Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony XPERIA Z2

Options
  • 24-02-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Today Sony announced a refresh of their top tier line. The Xperia Z2.
    Externally it seems identical to the Z1 however they've given it a spec bump (processor, battery, and RAM) as well as finally resolving the less than stellar quality screen.

Other things of note, it now shoots 4K video (though what are you going to view it on), and 120FPS slow motion shot at 720p. There's a few more camera modes added.

Honestly, I'm really liking this. I had a look at the original Z when I was choosing between the that, the S4, and the HTC One. The S4 won out in the end, but I'm really liking the Z2. Of course we'll have to wait to see what Samsung say today.

My contract is up in April, so reviews should be out and release bugs sorted before I have to make up my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I like the look of this, although I would be quite miffed if I had bought a Z1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Sony's design is pretty much only paralled by HTC when it comes to Android phones. Will be interesting to see what Samsung announce later! The Z2 will likely be my next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Sony's design is pretty much only paralled by HTC when it comes to Android phones. Will be interesting to see what Samsung announce later! The Z2 will likely be my next.

I'm heavily considering it. They haven't done much more than basic skinning, which I like. I've been running an ASOP ROM on the S4 for a number of months and much prefer it. The only thing lacking is the camera controls.

Samsung really have to pull it out of the bag tonight as their competitors have been quickly catching up. They have real competition this year with the Z2 the G2 Pro, the M8 (One 2), as well as numerous Chinese brands releasing decent spec phones.

The phone looks phenomenal and I hope it stands up in reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When are we likely to hear what networks will be carrying it? My Vodafone contract is up in 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Video @ 1.14 - Bitch stole my Z2! COME BACK!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have Sony copped on yet with their software? Lovely hardware (although the phones are not as comfortable in the hand as LG or HTC)
    Having had various Sony phones sporting various versions of Android I am very cautious about buying any Sony phone.
    Poor software has made my view of Sony very tainted

It's running 4.4.2, which will be the latest at time of release. It looks like they have made minimal changes, unlike Samsung. After watching the Unpacked Event, I'm still leaning towards the Sony for this year. I think it may come down to the camera quality on both.

First impressions state that the phone has rounded sides, meaning it should fit better in the hand then the likes of the iPhone 5S. It's too bad HTC are going to take a month before they release details on the next One.

Rounded edges would be nice. Camera looks great but to be honest they are pumping out so many phones at the moment I don't think Sony know where their main market is. They seem to drop support for phones pretty quickly and for those reasons I would stear clear and wait for the HTC or next Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Have Sony copped on yet with their software? Lovely hardware (although the phones are not as comfortable in the hand as LG or HTC)
    Having had various Sony phones sporting various versions of Android I am very cautious about buying any Sony phone.
    Poor software has made my view of Sony very tainted
    Using z1 and have to say that their version of Android is grand. Near vanilla experience albeit with a couple of tweaks in terms of camera controls and mini apps

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/02/24/xperia-z2-promo-videos-galore/

There's loads of Promo Videos here. I'm more impressed with this Z2 than I am the S5. Looks like a serious contender, hopefully the reviews show the camera being up to spec.

• Advertisement

swampy353 wrote: »
    Using z1 and have to say that their version of Android is grand. Near vanilla experience albeit with a couple of tweaks in terms of camera controls and mini apps

Thought that too with the use of phones like S, U, E, Tipo and although it is an almost vanilla experience it was still a bit buggy and prone to random fits of madness.
    Stock Android or even HTC version is way better IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭brevity

I wonder could I sell my iPhone 5 and pick this up. Tempted to switch back to Android and I'm a fan of Sony devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Am I right in saying that the screen on the z1 is better and that camera and processor are the same?

Still looks like a better bet than the s5 but il probably end up waiting for the LG G3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Am I right in saying that the screen on the z1 is better and that camera and processor are the same?

Still looks like a better bet than the s5 but il probably end up waiting for the LG G3.

Better screen on the Z2 by all accounts. Slightly better processor and camera can now record in 4K, also supposed to have other enhancements like image better stabilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I can see the 120FPS video recording being a big hit. I'm not aware of any other phone that offers the feature and it could be lots of fun for amateur slow mo videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I can see the 120FPS video recording being a big hit. I'm not aware of any other phone that offers the feature and it could be lots of fun for amateur slow mo videos.
    I had that on my LG Viewty about 7 years ago. Was great fun to play with! (Lower resolution then obviously)

I had that on my LG Viewty about 7 years ago. Was great fun to play with! (Lower resolution then obviously)

Likewise, but the battery was a pain in the hole. Incidentally Vodafone have opened a preorder interest page for the Samsung GS5 but as yet not for the X2. Really hope I can get the Sony on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

flazio wrote: »
    Likewise, but the battery was a pain in the hole.
    I actually dont remember what the battery was like on it :o

Screen is .02 inches larger, and has finally fixed the viewing angles issue that plagued the Z and Z1.

Processor is an incremental upgrade, RAM has been increased by 50% (2GB - 3GB), and although the camera seems to be the same module it's got new firmware. If I had recently purchased a Z1 I wouldn't be ugprading, but for those looking to move from an S4 or HTC One this is a serious contender.

Hopefully the G3 and M8 will be announced before the end of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What a smartphone...

Audio with noise cancellation and nice headphones.
    The features for photo with background and effects.
    Video with time shifting and 4k...woahh what a winner we have here !

Can I make a phone call as well ?! :)
    Definitively mine when is out. Unfortunately, we may have to wait few months until our networks will have it on the shelf...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Colleague has the Z, even though i hate glass sandwich phones, I'm always impressed with the construction of it. Speakers are piss poor though, it's one of the greatest features of the One and I'd loathe to go back to another (looking at you One X) with sub par sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

So far this is the one I'll be going for but will wait to see what HTC come up with in the coming months.

I do love my One but hopefully will get a good price for it when it comes to upgrading time.

First review I've found. Though it's really more of a hands on/first impressions. It looks good though, with no major drawbacks.

Just received an email from SONY related to Z2:

296278.jpg

296279.jpg

The emailed link doesn't look personal or customised, is here, in case anyone wants to pre-register .
    Have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

swampy353 wrote: »

Earlier ones were really bad though. I had an X10 xperia in 2011 and it was near unusable for someone with limited technological patience. Have a Z now, it's grand, not flawless, but the rapid rate of replacement is very offputting.

I also value the water resistance and toughness. A car rolled over mine on a tarmac road at 30kmh and came out with only minor scratches. Only a light skin cover on it.

Vodafone have posted a pre register of interest for this phone, plus a nice incentive competition.
    http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/sony-xperia-z2

Sorry to be double posting but thought this may be of interest.
    Firstly Vodafone's Facebook is claiming that the Z2 is going to be exclusive to their network, secondly I found this fairly long hands on video which gives a great indication as to what the phone will be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

flazio wrote: »
    Firstly Vodafone's Facebook is claiming that the Z2 is going to be exclusive to their network

That's disappointing... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

02 Ireland says to me there getting this phone. Also I just want to tell Amazon.co.uk are selling this phone for £585.99 sim free ; amazon.de have it for €599. Both pre-order. Saying coming out on April 10

Advertisement