Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody knowledgeable on Laws on playing unsigned Soundcloud music on Radio airwaves?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'm thinking of setting up an amateur radio show on community radio which aims to promote Irish amateur/unsigned producers.

None of the content we will play will be signed to any record label. Most of the content we will play will be found on the internet (eg. Soundcloud/Mixcloud) and I will contact the creators beforehand to make sure I have permission to play their songs on the show.

I doubt that it is as simple as this though, so I was just wondering if anybody knows if this system would work and not infringe on any copyright laws or anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

If you are doing it with a station that is already set up they should be paying a blanket fee to IMRO and should be able to play anything, if you have permission from the bands too it should be no problem at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Hi there.

I'm thinking of setting up an amateur radio show on community radio which aims to promote Irish amateur/unsigned producers.

None of the content we will play will be signed to any record label. Most of the content we will play will be found on the internet (eg. Soundcloud/Mixcloud) and I will contact the creators beforehand to make sure I have permission to play their songs on the show.

I doubt that it is as simple as this though, so I was just wondering if anybody knows if this system would work and not infringe on any copyright laws or anything?

If the're unsigned then I don't think you have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Cheers for the advice people!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check the station's PPI/IMRO contracts. UK ones at least specify that you're not to play unsigned music at all - however, its pretty clear that people do, as well as the other things they say not to do (play continuous mixes, for instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if the band is unsigned but registered with imro you have to pay a standing fee per year, plus pay per listener/stream.

If the band is also signed then you also have to pay PPI a fee. You might also have to pay them stream fees too. I once checked it out for an online radio station I was goign to set up. I gave up when they told me I'd have to pay them to play my own bands music, in order for them to then pay me a percentage of what I paid them. Absolutely stupid. Afaik, PPI see no difference between web radio and terrestrial radio.

Then if people from the UK listen in, you have to pay fees for that to the UK. If americans listen in, you have to pay fees to the body in the states. Ever notice why some streaming sites dont let you tune in if you arent in the correct country? thats why. (though for community radio you probably wont have to worry about that)
    Beakflakes wrote: »
    Hi there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement