Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 200MB? Anyone actually have anything close?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi folks.

So we have the 200MB up connection, or so we were supposed to.
    When I do some tests ( direct cable to mocem) I am getting
    32MS 21.24 Mbps up and 4.39 down. This is with an independent speed test

When I use the UPC test the results are 7ms 49.63 Mbps and 9.03 mbps.

I am very confused by this and do not think I should be paying for 200 while I get 20, or even 40 as they claim on their speed test.

I realize nobody ever makes 200. but half the speed should be realistic no?
    same result applies on cat6 or cat 7 cable.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, most people do get close to the full 200mb/s on UPC, so it seems there is some issue with your line.

First of all make sure you are doing speed tests by directly connecting to the modem by ethernet and that you are connected at gigabit ethernet speed as opposed to just 100mb/s ethernet.

Wireless is useless for getting maximum speeds.

If you continue to see slow speeds, then contact UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What kind of ethernet cable do you have? Is it CAT 6 or CAT5e? If not it won't be able to support those speeds.
    [edit] Okay I reread your post, you are using the correct kind of cable.

Also, your network card, it must be 1Gb.

I am currently on 150 and actually get a few Mb more than that.

[edit] Also ensure that you have the wireless connection disabled and that you are really connected via ethernet. UPCs speed test is the most accurate. Obviously the location of the third party server on speedtest.net is going to impact ping and throughput results. I notice that choosing a server in england will usually get you better results. Namesco in London for instance. The servers in Ireland don't seem to be able to support the kind of speeds UPC is offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

I have connected my desktop with a cable from modem to computer 'i am paying for 50mbs .When doing a speed test with u p c it shows 51mbs when i take the test with any other site the max they are telling me is 23mbs 'am i to assume everyone else is wrong and u p c are right 'what a con .This company have no scruples 'as i stated before there rep told me when he called that i would not be able to get freesat as soon as 4G came in...is there nothing they wont do to get money out of customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

tony melia wrote: »
    I have connected my desktop with a cable from modem to computer 'i am paying for 50mbs .When doing a speed test with u p c it shows 51mbs when i take the test with any other site the max they are telling me is 23mbs 'am i to assume everyone else is wrong and u p c are right 'what a con .This company have no scruples 'as i stated before there rep told me when he called that i would not be able to get freesat as soon as 4G came in...is there nothing they wont do to get money out of customers

Please tell me what you cannot do online with 23mbit? What are you struggling with? What requires you to need more than 23mbit?

You do realise you are not paying for 50mbit. broadband is a shared resource, you are paying for up to 50mbit at a certain contention ratio (the ISPs promise of how slow it might get during busy times)

Firstly, the UPC result is the most accurate. That is the ping (latency) and throughput from your computer to the first hop, your ISP's server.

If you connect to a website or server it will take multiple hops, one of those could be the bottleneck.

If you use speedtest.net then it will pick a server which is geographically close. The servers in Ireland are really useless and cannot support UPCs speeds. 23Mbps is probably all the server can handle.

Click on change server and choose one in London and see if that makes a difference. You can't really blame your ISP for things completely outside of its control.

With UPC it is not best effort, they give you what you pay for and then some. Their customer support is pretty dire though.

• Advertisement

Please tell me what you cannot do online with 23mbit? What are you struggling with? What requires you to need more than 23mbit?

You do realise you are not paying for 50mbit. broadband is a shared resource, you are paying for up to 50mbit at a certain contention ratio (the ISPs promise of how slow it might get during busy times)

I have never seen contention being an issue with UPC. I pay for 150Mb and I get more than that consistently.

I have never seen contention being an issue with UPC. I pay for 150Mb and I get more than that consistently.

That does not mean you are not contended or will never see slowdowns. All residential broadband is contended and they are covered by this. Anyway, once you have a working connection that does all you want what difference does it make

That does not mean you are not contended or will never see slowdowns. All residential broadband is contended and they are covered by this. Anyway, once you have a working connection that does all you want what difference does it make
    Still, best to pay for the speed closest to what you actually get.

Anyway, I don't think contention is the issue here. He is getting 51Mbps which is more than he is paying for. UPC are not duping him.

If there are particular websites he is having issues with perhaps they could help though.

Still, best to pay for the speed closest to what you actually get.

Anyway, I don't think contention is the issue here. He is getting 51Mbps which is more than he is paying for. UPC are not duping him.

If there are particular websites he is having issues with perhaps they could help though.
    As i said every other site no matter who it is it is telling me the max i get is 24mb 'except upc someone is telling lies 'now i am being told every else is wrong and upc 's speed test is right

.What a load of bull s,,it And if i am not getting 50mb what i am paying for then they are in breach of contract .And by the way i am being told i am paying for 50 mbs and nowhere does it say UP TO 50MBS

A bit more competion and this shower of pickpockets are gone

FREESAT FOREVER

As i said every other site no matter who it is it is telling me the max i get is 24mb 'except upc someone is telling lies 'now i am being told every else is wrong and upc 's speed test is right

.What a load of bull s,,it And if i am not getting 50mb what i am paying for then they are in breach of contract .And by the way i am being told i am paying for 50 mbs and nowhere does it say UP TO 50MBS

FREESAT FOREVER
    What website did you use to test your speed? Try the namesco server in London on speedtest.net

• Advertisement

FREESAT FOREVER

A better way to measure speed is to download something from a fast server and look at the speed you're getting after 2-3 minutes.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?distro=desktop&bits=64&release=latest

A better way to measure speed is to download something from a fast server and look at the speed you're getting after 2-3 minutes.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?distro=desktop&bits=64&release=latest
    Also bear in mind that you are only testing the speed of the slowest hop.

What website did you use to test your speed? Try the namesco server in London on speedtest.net
    Just went to that site and done speed test 'it shows ,,Download 30730 kbps..upload 5154 not sure what that is in mbs

1000 kb = 1Mb so it's 30.7 Mb/s. Did you choose a server in England or the default one? You can click on "change server" or similar see if it varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

Hi,

I used a cat 7, and I connected it with my stationary pc directly into the box ( Horizon)
    The speed varies between 48 and 59 ( im not saying its slow or I cant work with this)
    Used over Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller ( I think this is 1gb???)

I put wireless off just to be sure, doesnt really seem to do any diffirence though.

Then I connected with a laptop. HP Folio, its not that great.

With that I made it just up to 40

So I am not sure here if it is UPC or us..

Jessica86 wrote: »
    Hi,

I used a cat 7, and I connected it with my stationary pc directly into the box ( Horizon)
    The speed varies between 48 and 59 ( im not saying its slow or I cant work with this)
    Used over Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller ( I think this is 1gb???)

I put wireless off just to be sure, doesnt really seem to do any diffirence though.

Then I connected with a laptop. HP Folio, its not that great.

With that I made it just up to 40

So I am not sure here if it is UPC or us..
    How did you test the speed? What website did you use? You are only testing the speed from your computer to that server. Try the UPC speedtest first.
    http://speedtest.upc.ie/
    I am paying for 150 down and 10 up and I get this:
    speed.png

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

FREESAT FOREVER

Tony,

The package you buy from UPC, states your maximum connection speed across their network and onto the Internet. Once your connection leaves the UPC managed network and passes onto the public Internet, they have no control over the response times. This is the same for everyone that connects to the Internet, regardless of which supplier (ISP) they use.

This is why you see higher throughput on the UPC speedtest. When using other sites, your results will be affected by the throughput on every server / network between UPC and the server you are targeting.

If you are not getting the correct results using the UPC speedtest, then contact them for support.

Go to terminal / cmd prompt on your PC and type the following command : "traceroute speedtest.upc.ie". This will show you all of the hops between your PC and the UPC speedtest server. For each hop, it will show you the response time.

Compare this to the results of "traceroute www.google.com" or whatever site you are having issues with.

You will then be able to see where the delays are. Again, no ISP can be responsible for response times on the Public Internet.

fiacha wrote: »
    Tony,

The package you buy from UPC, states your maximum connection speed across their network and onto the Internet. Once your connection leaves the UPC managed network and passes onto the public Internet, they have no control over the response times. This is the same for everyone that connects to the Internet, regardless of which supplier (ISP) they use.

This is why you see higher throughput on the UPC speedtest. When using other sites, your results will be affected by the throughput on every server / network between UPC and the server you are targeting.

If you are not getting the correct results using the UPC speedtest, then contact them for support.

Go to terminal / cmd prompt on your PC and type the following command : "traceroute speedtest.upc.ie". This will show you all of the hops between your PC and the UPC speedtest server. For each hop, it will show you the response time.

Compare this to the results of "traceroute www.google.com" or whatever site you are having issues with.

You will then be able to see where the delays are. Again, no ISP can be responsible for response times on the Public Internet.
    You are making the big assumption that he is running linux or OSX. Not going to work on windows...

And I *very* much doubt he is on linux :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well you only need to spell it different on Windows.
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>tracert speedtest.upc.ie

Tracing route to speedtest.upc.ie [89.101.133.140]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2    21 ms    10 ms    28 ms  83.147.171.1
      3    18 ms    22 ms    15 ms  78.137.185.26
      4    15 ms    17 ms    21 ms  78.137.185.26
      5    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  inex2.aorta.net [194.88.240.28]
      6    34 ms    23 ms    16 ms  84.116.134.178
      7    20 ms    22 ms    16 ms  089-101-133140.ntlworld.ie [89.101.133.140]

Trace complete.

C:\WINDOWS>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

(Moved from IrelandOffline to Broadband)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

FREESAT FOREVER

Actually, UPCs speed test is accurate for your speed to the UPC test server. It's not a big conspiracy against you man, relax.

Advertisement