Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 4:04pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

With household charges, water metering, flood defence and planning dominating the news over the past year, the forthcoming local elections are set to be a lively affair.

So if a candidate came knocking at your door tomorrow what would you ask them? What issues affect you and yours on a daily basis? What would you like to see changed or introduced? How satisfied are you with the current crowd and what would you like to see changed tomorrow? Do local politics even matter and how should a candidate justify themselves to the electorate?

This thread is intended to raise issues that are important to you, so hopefully local candidates can take notice. Also this thread is to have no canvassing by candidates or party representatives, and any such actions will not be allowed.

We at Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions that you the posters have posed in this threads. When that time comes we aim to use separate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Most importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Co Wexford and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organization of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

3 year wait for children's occupational therapy in Enniscorthy.

Small school losing a teacher.

It is heart breaking . So few politicans attend our meetings or answer us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Won't entertain a word out of any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Mrsweasley wrote: »
    3 year wait for children's occupational therapy in Enniscorthy.

Small school losing a teacher.

It is heart breaking . So few politicans attend our meetings or answer us.

Is this something a local councillor can fix? I am not sure what to ask anyone who calls as I don't really know what local councillors have the power to do.

My understanding is that they represent us on the local council so would assume their function relates to issues around planning, zoning and bye laws and general issues that come under the remit of the council. So while they may not be able to fix issues like the examples above, they should be able to help with provision of social housing, repairing roads, voting on setting speed limits on local (& regional?) roads, among other things.

Anyone got a useful link on the kind of things they could be doing and so we could try to discuss and influence when they call?

Actually now that I think of it this will be my first question, what does a local councillor do and if you are elected what can you actually do for Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

Our hope would have been that a local councillor would talk to a TD. desperate times you will try anything.

Your question is a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My question is similar to the above , in that the National issues , need to be challenged by local representatives .
    I think many Wexford people feel let down continuously by elected representatives .

So my question , is that as continous Goverments continue to target the old , the young and the unemployed .
    What influence are these newly elected Representatives going to have , to challenge the policies of successive Governments, and will local reps ,have any control/influence over local issues ,like water charges rates ,pylons overground , and how can we trust the new local government to ensure that revenue like the new property tax is spent locally on local services .

• Advertisement

Looks like Wexford voters have no questions to ask the candidates , judging by this thread anyway .

And it also looks like the candidates are not interested in been asked questions , as I have been told of some candidates just throwing the flyers through letterboxes , and not bothering to wait for answer at the doors .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Yeah there has been a bit of that around here too

I am also curious as to what the councillors do, but more importantly to me what they themselvese think they can achieve, I travel in different political circles and I see both extremes, there are the dynasty boys who are running for election because their family are political so its expected of them, and I know a few of the candidates from the cahwt movement who are optomistic idealists and really believe they can make a difference. So I would be trying to suss out which type they are, and if I get even a whiff of career advancement I'll turn the hose on them

So far no callers and just 2 leaflets in the door.
    One basically saying they are following in a parent's footsteps and another saying they have experience working for a TD so think they'll be able to help people with applications and things.

Still not convinced this is their role, but unfortunately they didn't ring when putting in the leaflets, so I didn't get a chance to ask them about what they think they can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Looks like Wexford voters have no questions to ask the candidates , judging by this thread anyway .

And it also looks like the candidates are not interested in been asked questions , as I have been told of some candidates just throwing the flyers through letterboxes , and not bothering to wait for answer at the doors .

It's part of the general apathy with which people have come to view politics and politicians. The record of the current government since coming to power on a wave of promises of reform of the system, is abysmal. People feel disenfranchised.
    Politicians from government parties are not keen to engage on the doorstep because they know they'll get an earful and those from FF realise the tide has not turned for them and people have longer memories then they bargained for. In Wexford that leaves SF, who will always have something to say but little to offer except pie in the sky.
    Independents and one issue candidates will probably do well this time around but really what use is the council anyway? Councillors have little power, most of that is vested in the County Manager and other faceless bureaucrats who are remote from what little democracy remains in this country

All the above is true , and these elections will probably have low turnout .

But surely people need guidance and encouragement to vote .

No matter what , everyone should vote , and its well known , that voting is without doubt of the few fundamental human rights .

I always vote , and I always vote between 9-10pm , and I can clearly see on the sheets , that out of around 30 houses , less than 10 people cast their vote up to this time .

• Advertisement

Was talking to a few people in college last week about the european elections, voter turnout is becoming a serious issue, apparently voting is seen as something old people do.

having an input in the direction your nation takes is sooooooooo 20th century

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Had a local councillor affiliated with one of the current parties in power call recently. Expected a shake of the hand and 'you'll consider me for your vote' speel as he backed away after handing me his leaflet.

Was surprised when I tackled him and expressed my disappointment on a number of issues. Heard afterwards that he was 'not happy' with my attitude - it seems he was told that my vote was 'in the bag'.

This is the 1st year that I voiced my opinion at the doorstep as I am feeling strongly on certain topics and how he thought that he was entitled to an easy ride is beyond me..

Masala wrote: »
    Had a local councillor affiliated with one of the current parties in power call recently. Expected a shake of the hand and 'you'll consider me for your vote' speel as he backed away after handing me his leaflet.

Was surprised when I tackled him and expressed my disappointment on a number of issues. Heard afterwards that he was 'not happy' with my attitude - it seems he was told that my vote was 'in the bag'.

This is the 1st year that I voiced my opinion at the doorstep as I am feeling strongly on certain topics and how he thought that he was entitled to an easy ride is beyond me..

Maybe you have a history of voting for a particular party or your candidate has a particularly good tallyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I have voted once in 22 years of eligibility... national and local.

I don't care much for politics. The way I see it they all promise you the moon, the stars and the sky and deliver little or nothing. They're pretty much all a bunch of muppets, so I don't care which ones are running the show.

Irrespective of party affiliation, Johnny Mythen is one guy that seems to be out there fighting the good fight for the average joe. I've nothing to do with Johnny, he just strikes me as a guy that's out there representing people. I could be completely wrong, I'm just going on what my own two eyes are telling me.

Sounds cynical... but I really have better things to worry about and have little or no faith in Irish politics.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I have voted once in 22 years of eligibility... national and local.

I don't care much for politics. The way I see it they all promise you the moon, the stars and the sky and deliver little or nothing. They're pretty much all a bunch of muppets, so I don't care which ones are running the show.

Sounds cynical... but I really have better things to worry about and have little or no faith in Irish politics.

This is typical of the apathy of which I spoke, people feel disenfranchised.
    Really though, this is playing into the hands of the establishment parties, they have a hard core of voters who they know will vote for them, the floating voter, who is certain to vote but doesn't commit to any particular party are the ones to play for. As for the rest, the politicians couldn't give a flying fcuk, if you don't vote then they don't need to worry about you.
    If you've no faith in the big parties then vote for your local independent, even if they don't get in, the fact that a sizeable proportion of the electorate vote outside of the mainstream will make them sit up and take notice. We give our politicians too easy a life when we should be making them work for every vote and not just at election time.

This is a a position I have often taken in the pub or when talking to younger people,

I have only one response to people who PROUDLY PROCLAIM that they dont vote

Fu c k Off, you have no right to join any discussion on irish politics.

If you are unwilling to participate in the process then I dont give a **** what your opinion is.

Personally I would like to see an introduction of compulsary voting, by all means spoil your vote if that is how you chose to express your dissatisfaction with the system.

but dont preach to me about the futility of it all if you couldnt be arsed to participate.

You want change, but you are not willing to actually do anything to achieve that change. These are usually the same people who mock me for protesting, well fcuk the lot of em at least I tried to do something.

I have only one response to people who PROUDLY PROCLAIM that they dont vote

Can't help but sense the total and utter hypocrisy there... don't vote, no rights :confused:

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Can't help but sense the total and utter hypocrisy there... don't vote, no rights :confused:

How so?

I'm talking about the people who bemoan the current system yet refuse to engage in any effort to change it.

but yeah, you should forfeit your rights and entitlements if you wont participate, maybe a system where any form of state benefit is linked to the electoral roll, ie if you dont show up at the polling station on friday then dont bother trying to collect your dole on tuesday.

Voting is a right, and choosing not to is a right.

We also have the right to hold an opinion on politics, be it good, bad or indifferent.

Your post (#17) -

Is total and utter nonsense.

I'm a citizen and a tax payer, of course I have the right to an opinion and to engage in debate. If I don't choose to vote that's up to me.

Yes voting is a fundamental right, You relinquished that right when you chose not to vote.

so why should someone who activley refuses to participate in the actual process be tolerated in a discussion on the subject.

• Advertisement

Many reasons -

There'll always be another vote and you'll still be entitled to participate
    As a citizen your entitled to your opinion of how the county is run
    As a tax payer you're entitled to an opinion on how your tax is spent
    Sometimes your opinion about politics determines when you choose not to vote
    etc.

Just because I choose not to vote doesn't mean I can't have an opinion and voice that opinion.

The way I see it, you have chosen not to voice that opinion when you decided not to vote.

you seem to think that your opinion is important enough to proselytise here, but when it really counts, on polling day, you are conspicuously silent.

thats what pisses me off, if you dont want to get involved, fine, currently I cant force you to vote, so dont get involved.

but if you want to be involved in the discussion it is IMO a prerequisite that you vote

I choose if I want to engage in a debate, not you. If you don't like it... too bad.

Its a personal choice really , and should be respected .

Personally , I was brought up been told to always cast my vote , and even remember once driving 15 miles on a lunch-break to vote in a general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have always voted despite having a low opinion of politics, and politicians, because democracy for all its faults is a lot better than the alternative. As for raising issues - despite living in County Wexford since late 2001 and in Enniscorthy town since 2005 - I've never once been canvassed. I used to write to local politicians but now I have better things to do with my time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

€50.00 fine for those that don't vote, simples

I always make sure to use my vote as a lot of women made many sacrifices to let me do so. I don't think it's something to be disregarded.

€50 fine -

What's the benefit of making uninterested people vote? So I go down town and fill in a form because I'm told I have to. I just randomly select a bunch of names, Johnny Leary, Bobo the Clown, Dick Watson, yaddy yada... having no clue who they are or what they do. Job done, no fine, but what has it achieved?

There'll be winners and losers irrespective. Politics goes on.

Btw. Just want to go on the record as saying I've no problem with the voting system and I respect the fact that for many people it's a very important right. Personally I'm happier ignoring politics, more often than not it just depresses me. The time I did vote was because the politicians PA sent the County Council a letter to help with my planning permission...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note
    If a person decides to or not to vote, then that's their choice
    Guys can we please keep to the topic and not let the thread go off course.

• Advertisement

I get up and go to work every day, pay my taxes and respect the law. I honestly don't care for this idea that I'm a part of a problem.

What does Keith Doyle offer over John O'Rourke? I've no idea and don't have the time or the interest to go seeking answers. I'm sure they're all going to fix stuff and make the world a better place, so good luck to them, I'm just not interested in the particulars of it all. I want to spend my time doing the things that make me happy, not getting arsed about things that just don't float my boat.

Poop will get sorted one way or another, irrespective of my vote.

Advertisement