Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Article from the WaterfordWhisperNews:

‘I only check my watch because it looks good’, admits jogger. Jogging in Ireland has become increasingly popular over the past five years, with hundreds of ‘running clubs’ currently in operation across the country. However, many people believe the clubs should be regulated and forced to run in specially designed fields. “They think they own the foothpath” said Terry Cronin, who has been walking since the age of 12 months. “They’re so busy yapping that they don’t see the people diving for cover.” “I don’t know how many times I have tensed my shoulder; hoping to flatten one of them.” he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Article from the WaterfordWhisperNews:

‘I only check my watch because it looks good’, admits jogger.
    What a tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

What a tosser

It's satire. Read some of the other articles it's just poking fun at Waterford people. Quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Strange day, spent from 7am to 5.30pm walking slowing around my place of work on an official strike with 100+ of my colleagues :( I had sore muscles where I didn't even know I had muscles, give me a marathon any day!

Forced myself out for a bit of a run afterwards cause otherwise would have just crashed on the sofa at home so feeling a bit better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    Strange day, spent from 7am to 5.30pm walking slowing around my place of work on an official strike with 100+ of my colleagues :( I had sore muscles where I didn't even know I had muscles, give me a marathon any day!

Forced myself out for a bit of a run afterwards cause otherwise would have just crashed on the sofa at home so feeling a bit better now.

Tyndall??

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Tyndall??

Yup spot on. Needless to say the atmosphere is cr*p at work now and will probably remain that way for quite some time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bunch of shouty students before the start of an XC race.

Watch the guy in the red jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

blockic wrote: »

:confused:

Why? It's pretty much the same footage as for any other downhill run of the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Best club for a plodder in dublin city centre? Other than Crusaders?

Needs to be accessible by public transport. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

:confused:

Why? It's pretty much the same footage as for any other downhill run of the world cup.

I wouldn't be one to watch the world cup now and just came across that link, I'm only a bandwagoner for the next 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

blockic wrote: »
    I wouldn't be one to watch the world cup now and just came across that link, I'm only a bandwagoner for the next 2 weeks!

You're forgiven. "We" won the gold and I'm in a happy mood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Anyobdoy going out for a run in the storms?
    I was planning to run home from work today...it would be almost entirely downwind.
    Good craic or too dangerous? Opinions please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Have a look here. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

I'll go with dangerous until at least 7pm. Mainly because you know there is at least hundred people who haven't figured out that umbrellas are useless in Ireland, and you'll get skulled by one.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Have a look here. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

I'll go with dangerous until at least 7pm. Mainly because you know there is at least hundred people who haven't figured out that umbrellas are useless in Ireland, and you'll get skulled by one.

Just seeing this now. All home and finished. Lovely evening actually. Missed all the rain. Tamest storm ever :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just seeing this now. All home and finished. Lovely evening actually. Missed all the rain. Tamest storm ever :pac:

Went out for a bit of a jog myself after work, stormageddon has passed Cork at that stage thankfully. Just had to keep my eyes peeled to avoid fallen branches, two nice big trees were blown over along the Marina (part of the Cork marathon route).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Tamest storm ever :pac:
    If it don't happen inside the M50, it don't happen;).

Down the SE it was very bad, lots of trees, debris, minor structural damage but nothing too serious.

Also got the run in but a miserable experience, wet, bitterly cold....and no other idiots out:P

slowsteady wrote: »
    If it don't happen inside the M50, it don't happen;).

Down the SE it was very bad, lots of trees, debris, minor structural damage but nothing too serious.

Also got the run in but a miserable experience, wet, bitterly cold....and no other idiots out:P

Ah I know it hit pretty bad elsewhere.
    It's just the hype on the weather forum as it approached Dublin was unreal. I was intently watching and wondering if I should risk running home from work. As it panned out, the winds hit at 4pm but had blown themselves out by 5. Had pretty much lovely bright conditions for the run bar a few gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Ah I know it hit pretty bad elsewhere.
    It's just the hype on the weather forum as it approached Dublin was unreal. I was intently watching and wondering if I should risk running home from work. As it panned out, the winds hit at 4pm but had blown themselves out by 5. Had pretty much lovely bright conditions for the run bar a few gusts.
    But were you running in one direction with the wind at your back:P

gerard_65 wrote: »
    But were you running in one direction with the wind at your back:P

mostly yes :pac: I turned into the wind at one point didn't enjoy it, turned back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

mostly yes :pac: I turned into the wind at one point didn't enjoy it, turned back ;)
    With the wind was lovely, the return was definitely the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I cycled home yesterday, the thing that worried me were the falling branches (the perils of the leafy suburbs!) so I didn't go out running later. Now I'm cursing meno :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Went out about 7:30 for mine. Awesome run, no pedestrians to weave around, no cars to wait for when you want to cross a road...running into the wind wasn't bad either...for a recovery run day anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

The title of the second one was shortened on the phone screen and I couldn't work out what "The Canadian Institute of Divers" were doing getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

robinph wrote: »
    The title of the second one was shortened on the phone screen and I couldn't work out what "The Canadian Institute of Divers" were doing getting involved.

Them scuba lads are fierce progressive altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

at what point in this weather is it counter productive to go for a long run......gale 20 m/s, heavy rain for the day.... :-(

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

statss wrote: »
    at what point in this weather is it counter productive to go for a long run......gale 20 m/s, heavy rain for the day.... :-(

Never. Just in from 12 in near gale/cold/driving rain/hail in the PP I actually think the worse the weather, the better the run is for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

statss wrote: »

New tool from Met Eireann.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

You can chart the rain by the hour.

The YR forecast is too broad.

Advertisement