just uploaded the page 2 of the letter as well.
    Issue is that I am not able to find a bank account or something to transfer the money.
    Do I leave it as it is or where to pay this?

@CiniO: No I had hired a car. The car hire agency have charged 25 euros to pass on my details to the German authorities.
    Talk about having a bad time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Have you tried scanning the QR code and see what happens? Google translate or the chrome plugin may be of use to you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

suave.4u wrote: »
    @CiniO: No I had hired a car. The car hire agency have charged 25 euros to pass on my details to the German authorities.
    Talk about having a bad time :(

Well if it's any consolation, Herr Lustig, loosely translated is Mr. Funny.

You sure it's genuine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I am sure if you dont pay the fine Germany will just get our government to collect it off you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

You owe them 95 quid, but this letter just gives you an opportunity to make a statement about your speeding - whether you were the driver etc or whether you deny that it was you who they caught for example.

You don't have to make a statement, and they'll then decide what they'll do, issue a fine, closer the case, gather more info. If you want to make a statement you have to do this within one week. You must fill in the second part of the letter if the details aren't correct.

If you don't do anything they'll bring this issue further, although I'm not sure what the German police can do about a speeding fine.

That's the gist of it (on mobile so can't type an essay)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Was on a week's trip to Germany and was caught by one of the damn blitzer. Landed back here and promptly got a ticket over mail.
    They have a pic of me driving as well.
    Can anyone who speaks German please translate the attachment for me. just the gist will suffice and the course of action to be taken.
    I know I made a mistake and I am willing to pay up..

regards,

That's an anhörungsbogen, you actually don't have to do anything, its a notification that you have been accused of an offence.

You'll get another letter in around 3 weeks with the IBAN details and information on the penalty points registered in Flensburg.

I'd pay it and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

I'm assuming HD stands for Heidelberg and if you did 91kmph at the speed camera at Karlstor which is on the B37 then you deserve your 95euro fine if not much more. Seriously reckless to be travelling that fast there. I assume you were barging in front of another car where the two lanes merge in to one.

This post has been deleted.

Well that's weird.. I got two of them and they look the exact same and I don't have a rental car :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Meh, they have your credit card details - don't worry, they'll kindly pay it for you. No need to stress.

Meh, they have your credit card details - don't worry, they'll kindly pay it for you. No need to stress.

Hertz Germany tack on 23.80 as an Admin fee ... Myself I prefer not to pay more money for a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Second part of letter wants to know your name, address, date of birth, place of birth and voluntary information about your financial situation (wtf? That's mad, not sure what you tell them there).

It doesn't look like a hoax, too many legal bits in it. Also 'lustig' is a valid German last name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

How could the rental company pay a fine for someone?
    All they can do is to give details of person who rented the car to appropriate authorities, which they already did, and OP said they charged him for it.

Fine is issued by authorities, and it's up to OP what he want's to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Hertz Germany tack on 23.80 as an Admin fee ... Myself I prefer not to pay more money for a fine.
    Me either, I was just saying..
    CiniO wrote: »
    How could the rental company pay a fine for someone?
    All they can do is to give details of person who rented the car to appropriate authorities, which they already did, and OP said they charged him for it.

Fine is issued by authorities, and it's up to OP what he want's to do with it.

Wondrous, eh.

As you haven't confirmed my suspicion that you travelling at reckless speeds as you entered the Altstadt from Neckargemund I'll assume I'm right.
    I also assume at the top of the first page which you clipped there is an email address for the Ordnungsamt in Heidelberg. Send a mail in English FAO Herr Lustig explaining that you are not a German citizen and request an IBAN bank account number to which you can pay the speeding ticket referring to the number on the back 505.39.xxxxxx in the online bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    I'm assuming HD stands for Heidelberg and if you did 91kmph at the speed camera at Karlstor which is on the B37 then you deserve your 95euro fine if not much more. Seriously reckless to be travelling that fast there. I assume you were barging in front of another car where the two lanes merge in to one.
    As you haven't confirmed my suspicion that you travelling at reckless speeds as you entered the Altstadt from Neckargemund I'll assume I'm right.
    I also assume at the top of the first page which you clipped there is an email address for the Ordnungsamt in Heidelberg. Send a mail in English FAO Herr Lustig explaining that you are not a German citizen and request an IBAN bank account number to which you can pay the speeding ticket referring to the number on the back 505.39.xxxxxx in the online bank transfer.

You seem to assume a lot Phil, were you driving behind some one on that particular stretch of road that was speeding / barging through traffic, or are you just assuming what happened?

• Advertisement

Look who is making assumptions.
    I live nearby and no I wasn't driving at 10 O'Clock at night past that painted grey fixed speed camera but I can imagine what the picture on the fine looks like with a surprised looking Suave.4u caught in the act.

In my experience you're better off doing nothing.
    They either drop it or send you the actual fine with the IBAN details for payment.

91 adjusted in a 70 is hardly attempted murder, more like there's a noise restriction in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you were driving a rental car, then the agency usually pays the fine on you behalf and charges it back to you.

The only speeding ticket I've ever received was in Germany, and it was all paid for by Hertz, who then sent me all the paperwork.

In my experience you're better off doing nothing.
    They either drop it or send you the actual fine with the IBAN details for payment.

91 adjusted in a 70 is hardly attempted murder, more like there's a noise restriction in place.
    I drive through there at least twice every day and it is definitely not somewhere where it is appropriate to drive at 91kmph.

Don't ignore the fine. The Germans Authorities are dogged in their pursuit of people who break road traffic laws. There are no local helpful superintendents wiping your record on pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I drive through there at least twice every day and it is definitely not somewhere where it is appropriate to drive at 91kmph.

Don't ignore the fine. The Germans Authorities are dogged in their pursuit of people who break road traffic laws. There are no local helpful superintendents wiping your record on pulse.

Wow talk about a moral crusader.

No, just know that you shouldn't be travelling fast at that particular spot because traffic backs up due to all the tourist coaches pulling in at Neckarmünzplatz which is about 100m further up the road. There is a reason for a speed limit there.

91 adjusted ... meaning it probably was closer to 100km/h on his speedo.

There's so many road signs in Germany its easy to miss a sign or make a mistake.

No need to get up on the high horse, in all honesty if he was on Irish plates nothing would happen .... and the German Authorities cannot and do not follow up on that ;)

Sure they never caught that guy from the Muppets driving the UK plate car :D

muppetatthewheel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

User asks for help in paying fine.
    User tells him he deserved the fine.

Ok.

The scans of the offical notices on the original post show he was driving a German registered car although the actual full kennzeichen is obscured.

• Advertisement

The scans of the offical notices on the original post show he was driving a German registered car although the actual full kennzeichen is obscured.

I know, just saying if he was on Irish plates he would have received nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement