Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Lee to direct Oldboy remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

shocking that is....

I asked a friend of mine to watch the original Total recall....he said no I said why he said I came out before he was born.

you should try watch it

it is very good and so is christine the song from it really makes the movie but.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Just like the Carrie remake, instead of watching it, I just read the wikipedia synopsis.

Saved myself 105 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm actually enjoying some very, very sweet schadenfreude after learning this flopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

shocking that is....

Well I've seen the original, and like others here, feel there was no need to remake it, and when this was remake was getting panned, rather than watch it, I'd just read the synopsis.

I can't say I am a big fan of the original, and the only thing I wanted to know about the american remake was how they were going to handle the big reveals what were in the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The thing about it to me is...the type of people that this is aimed at are all likely people who have seen the original, so it holds basically no surprises for them and not necessarily any appeal

I absolutely loved the original OldBoy, but theres no way I would bring the missus to see it in the Cinema. Its very much an acquired taste. I gave it to a lad in work who I thought would enjoy it, but it turned out that
    if you have kids
    it gives you a very different perspective on the movie :D
    Fysh wrote: »
    Having seen (and loved) the original, there's no way I'm arsed watching this. I've read some of the original comics and will get around to finishing them, but this pointless remake will remain forever unwatched, as far as I'm concerned.

The news about the graphic designer who claims to have come up with the design used in the poster being screwed over and not paid doesn't exactly make me keener on seeing the film either, especially given Lee's "I don't give rat's ass, I got mine"-style responses...
    It got unanimously panned on BBC Film 2013 last night,not one of them could even find one positive thing to say about it. Sounds like a complete disaster of a movie which most people expected.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Without spoilering for people, can anyone tell me does it keep the same ending as the original?
    PanaDrama wrote: »
    Utterly pointless movie remake from a director who hasn't made anything remotely passable in years.

No huge surprise that this turned out to be a crapfest.
    I saw the trailer in the cinema recently, and for anyone who's seen the original, it seemed to be a by the numbers remake, which thus alienates the large audience of those who've already seen it, who would arguably have made up a large portion of the cinema going audience.
    I am so glad it did terrible.....Brolin is a good actor but he should have stayed well clear of it.

Love the Orginal and managed to stay the test of time dispite all the controversy it has had.
    Just like the Carrie remake, instead of watching it, I just read the wikipedia synopsis.

Saved myself 105 minutes.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I probably will watch this out of curiosity at some point but I won't be going to the cinema in order to do so.
    Links234 wrote: »
    I'm actually enjoying some very, very sweet schadenfreude after learning this flopped.

:rolleyes:

Lots of posts about how you're all not going to see a film.
    Raf32 wrote: »
    never saw the original but just back from this today, found it very enjoyable with a genius twist in it, good acting too!

I saw the original, thought it was magnificent, and am really looking forward to catching this on Thursday evening. The snobbery in here is stifling tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Snobbery does not equal people having different opinions to you.

Maybe on Thursday you'll realize just what a bad film this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The snobbery in here is stifling tbh.

But its the boards film forum, snobbery is a requirement.

e_e wrote: »
    Snobbery does not equal people having different opinions to you.

Maybe on Thursday you'll realize just what a bad film this is.

Watch the film and you may hold any opinion you like! A position of 'I assume this film is dreadful and it is an affront to the art of cinema that it was made' is not a worthwile opinion.
    But its the boards film forum, snobbery is a requirement.

Ha. The original is a masterpiece and this remake will probably fail to come close, but I'm happy to go check it out anyway. People tripping over themselves to note how they won't go and see it is, well...strange?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you look back in the thread you'll see i was curious about this and even happy with some of the casting. I've decided not to see the film in the cinema based on the responses of those who have seen it and the less than flattering reviews its receiving. The only person on this thread who liked it hadn't seen the original as far as I can see. By all accounts its a completely redundant remake that offers nothing new over the source material and since I can't afford to go see every film in the cinema I have decided I'll save my money for something I have a better chance of actually enjoying. I will still probably watch it when it makes it onto dvd/netflix.

This is very similar to the train of thought that prevented me from going to see the likes of Grown Ups 2 i the cinema also.

Does that equate to snobbery these days?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you look back in the thread you'll see i was curious about this and even happy with some of the casting. I've decided not to see the film in the cinema based on the responses of those who have seen it and the less than flattering reviews its receiving. The only person on this thread who liked it hadn't seen the original as far as I can see. By all accounts its a completely redundant remake that offers nothing new over the source material and since I can't afford to go see every film in the cinema I have decided I'll save my money for something I have a better chance of actually enjoying. I will still probably watch it when it makes it onto dvd/netflix.

This is very similar to the train of thought that prevented me from going to see the likes of Grown Ups 2 i the cinema also.

Does that equate to snobbery these days?

That isn't snobbery. This is though imo:
    PanaDrama wrote: »
    Utterly pointless movie remake from a director who hasn't made anything remotely passable in years.

No huge surprise that this turned out to be a crapfest.
    Having seen (and loved) the original, there's no way I'm arsed watching this. I've read some of the original comics and will get around to finishing them, but this pointless remake will remain forever unwatched, as far as I'm concerned.

The news about the graphic designer who claims to have come up with the design used in the poster being screwed over and not paid doesn't exactly make me keener on seeing the film either, especially given Lee's "I don't give rat's ass, I got mine"-style responses...

Not wanting to see a film for the terrible reviews its gotten (not to mention it being a part of one of the worst Hollywood trends of the last decade) is snobbery now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That isn't snobbery. This is though imo:

Those comments aren't snobbery, just personal choices. I don't intend seeing this remake, it seems utterly redundant and pointless having (relatively) recently seen the original. But I guess that makes me a snob for some unfathomable, vague reason? :confused:

Please continue suggesting that 'it got poor reviews, I'll give it a miss' and 'they should never have made this film, I would never see it and I'm glad it has flopped and been panned' are one and the same thing. :)

Please continue suggesting that 'it got poor reviews, I'll give it a miss' and 'they should never have made this film, I would never see it and I'm glad it has flopped and been panned' are one and the same thing. :)
    Again, nobody is saying anything like this. You're just piling straw men on top of straw men now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I might never have said it but I was thinking it pretty hard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Snobbery I think you may need to look up the definition, since you highlighted my post and me saying " it sounds like a complete disaster" yea that just reeks of snobbery :rolleyes:.

The trailers are hardly inspiring an American remake of a film like Oldboy are hardly inspiring either then add in the fact it is pretty much getting universally panned does not inspire one to go see it.

Since when is that considered snobbery? Had it looked good in the trailer been receiving rave reviews yes I would be interested to see Spike Lee's take on it but since it seems to have failed on all fronts why go spend my hard earned cash on it?

Will my curiousity get the better of me when it is released on Blu Ray yes probably but to say people in here reek of snobbery because they won't go see it in the cinema or because the trailer was awful or because it is getting bad reviews is just plain stupid imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

:rolleyes:

Lots of posts about how you're all not going to see a film.

I saw the original, thought it was magnificent, and am really looking forward to catching this on Thursday evening. The snobbery in here is stifling tbh.

If this had been a good remake (like Carpenter's Thing, or The Departed) I would quite happily have watched it and praised it if I felt it was worth it. I don't object to all remakes, I object mostly to the ones which aim to take a story well told in a foreign film and retell it in a dumbed-down way with white English-speaking cast members.

However, as details of the remake trickled out at the nature of the project became apparent, any notion I might have had about watching it evaporated like so much morning fog.

I'm not sure:
    a) why you think this is snobbery, or
    b) why it's "stifling".

If you've seen the film and enjoyed it (either on its own rights or in relation to the original) I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on it, or what you enjoyed about it. I'm not saying I'd agree with you or that it would change my mind of the film, but we're all here to share opinions on films, right?

Can't understand it being panned tbh. It's not a patch on the original, but in a vacuum it's above average fare. First half hour and denouement is very well handled. There's no doubt that it flags in the middle and feels a bit clunky, but overall it's a good effort with some nice Lee touches throughout.

The person I saw it with hadn't seen the original and thought it was very good, which I think justifies remaking it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Can't understand it being panned tbh. It's not a patch on the original, but in a vacuum it's above average fare. First half hour and denouement is very well handled. There's no doubt that it flags in the middle and feels a bit clunky, but overall it's a good effort with some nice Lee touches throughout.

The person I saw it with hadn't seen the original and thought it was very good, which I think justifies remaking it.

Thematically, how do you think the ending works in relation to the rest of the film? One of the many things I appreciated about the original is the way in which it takes a taboo subject, makes it intensely personal for the protagonists, and then presents them with awful choices to make. I can't see the changes made to the ending being anywhere close as effective as the original.

Can't understand it being panned tbh. It's not a patch on the original, but in a vacuum it's above average fare. First half hour and denouement is very well handled. There's no doubt that it flags in the middle and feels a bit clunky, but overall it's a good effort with some nice Lee touches throughout. I struggle to think of a worse movie villain that I've seen.

I'd agree with you up until to first half-hour but after Elizabeth Olson and Samuel L Jackson come into it the film really sags and the denouement is so poorly handled imo. It'd be laughable if it weren't so repellent, the whole situation is just ridiculous. Sharlto Copley is so bad in it too.

Park's kinetic filmmaking and operatic/surrealist touches made the violence and twists in the original artful and provocative, in Lee's world it's just ugly and leaden. Brolin just about saves it from being bottom of the year material for me.

Thematically, how do you think the ending works in relation to the rest of the film? One of the many things I appreciated about the original is the way in which it takes a taboo subject, makes it intensely personal for the protagonists, and then presents them with awful choices to make. I can't see the changes made to the ending being anywhere close as effective as the original.

It's not as cohesive, but it is important to take into consideration the fact that Lee's cut was 140mins and he removed the 'Spike Lee Joint' titling because he was unhappy at the final 105mins cut so who knows?
    I'd agree with you up until to first half-hour but after Elizabeth Olson and Samuel L Jackson come into it the film really sags and the denouement is so poorly handled imo. It'd be laughable if it weren't so repellent, the whole situation is just ridiculous. Sharlto Copley is so bad in it too.

Park's kinetic filmmaking and operatic/surrealist touches made the violence and twists in the original artful and provocative, in Lee's world it's just ugly and leaden. Brolin just about saves it from being bottom of the year material for me.

In both cases I also think that, while you may be right in the relative ratings you are assigning, if this film was an original we'd be much kinder to it. It doesn't hang together perfectly but it's a strong enough effort in its own right. I tried to enjoy it for what it was.

Brolin is very good in it mind, and I didn't think Copley was as bad as you're making out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

Just thought I would let people know the original is on film 4 tonight at 1.30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Overall i enjoyed it, I thought the original kicked it's ass right up to the end, but I quite enjoyed the villian in the US version. The violence let the film down. As mentioned here earlier, Parks violent scenes had a touch of class and art about them, whereas Spike's was akin to Final destination 2,3,4,5.....Would love to hear the views of people who haven't seen the original!

If this had been a good remake (like Carpenter's Thing, or The Departed) I would quite happily have watched it and praised it if I felt it was worth it. I don't object to all remakes, I object mostly to the ones which aim to take a story well told in a foreign film and retell it in a dumbed-down way with white English-speaking cast members.

However, as details of the remake trickled out at the nature of the project became apparent, any notion I might have had about watching it evaporated like so much morning fog.

I'm not sure:
    a) why you think this is snobbery, or
    b) why it's "stifling".

If you've seen the film and enjoyed it (either on its own rights or in relation to the original) I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on it, or what you enjoyed about it. I'm not saying I'd agree with you or that it would change my mind of the film, but we're all here to share opinions on films, right?
    some people just don't like subtitles and they never will and they will switch off a movie as soon as they see them...that's why movies are remade...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

some people just don't like subtitles and they never will and they will switch off a movie as soon as they see them...that's why movies are remade...

That post makes me sad

That post makes me sad

It's the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

It's the truth

Testify!

"I don't like subtitles" is every bit as narrow-minded as outright rejecting black and white movies or anything made before ten years ago. It should stop being an acceptable excuse not to watch something, it's also based on the fallacy that every film must be overloaded with dialogue.

"I don't like subtitles" is every bit as narrow-minded as outright rejecting black and white movies or anything made before ten years ago. It should stop being an acceptable excuse not to watch something, it's also based on the fallacy that every film must be overloaded with dialogue.
    I wouldn't hold that view, i've encountered it enough times in my life to have accepted it...it started years ago when i recommended battle royale to a mate, and i asked him what he thought..."came back from xtravision, watched the trailers, movie started ....mrs said "subtitles....i'm not watching it""
    end of battle royale!

That does not make any sense to me at all, I'm actually going to start taking exception to anyone who says it to me IRL. It's such an arbitrary reason for avoiding a movie, I'd at least understand if it was in the wrong aspect ratio or was dubbed or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It's ridiculous, but unfortunately true. I know a guy who does this. Crazy.

Advertisement