Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading restaurant menu description

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    a) You should have known not to expect much when you are buying processed, reformed deep fried chicken in a pub.

But that's one of the points of this thread - the OP didn't think they'd be getting 'processed, reformed deep fried chicken'. They were expecting something else. Did you not read the original posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

SteM wrote: »
    But that's one of the points of this thread - the OP didn't think they'd be getting 'processed, reformed deep fried chicken'. They were expecting something else. Did you not read the original posting?

But sure that's what goujons are!

Unless you went to some top quality restaurant of course, in which case they probably wouldn't be on the menu. :pac:

A pub of all places, I mean ffs...the OP is very misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am only going to chime in and say I didn't necessarily think a Goujon was different to a nugget or dipper in tems of meat content unless stated.

The main difference that springs to mind is a nugget would be usually in batter whilst a goujon would be breadcrumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Why is it that in every restaurant you go to go the childrens menu is utter sh1t? Sausages, pizza, gougons/nuggets.

Parents, do yourself a favour. Bring your own food or order from the regular menu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I always considered goujons to specifically be the tenderloin in breadcrumbs.

In saying that, this whole topic appears to be pretty pointless. If you care about what your kids eat, don't bring them to a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Why is it that in every restaurant you go to go the childrens menu is utter sh1t? Sausages, pizza, gougons/nuggets.

Parents, do yourself a favour. Bring your own food or order from the regular menu.

bring your own food to a restaurant ??? whats the point in going then..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Don't feed your kids pub food. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Can't remember ever getting real chicken piece in chicken goujons.

But sure that's what goujons are!

Unless you went to some top quality restaurant of course, in which case they probably wouldn't be on the menu. :pac:

A pub of all places, I mean ffs...the OP is very misguided.

No they're not 'processed, reformed deep fried chicken' as you put it. They're not supposed to be reformed a far as i'm concerned.

I was doing the weekly shopping yesterday and out of interest took a look in the freezer cabinets of two large shops and the local butchers. The only things called goujons do not say on the packaging they are reformed/processed cuts of chicken. Things that are called dippers/nuggets etc do seem to be processed chicken parts. Was taking to the butcher about the ones he sold and he said they were 100% chicken breast although they were more expensive than the shop one.

You can argue til the cows come home about whether kids should be eating pub food or not but if I saw chicken goujons on a menu and ordered them I'd. expect whole pieces of chicken, breaded, seasoned and fried. If anything else came out I'd send it back.

chin nuts wrote: »
    bring your own food to a restaurant ??? whats the point in going then..

They're talking about bringing kids food with them obviously. The adults would still order from the menu. Have done that myself recently because I'm sick of just seeing sausage & chips on the kids menus.

• Advertisement

No they're not 'processed, reformed deep fried chicken' as you put it. They're not supposed to be reformed a far as i'm concerned.

I was doing the weekly shopping yesterday and out of interest took a look in the freezer cabinets of two large shops and the local butchers. The only things called goujons do not say on the packaging they are reformed/processed cuts of chicken. Things that are called dippers/nuggets etc do seem to be processed chicken parts. Was taking to the butcher about the ones he sold and he said they were 100% chicken breast although they were more expensive than the shop one.

You can argue til the cows come home about whether kids should be eating pub food or not but if I saw chicken goujons on a menu and ordered them I'd. expect whole pieces of chicken, breaded, seasoned and fried. If anything else came out I'd send it back.

I guarantee you the vast majority of goujons are reformed, even if they say "100% guaranteed Irish chicken breast" no more than Supermacs etc. say in their burgers.

As you said yourself, you'd send it back. Which is what should have been done. Not make your kid eat it, pay for it and then go to the internet to vent your anger.

Perhaps if the bar knew of such feedback they might review their menu. If they don't know customers are not happy, they can't improve upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Just to make people aware, goujons is in no way a protected term and I can basically put anything onto a plate and call it a goujon wether anyone likes it or not.

The best solution to the issue the op has is just ask the server when ordering. If that was done and you then received the processed meat there would be grounds for a serious complaint to management.

Someone commented on why pubs only have nuggets and sausages on the children's menu and the sole reason is if they are taken off the menu they are still what is ordered 70-80% of the time. We have about 90% of our main menus available as a half portion or child's portion and still it is either sausage chips, nuggets chips, or egg chips. We also give beans with each of those but most people order them without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In saying that, this whole topic appears to be pretty pointless. If you care about what your kids eat, don't bring them to a pub.

Plenty of pubs do fine food for both adults and kids alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

By definition goujons are thin strips of meat fried. They are NOT reconstituted. OP, you were misled and effectively served something other than you ordered.

mitosis wrote: »
    By definition goujons are thin strips of meat fried. They are NOT reconstituted. OP, you were misled and effectively served something other than you ordered.

There is nothing to say that the strip cannot be formed from reconstituted chicken.

What part of a chicken do "strips" come from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

According to whose definition? Is there a legal definition of what a goujon is? Is it a protected item like Parma ham or Champagne that has strict guidelines on origin and production?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

D3PO wrote: »
    I think the argument over what a goujon should or shouldnt be detracts from the main point of this thread and that is based on getting something form the kitchen eating despite not being happy with it and then wondering what recourse you should have after the fact.
    Prevention is better than cure. I would think the main thing to have learned from this thread is that marketing people & retailers can use loose terminology on items and so you should be aware of this and question it. You should hopefully not get to a stage where you have to complain.

Many were ignorant of the fact that goujons are often made from reformed meat. The worrying thing is some of them are going on like they will stubbornly refuse to accept that they were ignorant, and might go on feigning ignorance about it.

Your "fresh cod" in a chipper is usually from frozen fish, the "smoked cod" is more likely not to be cod at all. The "chicken fillet" in your <€3.50 chicken baguette is very likely to be reformed chicken.

I am guessing many here have had processed goujons and might just not have copped it.
    I was doing the weekly shopping yesterday and out of interest took a look in the freezer cabinets of two large shops and the local butchers. The only things called goujons do not say on the packaging they are reformed/processed cuts of chicken.
    What supermarket? tesco had 8 types of "goujon" and all of them appeared to be from reformed meat.

According to whose definition? Is there a legal definition of what a goujon is? Is it a protected item like Parma ham or Champagne that has strict guidelines on origin and production?

It is a cut of meat. Is there a legal definition for what a "chop" is? I doubt it.

Oxford "Strip of meat"

Freedictionary "Strip of fish or chicken"

Recipe

It is a cut of meat. Is there a legal definition for what a "chop" is? I doubt it.

Oxford "Strip of meat"

Recipe

You are quite simply deluded if you think goujons are pure chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You are quite simply deluded if you think goujons are pure chicken.

If you buy the right ones they can be, same as way you can get chicken nuggets made out of breast. Like what already has been said, you just have to check either when buying them yourself, or when ordering them when eating out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Oxford "Strip of meat"

Recipe

In this case, strip means a long piece, not a particular cut of meat.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you buy the right ones they can be, same as way you can get chicken nuggets made out of breast.
    That user already said some restaurants would have ones made from unprocessed meat. I don't think there is a single poster here saying all goujons are ALWAYS processed, but some are seemingly still clinging to this idea that they are all unprocessed, even though people are saying otherwise, and there are loads of products called goujons which specifically state they are processed, it is certainly no secret, yet some still have their head in the sand. If people think we are all lying for some reason just look in your supermarket the next time.
    Is there a legal definition for what a "chop" is? I doubt it.
    If this thread was about a lamb or pork chop being ordered and a minced meat product came out I doubt there would be a single person saying the equivalent of what was said about the goujon. If I look up tescos site there are about 16 items called chops, all appear to be unprocessed cuts. All 8 items on tesco called goujon appear to be from reformed chicken.

rubadub wrote: »
    That user already said some restaurants would have ones made from unprocessed meat. I don't think there is a single poster here saying all goujons are ALWAYS processed, but some are seemingly still clinging to this idea that they are all unprocessed, even though people are saying otherwise, and there are loads of products called goujons which specifically state they are processed, it is certainly no secret, yet some still have their head in the sand. If people think we are all lying for some reason just look in your supermarket the next time.

If this thread was about a lamb or pork chop being ordered and a minced meat product came out I doubt there would be a single person saying the equivalent of what was said about the goujon. If I look up tescos site there are about 16 items called chops, all appear to be unprocessed cuts. All 8 items on tesco called goujon appear to be from reformed chicken.

When Tesco are the definers of what is correct we are all shagged. Did they not have horse labelled as beef in their stores? Using Tesco as your prima facie is a dodgy road.

In this case, strip means a long piece, not a particular cut of meat.

"In this case"?

Seriously? Are you redefining the word "strip" now? A long piece - not a moulded mush.

"In this case"?

Seriously? Are you redefining the word "strip" now? A long piece - not a moulded mush.

There is no definition that states a goujon has to be made from unprocessed chicken. They don't have to, hence they are not.

You seem to think a "strip" must be from pure, un-processed chicken. You are wrong.

When Tesco are the definers of what is correct we are all shagged. Did they not have horse labelled as beef in their stores? Using Tesco as your prima facie is a dodgy road.
    wow, just wow, brilliant comment, my mind is changed, now I am going to go off expecting ALL goujons to be unprocessed meat :rolleyes:

I expect many pubs also served horsemeat at the time, and probably some expensive restaurants.

The ones in tesco include moy park and big als and other brands. I could have picked other supermarkets if they showed products online, but sure why not get a good old tesco-bashing session in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

When Tesco are the definers....
    Yeah look whatever. You are totally right. Keep ordering nuggets/gougons/whatever and hopefully the delight you feel about being right (while everyone is wrong), will somehow balance the bitter disappointment you feel when you get processed chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This is one of the silliest consumer issues in a while.

A) you're concerned about what the child eats but think that hotel bar food meets your high requirements.
    B) you ordered chicken goujons of said bar menu still concerned about quality but yet not bothered double checking.
    C) you found out its cheap and processed (surprise) and are wondering is there a consumer issue to follow up on as the wording on the menu was misleading

Seriously?

I dare say no matter where you go it's safe to assume you will get processed rubbish on those types of foods unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Everyone with a bit if common sense knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I still haven't seen OP explain why he simply didn't say all this to the bar manager at the time.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    wow, just wow, brilliant comment, my mind is changed, now I am going to go off expecting ALL goujons to be unprocessed meat :rolleyes:

I expect many pubs also served horsemeat at the time, and probably some expensive restaurants.

The ones in tesco include moy park and big als and other brands. I could have picked other supermarkets if they showed products online, but sure why not get a good old tesco-bashing session in.

There's no need to get snippy, it's not that important a discussion. I have demonstrated definitions that show a goujon to be what I attest it should be. I have seen no definition that says it may be reconstituted produce. You don't have to accept my say so - you have no idea that I am qualified to, but if you think I am incorrect it would serve better to illustrate this than to resort to the likes of the above.

rubadub, while I have quoted your post, I do not intend my comment specifically to you. There are a couple of others to whom the remarks equally apply. :)

Advertisement