Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Magill wrote: »
    That depends entirely on the context. Im sure its capable of 1080p 3D for less demanding games, but i mean it isn't even capable of running tomb raider at a solid 60fps. For it to run on say the Oculus rift, it would need to run tomb raider twice at a solid 60fps. Unless i'm missing something ?

Not quite, the 3D environment on a 2D screen is often semi-persistent. So some problems might arise out of having to render dynamic lighting in a greater FOV, but it won't require running a game twice any more than the DS runs its games twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There is a difference between what it has done and what it can do. This applies to both the PS4 and One. What Tomb Raider did only tells you what Tomb Raider did, not what the consoles can do.

Fair enough, just pointing out the difference between being 1080p 3D capable and being VR capable. You honestly think any studio will be able to produce a top end game capable of running at 120fps at 1080p ?
    I thought the PS4 had no problem running at an average of 60fps for Tomb Raider?

Nah, think its closer to 50 than 60 on average (Bear in mind it was capped at 60, so if it was unlocked it probably would have been averaging 60ish with drops as low as 45ish i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nah, think its closer to 50 than 60 on average (Bear in mind it was capped at 60, so if it was unlocked it probably would have been averaging 60ish with drops as low as 45ish i think).

According to Square Enix:
    On the other hand, the PlayStation 4 build will attempt to hit 60 fps as often as possible, and does a pretty good job of doing so, but does have slight dips under 60 fps during certain scenarios.

45 would seem like more than a slight dip to me.

Edit: Reading up more on it, I shouldn't believe PR…

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Fair enough, just pointing out the difference between being 1080p 3D capable and being VR capable. You honestly think any studio will be able to produce a top end game capable of running at 120fps at 1080p ?
    I'm not going to count that as something to expect from consoles, let alone from this gen, until such time as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Not quite, the 3D environment on a 2D screen is often semi-persistent. So some problems might arise out of having to render dynamic lighting in a greater FOV, but it won't require running a game twice any more than the DS runs its games twice.

Well you'll be rendering the same image twice ? These VR headsets work by having a separate image for each eye.

General rule of thumb for 3D games on PC is it'll half your framerate, so if you can run a game at 120fps you'll get 60ish in 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

45 would seem like more than a slight dip to me.

In gaming terms a dip from 60-45 fps is slight as gameplay will still be smooth and very playable and not too noticeable. A drop to below 40-35 down form a smooth 60-50 would be a major dip and would effect gameplay. One would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a game running at 50 and another at 60fps, they would play the same for a gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well I'll hopefully be picking up a PS4 this weekend. Wasn't an easy choice to go for it over the Xbox One, as I'd really like to play Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall. I can play Titanfall on PC however and when it came down to it, it was about price. For the same price as an Xbox One with no games and with a useless camera peripheral that I only don't want, but resent being asked to pay for, I can get a PS4 with two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well I'll hopefully be picking up a PS4 this weekend. Wasn't an easy choice to for it over the Xbox One, as I'd really like to play Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall. I can play Titanfall on PC however and when it came down to it, it was about price. For the same price as an Xbox One with no games and with a useless camera peripheral that I only don't want, but resent being asked to pay for, I can get a PS4 with two games.

You buying new or second hand? I'd wait at least 6 months tbh. Nothing really out between now and then that warrants a purchase in Q1 or Q2.

Some cheap ones floating about already http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-4/4728106

Although the same can be said for xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

COYVB wrote: »
    Okay, unbiased opinion from a game journalist who has both:

The Xbox one in the office, and the one at home, are honestly gathering dust. The xbo is a decent machine, but it just can't hold a candle to the value proposition of the ps4.

Not only is Sony's box more powerful, with better multi platform ports, but it's just an all round superior games machine. The ui is vastly superior, with none of the silly over complicated attempt to mimic a computer os, and the range of games, particularly Indies, is currently miles ahead.

I would very enthusiastically recommend avoiding the xbo unless there are some huge announcements of exclusives in the near future from Microsoft which, given the complete dearth of them on the 360 towards the end, looks relatively unlikely.

The likes of Titanfall won't sustain a $500 console

If you MUST get an xbo, wait at least a year. Pick up a ps3 and PS+ subscription and enjoy free games to keep you going in the interim and reevaluate after next Christmas

*edit*

Also worth noting, for the sake of demonstrable impartiality, I've got a much, much, much better relationship with Microsoft than Sony, professionally, so there's no preferential treatment going on here. It'd suit me a LOT better to have MS delivering and succeeding than Sony, from an access and work POV

They are not free they are rented. Stop paying your sub and you can't play the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's really a non issue for most people.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's really a non issue for most people.

I know but it's a fact.

They are not free they are rented. Stop paying your sub and you can't play the games.

