Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Reserve Uniform

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Sure while they're at it, why don't they colour code everyone's uniform as well, so the public fully know who they're dealing with. Good workers could have a navy stripe on their hat and reserves a royal blue one. Reserves that have to be 'babysat or mollycoddled' as was said before, could have a baby blue one, while racists or homophobes could have a black one. A person who could most likely be hung over while dealing with the public might be given a p**sy yellow one, and a person who does nothing but his/her nails, a pink one. The person who would need help to tie their shoes could sport a green one and there'd be a red stripe for the person who just isn't interested in doing their job properly any more, doesn't want to be there, and avoids work at all costs!
    Now that I think about it, we could colour code everyone, in every job, who has to interact with the public in any way...that way we'd always know who we're dealing with! 'Good evening, customer care - how may I help you? Yeah, I was just wondering...actually, before that, could you tell me what colour stripe you have on your uniform? It's red Madam. Ah, ok...could you put me through to someone else then please!'

Ps, this post was written purely tongue in cheek, and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

The above should be post of the week! Fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Sure while they're at it, why don't they colour code everyone's uniform as well, so the public fully know who they're dealing with. Good workers could have a navy stripe on their hat and reserves a royal blue one. Reserves that have to be 'babysat or mollycoddled' as was said before, could have a baby blue one, while racists or homophobes could have a black one. A person who could most likely be hung over while dealing with the public might be given a p**sy yellow one, and a person who does nothing but his/her nails, a pink one. The person who would need help to tie their shoes could sport a green one and there'd be a red stripe for the person who just isn't interested in doing their job properly any more, doesn't want to be there, and avoids work at all costs!
    Now that I think about it, we could colour code everyone, in every job, who has to interact with the public in any way...that way we'd always know who we're dealing with! 'Good evening, customer care - how may I help you? Yeah, I was just wondering...actually, before that, could you tell me what colour stripe you have on your uniform? It's red Madam. Ah, ok...could you put me through to someone else then please!'

Ps, this post was written purely tongue in cheek, and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental!

I am mentally dishing the stripes out to the entire division! hilarious post

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

timwynne wrote: »
    I am mentally dishing the stripes out to the entire division! hilarious post

Not a chance of it happening

Raider190 wrote: »

its already happened

• Advertisement

its already happened

Sorry dont think so

Sorry dont think so

It did

yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It did

yesterday

No, AGSI voted to put forward a proposal, nothing more

Edit: Ah, I see now... Bit late in the evening for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

**kicks off shoes, gets popcorn
    and sits back to watch what ensues **

i mentally dished out the stripes yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    Got a text about this also. can't find anything on the net . AGSI voted for reserves to have a different uniform to full time gardai. It's so the public will know how to tell the difference between us. More like "it's a reserve and dont bother talking to them".
    They tried this when the first class went in to Templemore in 2006. They wanted a blue band around the hat. The whole class threatened in front of the media to walk back out the gates again if it happened.

I still actually have the extra item that was part of the uniform!

Dee5 wrote: »
    I still actually have the extra item that was part of the uniform!

a historical artifact that should be treasured

remember where you came from and all that!

a historical artifact that should be treasured

remember where you came from and all that!

We will never need it

We will never need it

you wont for sure.........................

you wont for sure.........................

You are right I won't and never will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

As a retired sergeant I recall being appalled that the Garda reserve uniform would be virtually indistinguishable from the regular uniform. I was often confused myself when speaking to reservists only realising that they were such when they themselves told me.
    The public should not be confused either by who they are speaking to or see on the beat so I would support a reserve uniform with a very obvious difference from the regular force.

I don't see this as a dig by the regular force on reservists but as a visible acceptance of reality.

I accept that reservists were treated meanly during the current recruitment process and should have been given preference in selection - that's why most joined it. Now that this has been exposed as a sham they should consider their options. It must be one of the most frustrating 'jobs' in the country now - no pay, no powers and now also no prospects.

As a retired sergeant I recall being appalled that the Garda reserve uniform would be virtually indistinguishable from the regular uniform. I was often confused myself when speaking to reservists only realising that they were such when they themselves told me.
    The public should not be confused either by who they are speaking to or see on the beat so I would support a reserve uniform with a very obvious difference from the regular force.

I don't see this as a dig by the regular force on reservists but as a visible acceptance of reality.

I accept that reservists were treated meanly during the current recruitment process and should have been given preference in selection - that's why most joined it. Now that this has been exposed as a sham they should consider their options. It must be one of the most frustrating 'jobs' in the country now - no pay, no powers and now also no prospects.

Some good points but I can never see the uniform changing. It would be a retro active step now that reserve is moving to the next evolution. New powers will soon be announced which will only enhance the reserves contribution to day today policing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Some good points but I can never see the uniform changing. It would be a retro active step now that reserve is moving to the next evolution. New powers will soon be announced which will only enhance the reserves contribution to day today policing

Raider, you have been telling us about these powers now nearly a year.

The only logical reason AGS won't give us new uniforms is because it will cost money, money AGS dose not have.

They would want to give some regular lads new uniforms never mind giving us Reserves new ones.

msg11 wrote: »
    Raider, you have been telling us about these powers now nearly a year.

The only logical reason AGS won't give us new uniforms is because it will cost money, money AGS dose not have.

They would want to give some regular lads new uniforms never mind giving us Reserves new ones.

Don't be so negative , they are on the way . As for uniforms I have received a new set every two years as have the regulars on my unit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Don't be so negative , they are on the way . As for uniforms I have received a new set every two years as have the regulars on my unit.

"my unit" Have you been listening to ex Commissioner Callinan too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Considering you only wear the uniform 4 hours a week it should last you a lifetime!

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Considering you only wear the uniform 4 hours a week it should last you a lifetime!

My first shirt on the job lasted 35mins due to a stabbing victims blood in the public office

You just never know whats going to greet you as a Garda member!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

My first shirt on the job lasted 35mins due to a stabbing victims blood in the public office

You just never know whats going to greet you as a Garda member!

Been there

Been there

Yeah blood has been spilled on my gear before, some of it my own!

Had a sec49 spew all over my boots en route to the breathalyzer. Horrendous smell and unusual pink colour

welcome to the gards they said!

4 hours what a joke. Have worked a lot more than that.
    Shady still waiting for an answer to my question

WilcoOut wrote: »

Had a sec49 spew all over my boots en route to the breathalyzer. Horrendous smell and unusual pink colour

Of course you have

Been there

Been where

WilcoOut wrote: »

Of course you have

4 hours what a joke. Have worked a lot more than that.
    Shady still waiting for an answer to my question

• Advertisement

Of course you have

Im making it all up

your the only person in AGS with war stories

i forgot!

Advertisement