Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Gym Work

Options
  • 21-04-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi people
    Planning on going back to MA after an absence of about 5 years.
    Just wondering if anyone is aware of any good workouts (with weights) specific to martial artists.
    I'll have a bit of free time in the mornings this summer so just looking to work on a bit of strength training while attending training in the evenings.
    Any help or info is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Shiken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Depends on what MA really? You can never go wrong with some good flexibility training. Yoga is good although you can do some good stretches at home if you cant make classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

To be honest, I think you'll get better answers to this on the fitness forum. I wouldn't get too caught up in the specifics of it being for martial arts. The main thing you'll have to figure out is how you're going to balance your strength training with your martial arts sessions, but this applies to anyone who is strength training in combination with their sports training.

The other thing you'll need to figure out is if you are training with the goal of improved performance or if you just want to get stronger. (Both are equally valid reasons as far as I'm concerned.) If you just want to get stronger, you might as well throw yourself into a strength training program. If you're looking at improved performance, then you need to look at what you really need to work on. You could be plenty strong at the moment, and would benefit much more from training on technique, endurance or whatever.

The strength programs I like are Starting Strength and WSFSB. Starting strength is a great starting program (well more like non-advanced) but it has you doing a lot of squats which is going to leave you feeling knackered for your other training. WSFSB is a bit harder to understand as it gives you loads of options, but it gives you scope to tailor it more to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

RoboRat wrote: »
    Yoga is good although you can do some good stretches at home if you cant make classes.

I don't think yoga is all that good to be honest. Some of the stuff you do will have carry over, but lots of it won't so you spend a load of time working on irrelevant stuff and progress more slowly in the stuff that is relevant. I think static flexibility is a very over rated attribute in martial arts as well.

The main problem with yoga though is that so many classes are willing to take a decent sum of money off you and don't really give you much instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest, I think you'll get better answers to this on the fitness forum. I wouldn't get too caught up in the specifics of it being for martial arts. The main thing you'll have to figure out is how you're going to balance your strength training with your martial arts sessions, but this applies to anyone who is strength training in combination with their sports training.

The other thing you'll need to figure out is if you are training with the goal of improved performance or if you just want to get stronger. (Both are equally valid reasons as far as I'm concerned.) If you just want to get stronger, you might as well throw yourself into a strength training program. If you're looking at improved performance, then you need to look at what you really need to work on. You could be plenty strong at the moment, and would benefit much more from training on technique, endurance or whatever.

The strength programs I like are Starting Strength and WSFSB. Starting strength is a great starting program (well more like non-advanced) but it has you doing a lot of squats which is going to leave you feeling knackered for your other training. WSFSB is a bit harder to understand as it gives you loads of options, but it gives you scope to tailor it more to your needs.

+ 1 to everything here. Saved me some typing Doug ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

00shiken00 wrote: »
    Hi people
    Planning on going back to MA after an absence of about 5 years.
    Just wondering if anyone is aware of any good workouts (with weights) specific to martial artists.
    I'll have a bit of free time in the mornings this summer so just looking to work on a bit of strength training while attending training in the evenings.
    Any help or info is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Shiken

I tend to do workouts work on a performance based manner.

I train shotokan karate by the way.

If I'm tired after sparing I do cardio for a few weeks. If the low stances gives me leg problems I do a mini program working on legs for a few weeks and so on and so forth.

Not the most efficient general way to do a work out but it fits with martial arts better than most programs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭irateghost

I recommend 5x5 stronglifts or the Pit workout if you've got no weights at home. And practicing your 'sparring' face in the mirror is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 00shiken00

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

identify your weaknesses, immobilities, imbalances, and work from there.

not sure what martial art it is youre talking about, but a specific personalised routine is what youre looking for, not one of the mass marketed ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Working on mobility and flexibility would be to of my list.

Second to that would be compound exercises like deadlifts, squats etc. and olympic lifting (cleans, snatch) improves your power, strength and explosiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

I know its not applicable but i do a lot of judo bjj and grappling and i can not speak highly enough of kettlebell workouts. Full body cardio and strength exercises and have really helped me in my ma training. For those interested i recommend Keith webbers extreme cardio kettlebell. Fantastic sets and my grappling strength has improved immensely as a result of kettle bells. More applicable for grapplers but even strikers could get a vicious workout with a light kettlebell

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for bjj and thai boxing specifically?

bjj - yoga. DO IT

Unfortunately early mornings is the only time available to me to do any additional gym work so I don't think yoga is an option at the moment but thanks for the advice.

You dont need to do a class, plenty of beginners stuff on youtube. not ideal bit better than nothing.

would set you up nicely for the day too

Advertisement