Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance - Statute of limitations?

Options
  • 21-02-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, if not I'd appreciate if the mods could move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyway, I took out a travel insurance policy when I went to Thailand in June 2012. While I was over there I sustained an injury which required me to make a few trips to clinics/hospitals over there. I have all of the relevant paperwork from the hospitals showing dates, injury details, expenses, etc.

Does anyone know what the statute of limitations/time limit is for making a claim on a travel insurance policy? The injury was sustained in August 2012 - is it too late to make a claim now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is no law that fixes a time limit to insurance claims as a particular category. The Statute of Limitations sets a general limit of 6 years on claims, be they insurance or other matters.

Your issue depends on the T&Cs of the particular policy; you need to dig it out and read through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With some insurers they insist on being contacted for pre approval before any medical fees are to be paid. I would imagine a year would be the maximum they would allow, check the policy terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

With some insurers they insist on being contacted for pre approval before any medical fees are to be paid. I would imagine a year would be the maximum they would allow, check the policy terms.

Haven't got a copy of the original policy as I did it over the phone. I do have a policy number though. I contacted them at the time and they just told me to keep copies of all receipts etc. I have the claim forms filled now so I'll send them off and see what they say.

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Most insurances we've taken out said to contact the insurance within 30 days of return to Ireland. Others said I have 6 month from date of incident to claim. It's down to the insurer, so you'll need to know your T&C.
    Of course their conditions can't be more limiting than those you're entitled to by law... so you might also need to check it against that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement