Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending money

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I see the Canada/US forum is closed so I'm posting this in both because I'm going to both don't hate me...

I'm going over to Canada for one week and New York for one week in May and I was wondering what was the easiest/cheapest/safest mode of spending money while you're over there.

I'm a student but I don't know if I'm eligible for any freebies abroad...

Money card? Credit? Visa? Cash?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Credit Card is best, followed by Debit Card with a Visa or Mastercard logo on it.

Thats it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Credit card, and check with your cc company to see whether they charge a fee for foreign currency conversions. Some do and some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

I've had no trouble with credit or debit cards over in NY. Make sure and let the bank know before you go as they might put a stop on your card (due to it being used in another country.... they'll want to make sure its you that is using it!)

Also bring some cash, are you driving? If so you'll need cash for tolls. Also its handy to cave some if you are going for drinks or tipping in and out of shops for bits and pieces.

Advertisement