Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronan Mullen running for Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I'm obliged m'lod.

Ah but it isn't an election poster - it is an information poster about a seminar that happened last week.

Edit 2:The poster by the other senator I mentioned - I will try to take a picture of Senator Mullen's poster tomorrow.

Edit 1: Image removed because of size -I took this on my way home this evening.

And the Ronan Mullen one?

I didn't spot one on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

They're up in Ballinasloe and Portumna anyways, evil little bigot comes across as punchable even when hes trying to look genuine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

freyners wrote: »
    They're up in Ballinasloe and Portumna anyways, evil little bigot comes across as punchable even when hes trying to look genuine

Try to remember theres a steel lamppost behind it when ye've a few jars in ye.

They're a very useful building material. I use polycarbonate sheets for many building and farming jobs, such as henhouses; they're as versatile as plywood sheets and don't rot. It it difficult to paint over the face but the hens don't mind.
    I expect to replenish my supply in the coming months.

Not an election poster.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If it's not an election poster, it's litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

freyners wrote: »

Saw that. Every one of them needs a ladder even to add some details as to his character, never mind take them down. Am thinking paint-gun would do the trick :D

• Advertisement

Not an election poster.

Oh, excellent! Just spotted your useful information. Scratch last post, will try and get round to packing the ladder and doing my civic duty towards keeping a local town litter free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Better again! Will immediately contact Galway County Council - I suppose they'd be responsible for sorting it? Off to investigate.....

Edit: Waiting on a call back from the community litter warden. Apparently, they took down a number of those signs already. Forgot to ask was he fined over them, will ask the warden. Unfortunately, this may cover his arse if he has permission got:

Posters and signs
    The law forbids the putting up of posters/signs on poles or other structures in public places unless you have the written permission of the owner of the pole or other structure in advance of putting up the posters/signs and requires that an article or advertisement must carry the name and address of the person:

Who is promoting or arranging the meeting or event being advertised, or In any other case, on whose behalf the article or advertisement is being exhibited.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0012/print.html#sec2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Once again, he'll always be the man who told couples who travelled to terminate fatal foetal abnormalities that they had a wider agenda.

How interesting. I must be sure and mention that to the warden when I ask about the vile toad's permissions to poster.

Pity I didn't think of it on saturday when I spotted them, or sunday. Can't remember. They're probably all down now, it being long after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

He has seven days to take down either information or election posters before he's liable for a fine.

He has seven days to take down either information or election posters before he's liable for a fine.

Unless he hadn't permission got in the first place, in which case he's liable even within those limits.

Obliq wrote: »
    Unless he hadn't permission got in the first place, in which case he's liable even within those limits.

Exactly. Even better. If I lived in that constituency I'd be best mates with the litter warden by May from all the calls I'd be making.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Even better. If I lived in that constituency I'd be best mates with the litter warden by May from all the calls I'd be making.

I'll do my best, but essentially if they don't want to bother fining him, they won't. Left a super polite message based on being a good bit disgusted with all the illegal election style posters advertising a public meeting for Ronan Mullen. Suggested they were worth 150 per poster to the local council.
    I would be 100% certain he did not ask the ESB or Eircom for permission.

The ESB and Eircom waste thousands in man hours removing these unauthorised posters from their property.

There seems to be an unwillingness to do anything about politicians who break the law in this manner.

That could be the biggest sticking point here alright. Nobody wants to be the one going after a politician who could be in local govt. next year and could make their job difficult.

Ps. Slightly unfortunate that I'm a teensy bit outside the constituency. Winging it here ;-)

Looks like I forgot about there only being three constituencies now. Senator Mullen is running in my home constituency where I'm registered to vote. Going to be visiting home more often to play spot-the-illegal-poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Obliq wrote: »
    I'll do my best, but essentially if they don't want to bother fining him, they won't. Left a super polite message based on being a good bit disgusted with all the illegal election style posters advertising a public meeting for Ronan Mullen. Suggested they were worth 150 per poster to the local council.

Ronan Mullen is not the only politician in the Midlands/North-West area that has such posters up at the moment advertising public meetings, as has been mentioned already in this thread. Will you be complaining about those posters too? If not then I think this is extremely petty.

If you disagree with his stance on certain issues debate with him or his campaigners and don't vote for him. Calling up the council and trying to him fined , when other politicians have done the same thing, just because you don't agree with him doesn't seem to me like the adult way of showing your disagreement of his views.

My imagination is still working great then ;) Yeah, I don't expect a call back from this fella today, it being close to 5.00. I won't be at him too much but I was planning on sympathising about how difficult they are to fine. Might just mention that Mr. Mullen hasn't a prayer in his own private hell of getting in again anyway....

Ronan Mullen is not the only politician in the Midlands/North-West area that has such posters up at the moment advertising public meetings, as has been mentioned already in this thread. Will you be complaining about those posters too? If not then I think this is extremely petty.

If you disagree with his stance on certain issues debate with him or his campaigners and don't vote for him. Calling up the council and trying to him fined , when other politicians have done the same thing, just because you don't agree with him doesn't seem to me like the adult way of showing your disagreement of his views.

Yes, actually. I will. That Lorraine Higgins labour wan very stupidly put a massive poster up on some railings too. However, Ronan had about 10 or 12 of them. As it happens, any politician is fair game for these tactics if they don't stick by the rules of poster/littering. It's not petty, it's WAR. :D

Got my call back. A lovely man altogether, we had a great chat. Unfortunately, they do play softly softly with any political advertising and it all comes down to "use of discretion" as to whether a politician gets a rough road and a fine or not. Their first move is to ask nicely to remove the signs within a few days and depending on the reaction, they'll think about which way to move next. If they're taken down, then they leave it.

He knew the elections weren't till May, and agreed that election style posters were very unattractive. However, if they were on lamp-posts (most of them, I'd say) then that's council property and they don't give permissions one way or another, but will remove them at their discretion. The extremely nice man will be checking out Portumna in the next few days :D So got nowhere very much, but will be sure and call him back if they're still up next week. They HAVE fined politicians before, but he couldn't tell me if they ever actually received the money.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

No matter the message I'd personally ring up and complain any politician who did something illegal. They're not above the law, any of them, no matter how much they think they are.

But there is something especially odious about the likes of that stunted (both mentally and phisically) little muppet. If I were in charge, he'd have a special exception written into my freedom of speech law.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You assume far too much here,

Regardless of what party or non party a person is part of, if they break the law i will report them.

Hell, in the past I've reported my local insurance broker who I have insurance through for littering because they stuck up 8 illegal road side signs around where I live.

Littering regardless of who you are is wrong,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Cabaal wrote: »
    You assume far too much here,

Regardless of what party or non party a person is part of, if they break the law i will report them.

Hell, in the past I've reported my local insurance broker who I have insurance through for littering because they stuck up 8 illegal road side signs around where I live.

Littering regardless of who you are is wrong,

Yes, actually from reading the thread I got the impression that Ronan Mullen was going to be the only person reported, which I didn't think was entirely fair seeing as others have posters up around aswell. I see now though that I got the wrong impression and that people are talking about reporting all the politicians involved.

Advertisement