Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Reserve Uniform

Options
  • 16-04-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Was this agreed today? I was told it was but can't fin anything on net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Was this agreed today? I was told it was but can't fin anything on net

What ? Where this coming from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's a bit over the top!

Batman+costume+DarkKnightRises.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

AGSI want reserve uniforms to be distinguishable from fulltimers

i think a cape would be dashing and exactly what the organisation currently needs in this time of crisis

should shore up a scandal or two

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Got a text about this also. can't find anything on the net . AGSI voted for reserves to have a different uniform to full time gardai. It's so the public will know how to tell the difference between us. More like "it's a reserve and dont bother talking to them".
    They tried this when the first class went in to Templemore in 2006. They wanted a blue band around the hat. The whole class threatened in front of the media to walk back out the gates again if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Scouser wrote: »
    AGSI want reserve uniforms to be distinguishable from fulltimers

i think a cape would be dashing and exactly what the organisation currently needs in this time of crisis

should shore up a scandal or two

Middle finger being shown to reserve here again IMO. Agree with you, a lot more to be worried about than minuscule rubbish like that

• Advertisement

Middle finger being shown to reserve here again IMO. Agree with you, a lot more to be worried about than minuscule rubbish like that

id expect this from the GRA but middle management.............. :rolleyes:

It's a joke, I wouldn't advise anybody to join it now even though I was a member for years

It's a joke, I wouldn't advise anybody to join it now even though I was a member for years

look beyond the nonsense

its a worthwhile endevour and as a citizen of this country your more than entitled to support your police force and you should be proud in doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Do the reserve not wear epaulettes which distinguishes them anyway? Albeit, not very noticeable ones.

look beyond the nonsense

its a worthwhile endevour and as a citizen of this country your more than entitled to support your police force and you should be proud in doing so

Not getting into a debate but there are more worthwhile and rewarding volunteering endeavors one could do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

redout wrote: »
    Do the reserve not wear epaulettes which distinguishes them anyway? Albeit, not very noticeable ones.

Is it not GR before their numbers, where as Garda are their district, as in Blanch is KC before their numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Trouble down t'mill me reckons

Obviously middle management are not as impressed with the Reserves as some of the Reserves try to convince us. The middle management of today are the senior management of tomorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

billie1b wrote: »
    Is it not GR before their numbers, where as Garda are their district, as in Blanch is KC before their numbers

I think that they still have the district number but in addition have GR above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

redout wrote: »
    I think that they still have the district number but in addition have GR above it.

Yeah I think your correct, its like

GR
    KC

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Trouble down t'mill me reckons

Obviously middle management are not as impressed with the Reserves as some of the Reserves try to convince us. The middle management of today are the senior management of tomorow.

Why would they be impressed with us? We can't do anything for them!

This has been going on for 7 years, time for some one to stand up in AGSI and say we actually want them to do a bit more rather than having to babysit them every saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

. The middle management of today are the senior management of tomorow.

and the reserves are the mules of tomorrow no?

its all cyclical and eventually the rot will stop. AGSI have one shot a year and getting some national new inches/waves and they should be concentrating on bigger issue to be quite curt about it.

sure nobody listens to them anyway, the minister of the day is not even bothered turning up. says it all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

timwynne wrote: »

its all cyclical and eventually the rot will stop. AGSI have one shot a year and getting some national new inches/waves and they should be concentrating on bigger issue to be quite curt about it.

sure nobody listens to them anyway, the minister of the day is not even bothered turning up. says it all
    The "minister of the day" is yesterday's man. There's a reshuffle coming and the new man is the one to be dealing with.

The "minister of the day" is yesterday's man. There's a reshuffle coming and the new man is the one to be dealing with.

doesnt matter - they were snubbed by the boss. regardless what personality is this weeks boss

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

l

It doesn't appear so at the moment...

mfergus wrote: »
    It doesn't appear so at the moment...

well some will be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So a different uniform for Reserve Garda.

Jesus are they just trying to confuse the **** out of everyone. People will be thinking there are two police forces in the state.

The ordinary people have no idea what the Reserve can or can't do, now we will have our own uniform only to add more confusion to people.

I think the thinking behind this is to show people how little Garda are on the streets. When in fact people will be thinking is that a new Garda uniform, are the Garda now calling themselves Reserve Garda.

I would have been more impressed if someone had of stood up in that meeting and said what everyone is thinking. Either give the Reserves more powers or just pull the plug on it.

If this comes in and there no new powers or changes to what we can do, I will be calling it a day. I am about 95% sure I am totally wasting my time, solely based on the attitudes of members towards me. Quite frankly it's sad and childish the attitudes. People come into my job all the time for work experience, I get on with them and get on with the job, I don't focus my efforts on interrogating the person on why they would want to do the job or are they mental working for free.