This is not a big deal, guessing you don't have plus.

RasTa wrote: »
    This is not a big deal, guessing you don't have plus.

I'm guessing you still live at home and don't understand the concept of renting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Stop paying live and you effectively lose everything, including Netflix.

What would I rather have, 5 year old games to keep, or games under a year old?

Honestly, just like you're going to keep paying for live, which you have to because you can't do much without it, we'll keep paying for PS+, especially now that it's mandatory for online so really the issue is moot.

I've made my money back 4 times over with PS+.

Whatever way you word it, wrong, right, rental, free, it's undeniably brilliant and so well thought out, game wise. I'd still call them free games, because that's what it feels like when I go onto the store and it says FREE beside it. I won't take issue with the wording, it feels like theft sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an issue for some people though. I don't have PS Plus and it doesn't make sense to me. Any games I want I end up owning before they are on the service and I'd like to have permanent access to any games I buy so renting doesn't work for me, I usually end up playing the games I buy way down the line.

Fabulous service all the same especially compared to Gold (paying for online is something I don't see any value in), just not for everyone and I'd be in the minority.

That'll matter to some, though I suspect we'd be a minority. It seems from how people talk about games, they play 'em once (the majority) and don't feel the need to go back. I love replaying games a good ways down the line... But, it should be said even with PS plus as it is, you can just buy the game when its gone down in price, so you are saving money on good games, rather than waiting hella long to get it for free. There is value to playing games soon-ish after them being out, not years later.

The discounts are impressive too, and you get to keep any discounted (not marked free) games beyond subscription, which is cool. Got a great discount on Deadly Premonition during the Halloween Sale. Down from €39.99 to €12.99, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You're not going to stop paying your sub if you have any intention on continuing to play them. It's not like the sub is 50 quid a month, it's the cost of one single game per year, and you get a shedload of games for it. My PS+ expires in 2017, for the games I get on PS+, i'll long be done with them by that stage. Also you can fully expect a complete handover of all games when the PS3 is discontinued - anyone with a PS+ will get to keep their games and the restrictions be removed. I guarantee it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What a cool innovative little idea :)

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    You're not going to stop paying your sub if you have any intention on continuing to play them.

So basically if you have ten games you want to play and 1 month left you have to buy another sub to play them.
    It's not like the sub is 50 quid a month, it's the cost of one single game per year, and you get a shedload of games for it.

You get a lot of games, but you don't know what you are getting, and more importantly you don't own them. Spend 50 euro on a steam sale and you will get a ton of great games and they are yours to keep forever.
    My PS+ expires in 2017, for the games I get on PS+, i'll long be done with them by that stage. Also you can fully expect a complete handover of all games when the PS3 is discontinued - anyone with a PS+ will get to keep their games and the restrictions be removed. I guarantee it

Now you're just speculating and coming across as a sony rep.

I'm guessing you still live at home and don't understand the concept of renting.

Oh yes the concept of renting is a tricky one.

So you do have Playstation+ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Poll is exactly 3:1!

I kinda wonder how many people who plan on getting both actually voted on this poll. I haven't voted yet, so only know what the results are when its mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

166 games have game out on PS+ for free since its inception 43 months ago, all of which have a metascore of over 70 or over, 3 years of the subscription would set you back €150, but that just works out as being just 0.90c per game, pretty could deal if you ask me and not sure how people could criticize it.

You get a lot of games, but you don't know what you are getting, and more importantly you don't own them. Spend 50 euro on a steam sale and you will get a ton of great games and they are yours to keep forever.

I've heard this mentioned before.

Let's have a look at what your 50 gets you for the year

PS3
    Mortal Kombat

Bioshock 2

Guardians of Middle Earth

God of War HD

Quantum Conundrum

Dead or Alive 5

Mass Effect 3

Okami HD

Hitman Absolution

Catherine

Demon's Souls

ICO

Shadow of the Colossus

Uncharted 3 Drake’s Deception

Battlefield 3

Saints Row the Third

Mafia 2

Assassin's Creed III

Far Cry 3

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Remember Me

GRID 2

Guacamelee! (PS3 & Vita)

That's only about half of the overall games, throw in PS4 and vita ones and it easily beats spending 50 euro in a steam sale, even if you don't own the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

M1Sq44n.jpg?1

Now you're just speculating and coming across as a sony rep.

Ah, now. He's said he works closely with the industry. Anyone on this thread celebrating Ps Plus would sound like a rep in that case.

Sure anyone saying Titanfall will be good is speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

M1Sq44n.jpg?1

There's a picture to backup this guys argument. End the discussion clearly there's only one winner here.

By the way, did you just draw that up on paint to back your argument up?!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement