Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone App devemopment

Options
  • 13-03-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey,

Guys I was thinking of designing and app for my phone nothing special just want to try something with GPS tracking. I have some experience in Java, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript. I just need a starting point. As in development software, Books, Technology's.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

skulltown wrote: »
    Hey,

Guys I was thinking of designing and app for my phone nothing special just want to try something with GPS tracking. I have some experience in Java, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript. I just need a starting point. As in development software, Books, Technology's.

Thanks

There are countless tutorials online. Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Don't know Android but I believe its Java there. IOS you need objective c and the SDK and libraries (Xcode) to get at such system functions.

I bought the Apple developer subscription for a year and its pretty awesome as a developer resource and actually not that expensive, a little over €100. It gives you access to the tools, specs, documentation, tutorials, examples.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Boskowski wrote: »
    Don't know Android but I believe its Java there.
    It is.
    I bought the Apple developer subscription for a year and its pretty awesome as a developer resource and actually not that expensive, a little over €100. It gives you access to the tools, specs, documentation, tutorials, examples.
    Wow. Access to the tools, specs, documentation, tutorials and examples for Android costs... nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

So what your saying Xcode is for iOS will I need a Mac aswell or can I use the codeX on my windows desktop is it java based

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

skulltown wrote: »
    So what your saying Xcode is for iOS will I need a Mac aswell or can I use the codeX on my windows desktop is it java based

You will need a Mac, xcode is written for Mac OS X.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah you would need a mac, so I'd stay clear and do android tbh. No cost to entry over things you will already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

yeah you would need a mac, so I'd stay clear and do android tbh. No cost to entry over things you will already have.

And even if you don't have an android you can pickup a basic one for nothing.

And even if you don't have an android you can pickup a basic one for nothing.

...and in the meantime, test on the free emulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You should setup VM acceleration if using the default emulator or have a look at genymotion, it's more performant than the default emulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Boskowski wrote: »

Reminds me of this:
    update_for_your_computer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It is. Wow. Access to the tools, specs, documentation, tutorials and examples for Android costs... nothing.

To be fair, the iOS tools and documentation are a lot better than the Android tools and documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You get access to iOS dev tools without paying the fee. The fee is required to debug apps on a physical device and publish them on the AppStore. Don't you need to pay for that on Android too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

jgh_ wrote: »
    To be fair, the iOS tools and documentation are a lot better than the Android tools and documentation.

To be fair, nooooo they aren't :pac: Not running on a pc is the first garbage thing about them.

Well that settles it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You get access to iOS dev tools without paying the fee. The fee is required to debug apps on a physical device and publish them on the AppStore. Don't you need to pay for that on Android too?

I don't publish my apps so I don't know but you don't need to pay to use it on any device

I haven't seen the iOS tools and documentation (I have zero interest in iOS development), but the Android tools work pretty well and are cross-platform, and the documentation is superb.
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nope.

Perhaps he is thinking of the initial $25 fee for the Google Play Developer Console account.

The only reason that is there is to stop people spamming across multiple accounts.

Nope.

To which bit?

To which bit?

It was to both, but I'd forgotten about the one-off $25. Still seems like better value than $99 a year.

So you're saying you don't get access to the ios docs without paying a fee?

• Advertisement

He was talking about using it on a real device as the second one.

Without paying, you can get access to Xcode, current documentation, and run your apps on the simulator.

With the $99 fee you are able to build and run on device, you get access to betas and beta documentation, you get access to developer forums, you get access to technical support tickets, and you are able to submit to the app store.

Ultimately the price is a bit of a deterrent, but it's not really that much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

This of course isnt counting in the 1500 or so for a good MacBook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The_B_Man wrote: »
    This of course isnt counting in the 1500 or so for a good MacBook.
    This is the deterrent for me. I've no intention of switching to Mac as I need a PC running windows for much of my work (and play for that matter) and shelling out that amount of money simply for iOS development is just ridiculous.

Now, I could turn around and hack some sort of dual boot Windows/iOS setup, but other than the hassle of this, I start running into problems if I want to have the option to boot up into Linux as well. Way, way too much hassle, just to code in something that's losing market share, TBH.

Macbooks (at least in my opinion) are totally worth the money, even if you remove OS X and install Windows or Linux on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

This is the deterrent for me. I've no intention of switching to Mac as I need a PC running windows for much of my work (and play for that matter) and shelling out that amount of money simply for iOS development is just ridiculous.

Now, I could turn around and hack some sort of dual boot Windows/iOS setup, but other than the hassle of this, I start running into problems if I want to have the option to boot up into Linux as well. Way, way too much hassle, just to code in something that's losing market share, TBH.

I have a 2009 MacBook bought 2nd hand from the MacStore in 2010 for 900 inc VAT. Still runs fine and I use it for iOS development. I have never had a Windows laptop last a fraction of the time. So, they may be expensive but they do last.

Over the years I have used that one machine for Iphone, Android, Blackberry (Aaargh), LAMP, Java, Spring, Hibernate, development. No other single machine could have done it all so it was good value for money for me.

MacOS is BSD UNIX under the hood so most linux software is avaible for it.
    One notable exception is Bank Of Ireland Online banking which still needs IE5 or something. eek.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Macbooks (at least in my opinion) are totally worth the money, even if you remove OS X and install Windows or Linux on them.
    I have a 2009 MacBook bought 2nd hand from the MacStore in 2010 for 900 inc VAT. Still runs fine and I use it for iOS development. I have never had a Windows laptop last a fraction of the time. So, they may be expensive but they do last.
    And I have an Acer laptop from 2009 which still runs fine. So what?

As I said, I'm not interested in converting to iOS, nor am I interested in buying a laptop simply to code for one particular platform, especially as much of what I have to code runs specifically on Windows, so I couldn't fully migrate if I wanted to. Simply doesn't make sense for me to do so on balance, no matter how much people eulogise how they want to have their Mac's children.

So while I appreciate, and expected, the usual Apple evangelizing, none of it really addresses my objections and thus is of no value to me whatsoever.

Seriously, even suggesting you're happy without a Mac is like telling a born-again Christian that God doesn't exist...

Ah, the righteous indignation that follows someone's defense of Apple products. It's just at bad as Apple evangelism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I know a very experienced and talented developer who developed an identical app for android and iPhone. He had the android one finished in 2 weeks (it was a fairly basic app) and the iPhone version took him 3 months. Granted he went the free route to develop it as he didn't have a Mac but this is a massive barrier for entry and will kill iOS apps if something is not done soon. Apple don't have graphic designers and media people to fall back on to develop their mobile apps !

Even Microsoft are preparing a version of office to run on iOS and Android FFS !!!!

• Advertisement

Simple fact is that I wouldn't buy a certain expensive product to code on one platform, if there was a 1500E android laptop to buy I wouldn't buy that either. These laptops have the same hardware in them, my dell vostro laptop is from 2006, what do I win? Unless their shiny cases are doing something I don't know about it's stupid to spend a grand more on one - especially if the OS apparently doesn't matter, let alone buying into a platform so closed.

Advertisement