I'm sick to death of this babysitting non sense. I say it as it is to people if I am a burden on there work load or they have something to do or rather be in the back of the car, then bring me back the station and I will just go home. I am only asked to do four hours so once there done I usually go. It's impression I am ment with. I think this needs to change more than the uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

msg11 wrote: »
    So a different uniform for Reserve Garda.

Jesus are they just trying to confuse the **** out of everyone. People will be thinking there are two police forces in the state.

The ordinary people have no idea what the Reserve can or can't do, now we will have our own uniform only to add more confusion to people.

I think the thinking behind this is to show people how little Garda are on the streets. When in fact people will be thinking is that a new Garda uniform, are the Garda now calling themselves Reserve Garda.

I would have been more impressed if someone had of stood up in that meeting and said what everyone is thinking. Either give the Reserves more powers or just pull the plug on it.

If this comes in and there no new powers or changes to what we can do, I will be calling it a day. I am about 95% sure I am totally wasting my time, solely based on the attitudes of members towards me. Quite frankly it's sad and childish the attitudes. People come into my job all the time for work experience, I get on with them and get on with the job, I don't focus my efforts on interrogating the person on why they would want to do the job or are they mental working for free.

I'm sick to death of this babysitting non sense. I say it as it is to people if I am a burden on there work load or they have something to do or rather be in the back of the car, then bring me back the station and I will just go home. I am only asked to do four hours so once there done I usually go. It's impression I am ment with. I think this needs to change more than the uniform.

I can guarantee if they try to change the uniform in any way shape or form they will be met with a lot of Reserve Garda badges, is this what the want, also from a health & Safety point of view it would make the Reserve more of a target for people, the first thing that would be said sure feck off you cant do anything.

Sure the agsi should be more worried about whats in the media at the present time and how they can enhance the force not alienate it further as it is at the present time, people dont care if you are FT / PT all they want is for help to turn up when its needed and an ear to bend when they have a few drinks.

msg11 you have hit the nail on the head from your last point, this is mainly down to the upper rank structure not accepting us and then this filters down to the bottom, if it was accepted by the top things would be different, as for the power aspect the course is now climbing towards its first year finished and still no powers have been handed down, you would think with everything they would be asking for the powers to be given out in order that the Reserve force can do what they were supposed to do when they enlisted, and not just put a jacket on and look pretty standing beside one of your FT colleagues as that's exactly whats happening.

I also agree that its either disband the Reserve force or give them what they need in order for them to have an active part in AGS.

I would go as far to say. In it's current form it's useless. The experience gained from it is useless, unless you enter into a competition with the masses where it's down to been fast and intelligent. Any Reserve onto stage 4 at the moment will make excellent Garda. Sadly, I didn't make it too the grade, but I am in limbo do I stick it out and wait, but then I ask what's my purpose in AGS if I am stuck at stage 1 in band 2 because I am not deemed the required aptitude for entry to AGS why the hell am I in AGS currently as a Reserve. Then I read this sort of stuff it adds to my list of reasons to pack it in. But inside me there's something saying just stay, 2 years of waiting on my application making my way down for training, then heading in for shifts. I actually must be off my rocker.

I ask what's my purpose in AGS if I am stuck at stage 1 in band 2 because I am not deemed the required aptitude for entry to AGS why the hell am I in AGS currently as a Reserve. .

thats baffling everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

doesnt matter - they were snubbed by the boss. regardless what personality is this weeks boss

OT, but I was under the impression he was not invited

Edit: Actually it was the GRA who didnt invite him

thats baffling everyone!

Sorry, are you just talking about me or others?

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    OT, but I was under the impression he was not invited

He was invited, he wasn't invited to the GRA meeting I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

He was invited, he wasn't invited to the GRA meeting I think?

Yeah, I edited after googling it. He turned agsi down because its Jewish passover apparently

Sorry, are you just talking about me or others?

im talking about all the reserves out there actually doing police work being told your not good enough to do policework!

theres two lads on my unit who are great to have around and are fine reserves and they would make fine gardai both of them.they still have to jump through hoops to get in. if you saw them jumping through gang fights and all sorts of capers you wouldnt think twice of putting them in the college!!3

theres a guy on another unit with a law degree and works privately in cybercrime/fraud advice sector whos waiting to go through to stage 3. he should be promoted straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

thats baffling everyone!

Were the bands an auld carrot for the reserves to keep them interested and turning up when ever asked with the hope of progressing...

Advertisement