Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Sales 2014

Options

Comments

corkgsxr wrote: »

Ya thats the dream. Without a major breakthrough there will be no significant increase in range. The current battery tech seems to have peaked.

using A Tesla battery there is absolutely no reason a 40 kwh battery can't be installed in the Leaf today, or at least using similar cells.

It's all down to cost, hence the reason Nissan are thinking of offering different battery sizes for the MK II in 2017.

Tesla are promising 200 mile range affordable EV around 2017.

noelf wrote: »
    I would (and did) choose a golf bluemotion over a prius everytime. Did you get your recall notice yet two million prius are been recalled from 2009 to present for components in transmission overheating causing car to stop

Actually it was for the inverter. There is a lot more chance of a VW Golf giving trouble over a Prius.

VW don't recall where as Toyota will recall even if there is only a slight chance of failure where as VAG won't recall at all even when they know of serious failures !

Do we know what it would cost to replace a faulty battery pack on an out of warranty 4yr old Leaf?

Noone knows the cost and even if they did, Nissan will not replace a pack in a Leaf, they'll only repair if it falls below 70% capacity back to around 70%.

only if you lease the pack will they replace it, leasing option isn't offered in Ireland.

If you're doing 10,000 miles a year then you'll easily see 10 years life from new.

If you buy a leaf with 50,000 miles and do 10K a year you should easily see 7 years use because you'd rarely need to run it down to empty with such low mileage. Even at 70% capacity, the Leaf will find plenty of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I would (and did) choose a golf bluemotion over a prius everytime. Did you get your recall notice yet two million prius are been recalled from 2009 to present for components in transmission overheating causing car to stop

Not yet, it just needs a quick software update. Did you get your Golf recall yet, 3 million VWs being recalled over faulty gearboxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Actually it was for the inverter. There is a lot more chance of a VW Golf giving trouble over a Prius.

VW don't recall where as Toyota will recall even if there is only a slight chance of failure where as VAG won't recall at all even when they know of serious failures !

That's true. VW are a bit like Microsoft, bang it out flawed and let the customer pick up the pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

jca wrote: »
    That's true. VW are a bit like Microsoft, bang it out flawed and let the customer pick up the pieces.
    Or BMW of late :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

BMJD wrote: »
    Not yet, it just needs a quick software update. Did you get your Golf recall yet, 3 million VWs being recalled over faulty gearboxes?

Touche I kept clear of dsg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

using A Tesla battery there is absolutely no reason a 40 kwh battery can't be installed in the Leaf today, or at least using similar cells.

It's all down to cost, hence the reason Nissan are thinking of offering different battery sizes for the MK II in 2017.

Tesla are promising 200 mile range affordable EV around 2017.

According to greencarreports a Israeli company is developing a aluminum air battery with a 1000 ! Mile range with an unnamed car company and aluminum supplier

BMJD wrote: »

Too much reading after been in front of a screen all day, however it seems the recall in the UK was only in relation to light fuses and not dsg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Too much reading after been in front of a screen all day, however it seems the recall in the UK was only in relation to light fuses and not dsg ?

I dunno, I just Googled vw recalls, it was the first of many results :p

• Advertisement

According to greencarreports a Israeli company is developing a aluminum air battery with a 1000 ! Mile range with an unnamed car company and aluminum supplier

There's a lot of companies, Universities working on Lithium Air including Toyota.

The problem with a 100 kwh battery is trying to charge it in any meaningful time.

I still insist that this is completely unnecessary for most people.

I do 80-84 miles a day and plugging in every night is not a big deal for me. I wouldn't pay for more than 200 miles range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I just thought this was an interesting comparison to make. The Number of Nissan Leafs sold in all of 2013 versus January to March in 2014.

301499.JPG

Mostly PCP sales I expect ?

I have to say I did not find 600Pm with 2500 down as attractive at all and then not owning the car after 3 years.

I know my mileage is high, but that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Also there are 4 BMW i3 registred this year, 3 ones are marked as electric, 3 electric Fluence and 1 Twizzy.

That brings 331 electrics cars registered since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Wow - 3 Fluence Z.E's sold this year. Anyone on here got one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Wow - 3 Fluence Z.E's sold this year. Anyone on here got one?

No but I was looking at one this evening. They're dealer demos. Registered but not sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

ba_barabus wrote: »
    No but I was looking at one this evening. They're dealer demos. Registered but not sold.

Price?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Excellent, I wonder how much of that was down to me ? :D

50 isn't a huge amount but they sales seem to be gaining traction.

It will be interesting to see how many buy the I3, E-Golf and the Mercedes B class EV.

But it's nice to see that there were more sold in Jan than all of last year.

Global ev sales are predicted to explode this year.

How many if them were token
    Fleet cars V domestic purchasers

Price?

No idea. They're parked outside Michael Grant's in Sandymount. I was filling up with diesel next door in Maxol and walked over to have a look at them. Boot space is errrrr limited in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

No idea. They're parked outside Michael Grant's in Sandymount. I was filling up with diesel next door in Maxol and walked over to have a look at them. Boot space is errrrr limited in them.

Well, that's what happens when you fill it up with batteries BUT nicer looking than the leaf IMO, can't find any info at all on the Renault.ie site about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The RHD tesla is due very very soon. It'll be nice to see what the take up is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

That would make sense. I had a look at one in a Renault dealer a few weeks ago and the sales guy implied I must have some kind of mental disorder to be even considering one. Renault Ireland have a load of Fluence Z.E's gathering dust apparently. Renault have stopped producing them.

I picked up my new LEAF 4 days ago so I'm responsible for 1/29th of the March stats... Very impressed with it so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

So, let see how things worked out:
    http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-news-and-events/electric-car-press-releases/electric-cars-a-reality-for-ireland.jsp

We were suposed to have 2000 cars in 2011 but have about 400 in 2014. It seems that car manufacturers failed to attract public, they also failed to deliver. There are currently few cars in production that are not sold in Ireland:
    - Tesla X
    - electric Ford Focus
    - electric Toyota RAV4
    - electric Fiat 500
    - electric Golf
    - Smart ED
    - Honda Fit EV
    and quite a few of Chinese EV cars.
    Special hell waits for makers of those two cars, which are available in UK but not here:
    - Chevrolet Volt or Opel/Vauxhall Ampera
    - Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    - Renault ZOE
    ESB supposed to install 1500 public chargers - maps shows 427 in RoI. It seems that ESB did job well, as they scaled down on on-street charging, scaled up on fast charging and restricted plans in reflection of poor EV sales.

It also means that if we include private charge points then there is more than 2 for every EV, maybe ESB is too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

September1 wrote: »

There was a branded one of these outside Mitsubishi Ireland when I went past there, a couple of weeks ago.

Don't see any pricing available yet, seems like a funny yoke to make Electric.

BMW are struggling for availability of the i3 in Ireland. Such short supply that we weren't even allowed to drive the BMW demo model - presume it's already found a home when BMW finished showing it off.

Wouldn't have minded a spin - very strange car on the inside. Finish on some trim panels is very similar to my Fibreglassing efforts on my first car.....

September1 wrote: »
    So, let see how things worked out:
    http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-news-and-events/electric-car-press-releases/electric-cars-a-reality-for-ireland.jsp

We were suposed to have 2000 cars in 2011 but have about 400 in 2014. It seems that car manufacturers failed to attract public, they also failed to deliver. There are currently few cars in production that are not sold in Ireland:
    - Tesla X
    - electric Ford Focus
    - electric Toyota RAV4
    - electric Fiat 500
    - electric Golf
    - Smart ED
    - Honda Fit EV
    and quite a few of Chinese EV cars.
    Special hell waits for makers of those two cars, which are available in UK but not here:
    - Chevrolet Volt or Opel/Vauxhall Ampera
    - Renault ZOE
    ESB supposed to install 1500 public chargers - maps shows 427 in RoI. It seems that ESB did job well, as they scaled down on on-street charging, scaled up on fast charging and restricted plans in reflection of poor EV sales.

It also means that if we include private charge points then there is more than 2 for every EV, maybe ESB is too optimistic?

Some of the cars above are U.S compliance cars made for California only with the exception of the E-Golf, Model S and Smart, Zoe and the New outlander Plug In.

I do admit that with the exception of the Model S there are no perfect ev's yet.

The leaf, even if it had 500 miles range would still not suit everyone and there are many that won't buy it just because it's a Nissan. You're not going to convince die hard Audi, BMW and Merc drivers to buy a Nissan electric because the neighbours might thing they're poor.

More people might pay extra for the I3 and Golf. The PCP rates on the I3 are horrific and that's most likely for 10,000 miles a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

14 hours from Belfast to Cork.

This is why Electric cars are still years away from being market ready IMO.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/14-hour-electric-car-trek-nearly-came-up-short-on-almost-impossible-journey-265387.html

RedorDead wrote: »
    14 hours from Belfast to Cork.

This is why Electric cars are still years away from being market ready IMO.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/14-hour-electric-car-trek-nearly-came-up-short-on-almost-impossible-journey-265387.html

It misses the entire point of these cars. They're at their best doing short journeys and occasional long ones. I really think they suit families with two cars or people who very rarely go on a long trip.

It would work for me doing 25000 miles a year, hardly a useless car.

Not often I drive Belfast to Cork so I couldn't care less. But if I needed to I'd take the prius.

25000 miles a year between my work commute and weekend trips, run-a-bouts etc, 100,000 miles in 5 years. Yeah such a useless car the Leaf ! :D

Remember the limit is not technology but cost and especially car manufacturers resistance to electric cars, think VW-E-golf, I3 etc, the German car makers could have offered a real 100-140 mile range car if they wanted to, but they don't and it's as simple as that.

It misses the entire point of these cars. They're at their best doing short journeys and occasional long ones. I really think they suit families with two cars or people who very rarely go on a long trip.

My point is customers must compromise when you purchase one. To gain general acceptance amongst all buyers you cannot take 14 hours to drive from Belfast to Cork. Why should you need to compromise?

• Advertisement

It would work for me doing 25000 miles a year, hardly a useless car.

Not often I drive Belfast to Cork so I couldn't care less. But if I needed to I'd take the prius.

25000 miles a year between my work commute and weekend trips, run-a-bouts etc, 100,000 miles in 5 years. Yeah such a useless car the Leaf ! :D

Remember the limit is not technology but cost and especially car manufacturers resistance to electric cars, think VW-E-golf, I3 etc, the German car makers could have offered a real 100-140 mile range car if they wanted to, but they don't and it's as simple as that.

I never used the word useless. I said they are still years off general market acceptance.

Advertisement