Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hendry V O'sullivan- Whos the greatest?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

stpaddy99 wrote: »
    good post. williams was the best long ball potter of all time, no argument. he got over 300 centuries but wasnt interested in centuries , hed usually play a daft shot whne the frame was won to save energy . 18 major rankings wins., double world champion.. great player. not as consistent as hendry and not as long lasting but his quality and temperament at that time was awesome.

My issue with Mark was that he was volatile. Could be spectacular, and then play a ridiculous shot. Bit like Alex Higgins. Playing to the gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

selby may become a dominant force now that hes broken his duck. he was utterly ruthless is demolishing ronnie yesterday

Ruthlessly boring!

Jokes aside, his tactics won't work nearly as well against anyone willing to play hardball. And I don't know how you could call that a demolition, it was far from it IMO.

On topic, as already mentioned Ronnie is clearly the most talented snooker player of all time. His mentality works against him but he has years at the top left in him if he wants to take it. Beating Hendry in the UK final in 93 at the age of 17 set some precedent for a great rivalry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

selby may become a dominant force now that hes broken his duck. he was utterly ruthless is demolishing ronnie yesterday

Demolishing what game did you watch. Ronnie had probably three of his worst sessions ever and they all came in a row. He basically handed Selby the title he missed chance after chance for whatever reason.

I really hope Ronnie doesn't retire. Snooker is dead on it's feet as it is him retiring would be a huge blow.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Demolishing what game did you watch. Ronnie had probably three of his worst sessions ever and they all came in a row. He basically handed Selby the title he missed chance after chance for whatever reason.

Sort of agree. I saw the clip where he missed the pink to the centre. I think it was juts pink and black on the table. Did he need to play it so hard? What was the score at that point in the frame?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Sort of agree. I saw the clip where he missed the pink to the centre. I think it was juts pink and black on the table. Did he need to play it so hard? What was the score at that point in the frame?

Can't remember exactly but if Ronnie potted the pink he would have won, Selby cleared the pink and black and took the frame. Huge turning point and I was actually shocked for about a minute after that miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

If Ronnie is ever haunted by a shot, that pink is the one......i think the bbc tried to float the line that he thought he needed the black - which he didn't - but i believe he just wanted to slam it in with such force it would be like a knife to selby's heart. Selby's reaction when he won the frame was illuminating, it was such a huge moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭BQQ

This is annoying.

Player x plays badly and is beaten by Ronnie. ( Ronnie is the greatest, he absolutely blew X out of the water)

Ronnie plays badly and is beaten by player x. (Ronnie is the best player ever, he just handed the game to x due to his demons :rolleyes: )

He was outplayed. There doesn't have to be some mysterious cause.
    Sometimes he just doesn't play well. He's always been like that.
    That's why Hendry(90 - 97) was the greatest. He didn't have off days.

BQQ wrote: »
    This is annoying.

Player x plays badly and is beaten by Ronnie. ( Ronnie is the greatest, he absolutely blew X out of the water)

Ronnie plays badly and is beaten by player x. (Ronnie is the best player ever, he just handed the game to x due to his demons :rolleyes: )

He was outplayed. There doesn't have to be some mysterious cause.
    Sometimes he just doesn't play well. He's always been like that.
    That's why Hendry(90 - 97) was the greatest. He didn't have off days.

How can you say Ronnie was outplayed. He had chances almost every frame and was missing shots you would never see him miss. Selby was also poor it was a very poor final both missed so many easy chances.

Can't remember exactly but if Ronnie potted the pink he would have won, Selby cleared the pink and black and took the frame. Huge turning point and I was actually shocked for about a minute after that miss.

I am fairly sure it was at 11-11 the last frame of the session it was a massive moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Anyone who considers that a bad final needs to lower their standards radically

The last three frames by Selby were truly magnificent, among the best ever witnessed at that stage of the tournament in my opinion

Ronnie still has a lot of mileage left in the tank, a problem for him he was tested so little in the run-up to the final - the minor scare against Perry aside - Selby the more battle-hardened, not the whole story but a contributory factor

I am fairly sure it was at 11-11 the last frame of the session it was a massive moment.

You're right, I thought he was asking for the points score which I can't remember.

Selby's final clearance to win the match was very very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

selby showed nerves of steel

ronnies pretty good in that department too but wasn't able or prepared to graft against selby for the win

the match was there for ronnies taking,it's not like selby was unbeatable

selbys slow play tactics were not within the spirit of the game imo

How can you say Ronnie was outplayed. He had chances almost every frame and was missing shots you would never see him miss. Selby was also poor it was a very poor final both missed so many easy chances.

How can you say he wasn't?
    Are you trying to say he played better than Selby, but managed to lose 18-14?

So, he had chances and didn't take them; he missed easy shots...
    How exactly does that translate to "he wasn't outplayed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

very disappointing how ronnie allowed selby to grate on his nerves. again writing your weaknesses in books was also ronnies downfall. selby knew he was getting on ronnies nerves and deliberately slowed everything down. ronnie had endless chances but simply didnt take them. losing 13 of the last 17 frames, id say therefore ronnie was demolished on day 2. mainly through his own doing. i hope he comes back though and takes selby next time.

Selbys slow play tactics were not within the spirit of the game imo

This is another old chestnut that gets trotted out every time he loses.
    Why is there such an unwillingness to accept that he's not infallible?

Players play at different speeds. Always have and always will.
    The only thing that was not in the spirit of the game was the obnoxious shouts of Ronnie's fans. He himself seemed disgusted by it.

BQQ wrote: »
    How can you say he wasn't?
    Are you trying to say he played better than Selby, but managed to lose 18-14?

So, he had chances and didn't take them; he missed easy shots...
    How exactly does that translate to "he wasn't outplayed"?

Very simple really i don't know what your definition of outplayed is. I would class being outplayed where an opponent plays well and keeps his opponent cold and not giving him many chances. The reality is Ronnie had chances in almost every frame gifted by Selby. Ronnie didn't take his chances for whatever reason. Selby did not outplay Ronnie he made hard work of beating a very below par Ronnie.

Very simple really i don't know what your definition of outplayed is.

Same as the dictionary.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outplay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Very simple really i don't know what your definition of outplayed is. I would class being outplayed where an opponent plays well and keeps his opponent cold and not giving him many chances. The reality is Ronnie had chances in almost every frame gifted by Selby. Ronnie didn't take his chances for whatever reason. Selby did not outplay Ronnie he made hard work of beating a very below par Ronnie.
    Ronnie definitely wasn't at his best but you have to give Selby credit for some amazing safety shots. The amount of times Ronnie was tight on the cushion or in a snooker tight behind one of the baulk colours was unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Demolished me as well with frustration just watching it. If that's the new way of dominating, then it's time for the most boring snooker ever seen.

very disappointing how ronnie allowed selby to grate on his nerves. again writing your weaknesses in books was also ronnies downfall. selby knew he was getting on ronnies nerves and deliberately slowed everything down. ronnie had endless chances but simply didnt take them. losing 13 of the last 17 frames, id say therefore ronnie was demolished on day 2. mainly through his own doing. i hope he comes back though and takes selby next time.
    Missed pink was incredible. That shot might have made a difference to the outcome. Worst miss I ever seen.

Pighead wrote: »
    Ronnie definitely wasn't at his best but you have to give Selby credit for some amazing safety shots. The amount of times Ronnie was tight on the cushion or in a snooker tight behind one of the baulk colours was unreal.

It was incredible alright. Was one frame where selby left 5 snookers in a row when not intending to. One of those days where he could do no wrong. Had more than an average run of the balls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ivory balls in the 1970s and 1980s?

This is nonsense, they went decades ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

This is nonsense, they went decades ago

That's why I had the question mark

Hmmmmm.....

Hendry 7 world titles
    ronnie 5 so far

hendry 5 UK
    Ronnie 4

Hendry 6 masters
    Ronnie 5

Hendry 775 centuries
    Ronnie 724

11 maximums each

hendry £10 million prize money
    Ronnie £7.5 million

head to head Ronnie 30 - Hendry 21

Ranking titles
    Hendry 36
    Non ranking 38

Ronnie 26
    Non ranking 24

Of course ronnie still has a few seasons to go so may yet get closer

The argument in favor of ronnie is, hes played in a slightly harder era a few years ahead of hendry and hes won as much as he has without entering nearly as many tournaments.

2 absolute geniuses and its always fun to compare the best

For what its worth I think they are the best there has ever been.
    Other legends like steve davis, john higgins are just behind

Hendry was a better match player, Ronnie a greater natural talent.

Both at their peak and playing my money would be on Hendry because he was the mentally tougher player.

Hendry was a better match player, Ronnie a greater natural talent.

Both at their peak and playing my money would be on Hendry because he was the mentally tougher player.

you do know that's young ronnie played hendry at his peak in quite a few finals and had the better record

you do know that's young ronnie played hendry at his peak in quite a few finals and had the better record

They never played in a world final, Ronnie's temperament is why I think Hendry edges it.

Hendry beat Ronnie in the big ones, the World championship semi finals, at least twice.

Infact you look at this, Hendry won the vast majority of finals and semis. Ronnie beat him in alot of minors.

lhttp://www.cuetracker.net/pages/h2h.php?ID1=18&ID2=10

They never played in a world final, Ronnie's temperament is why I think Hendry edges it.

ok

but ronnie was 5 for 5 in world finals up to yesterday

so he's not really that shabby in the crucible temperament department

• Advertisement

ok

but ronnie was 5 for 5 in world finals up to yesterday

so he's not really that shabby in the crucible temperament department

He kept his cool in the final as well in what must have been a serious frustrating match. Little things just were not going right.

How he missed that pink is astonishing. I have not picked up the snooker cue for a proper game in 20 years, and still couldnt miss that pink.

Green in off potting the red a couple of frames earlier was another one.

Advertisement