Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Pity, I always liked them

It's sister car, the Honda civic, albeit older, is better built and far more reliable car. If I wanted a car like that I'd be going down the Honda route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's sister car, the Honda civic, albeit older, is better built and far more reliable car. If I wanted a car like that I'd be going down the Honda route :)

You'd pay more for a 200k miles '95 Civic than for a 50k miles '05 Rover 400 though :D

Never liked the Rover 400 series myself. Horrible to drive. Did own a Rover 75 with the same K-series engine from when it was 5 years old until it was 10 years old. No head gasket problems at all. Just make sure the car has coolant (so it doesn't overheat) and you won't have any problems. That's obviously too much to ask for 90% of owners though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Soarer wrote: »

Is that not verging on to good to be true?!

C0N0R wrote: »
    Is that not verging on to good to be true?!

No it's just about right imho. Car is worth about €800 and there's about €600 tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

unkel wrote: »
    No it's just about right imho. Car is worth about €800 and there's about €600 tax on it.

Fair enough, what are those omegas like reliability wise? I'd imagine there not the easiest on gas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You'd pay more for a 200k miles '95 Civic than for a 50k miles '05 Rover 400 though :D
    The ma/mb rover shape civics can be picked up for peanuts though. A good 98 or 99 example can be got for around €6-700. They can also be got with the excellent 1.5 unit which produces 114bhp whilst still returning 45-50 mpg.

The model of civic you are thinking about is the Jap EG 3dr hatch, saloon. These are far more desirable and sought after compared to the rover shaped civic and as a result the cost more. They are essentially the same car, or at least very similar, underneath.
    Never liked the Rover 400 series myself. Horrible to drive.
    In stock form they mightn't be the nicest to drive, but considering they are a car from the mid 90's they are remarkably comfortable and refined. The use Honda's excellent double wishbone suspension means, with a few mods, they can be turned into an excellent drivers car however. Just look at how good the mg zs is to drive, it's one of the best handling fwd cars out there and easily beats it's siblings, the zr and zt in the twisties.
    Did own a Rover 75 with the same K-series engine from when it was 5 years old until it was 10 years old. No head gasket problems at all. Just make sure the car has coolant (so it doesn't overheat) and you won't have any problems. That's obviously too much to ask for 90% of owners though :D
    I honestly don't believe that the route cause of the vast majority of hg failures on these is coolant loss. I think its mainly down to the design of the block coupled with the long bolt setup. You had good luck with yours though, many unfortunately haven't though, even in the UK were the vast majority of cars are maintained by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fair enough, what are those omegas like reliability wise? I'd imagine there not the easiest on gas?
    Not too bad, a little underpowered with that engine, How many Commodores do you see with a 2.0 engine? Very few since the Nissan engined VL.
    Thats the same chassis as the later VR Commodore

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe that the route cause of the vast majority of hg failures on these is coolant loss. I think its mainly down to the design of the block coupled with the long bolt setup.

I don't disagree! Of course it is a weakness in the design. My point is though that an owner knowing about this weakness is a lot less likely to blow the HG than someone just trashing it about, never checking temps / coolant

What didn't help on my particular car was that the CTS went faulty too, which seemed to be a common enough issue when I researched it. Main Rover dealer "diagnosed" mine as having HGF, the lazy feckers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I had one for a few years. Hard on petrol , bad handling and very under powered . 2.0 was not the best engine for a car that size. But very reliable .
    Went on to become a field car for a bit of fun and lasted a few weeks after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kaiser D wrote: »
    28769606.jpeg
    1 owner.

That Golf looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

have you a link Kaiser?

****e, link added to post now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Awwwwwww. Id fcuking LOVE THAT!!!!!!! Wanna know why??

I lost my virginity in the back of one in the early 90's...they were the van to have back then.....a young one called lisa,-she was a goer!!!! ,lol . U2 playing on the tapedeck...a sat night outside the local nighclub.......ahhhhhh man. Them was the dayz!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd give my right nut for that golf. You'd want her on a lift though. Bastards for rust.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Awwwwwww. Id fcuking LOVE THAT!!!!!!! Wanna know why??

I lost my virginity in the back of one in the early 90's...they were the van to have back then.....a young one called lisa,-she was a goer!!!! ,lol . U2 playing on the tapedeck...a sat night outside the local nighclub.......ahhhhhh man. Them was the dayz!!!!

The 19 Supervan was also the van to have in the mid 90s.

All down hill from there for Renault commercials after then, with the Megavan...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The 19 Supervan was also the van to have in the mid 90s.

All down hill from there for Renault commercials after then, with the Megavan...

Yep.agreed...

And remember the loads of micra vans and fiesta flair vans going around....biscuit tins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Certainly not for everyone at this age or money.!
    But it has shined up well.!
    Test 'till 2015
    3 months tax
    Asking €1,250

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/could-this-be-the-best-carina-e-for-sale/6776394

28665384.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

These are actually decent to drive :eek:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-nissan-tino/6799256

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

W123-80's wrote: »
    Certainly not for everyone at this age or money.!
    But it has shined up well.!
    Test 'till 2015
    3 months tax
    Asking €1,250

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/could-this-be-the-best-carina-e-for-sale/6776394

28665384.jpeg

That's expensive for it's age. I bought a 95 model for €1000 with over a years NCT about 6 years ago. Never had to get anything for it. Came with four new tyres as well.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    These are actually decent to drive :eek:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-nissan-tino/6799256

Are they half decent reliability wise?
    Bargain modern family car if they are.

colm_mcm wrote: »

28761998.jpeg

Snazzy, I see the owner is a frequent Halfords 'modifications' aisle customer.

28761998.jpeg

Snazzy, I see the owner is a frequent Halfords 'modifications' aisle customer.

Tbh I think that's genuine Peugeot tat.

That's expensive for it's age. I bought a 95 model for €1000 with over a years NCT about 6 years ago. Never had to get anything for it. Came with four new tyres as well.

Bought a 93 2.0 diesel myself for €1250 back in 2004.
    I already suggested the car is not for everyone at the current asking price.

Great thing about these cars is they hit a bit of a floor in terms of depreciation and don't go much below that for a long time if they are looked after.

Simple, reliable cars. regardless of the first two digits on the number plate.

That T5 is a proper sleeper...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

W123-80's wrote: »
    Bought a 93 2.0 diesel myself for €1250 back in 2004.
    I already suggested the car is not for everyone at the current asking price.

Great thing about these cars is they hit a bit of a floor in terms of depreciation and don't go much below that for a long time if they are looked after.

Simple, reliable cars. regardless of the first two digits on the number plate.

They are great for trouble free motoring. Also on the 6 years ago it was probably even more than 6 years ago. As it's 2014 now. The years are flying by.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement