Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New smoking packs

Options
  • 30-01-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just wondering what people think about the new plain packs for cigarettes the government are going bringing in? Will they make smoking less attractive or is it just a big waste of tax payer money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It won't make much difference. But where is all this tax payers money involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Going to make things a whole lot easier for counterfeit cigarettes on the black market.
    Besides that I can't see it making a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I haven't seen them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

As said, it'll be much easier to spot who's buying black market cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I miss the rituals and accoutrements of smoking more than smoking itself. If I hadn't given up, I'd still be putting tobacco from branded packets into a leather pouch (it still smells gorgeous) or filling a silver case with untipped cigarettes, tamping them on the lid before lighting up. Plain packaging definitely didn't bother me.

mmmmm lovely smokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I can imagine the wrong brands given to people and it taking it longer to serve customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Actually yeah it seems like a great time to invest in premium cigarette holders.
    I reckon they'll sell well now. I've got a nice silver and leather JD case. Stops them getting crushed in my back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MissyFee

I'm doing a survey in college about this and I'm just interested in people's opinions. The plain packs are due to have big health warnings on them as well, will this increase awareness about the negative consequences of smoking or will people just ignore them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going to smoke more cigarettes just to spite the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

MissyFee wrote: »
    I'm doing a survey in college about this and I'm just interested in people's opinions. The plain packs are due to have big health warnings on them as well, will this increase awareness about the negative consequences of smoking or will people just ignore them?

Does your college not have books and journals and stuff that might give you more of a clue than AH?

• Advertisement

Muise... wrote: »
    Does your college not have books and journals and stuff that might give you more of a clue than AH?

Oh it does. I've done plenty of research on the current literature, but there's very little hard evidence as Australia is the only country to have actually implemented it so far.

I'm just trying to see what the public in Ireland thinks. You don't by any chance want to take my survey? I'd really appreciate it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Plain packets wont make a blind bit of difference to smokers, im sure the people who do counterfeit cigarettes will start doing plain packets too in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Sure when we all give up we will have our income tax put up to make up the difference anyways

Yeah, the government is saying that it won't make a difference to counterfeiting.. but with all packs being nearly identical it is difficult to agree with them. The main idea is to put off young smokers taking it up rather than to encourage current smoker to quit although that would be an added benefit. Would ugly images and unappealing packs stop young people taking it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

As said, it'll be much easier to spot who's buying black market cigarettes.

And people just back from their hols!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The current gorey pictures are already ignored so....come on you're a student of this nonsense work it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

MissyFee wrote: »
    Oh it does. I've done plenty of research on the current literature, but there's very little hard evidence as Australia is the only country to have actually implemented it so far.

I'm just trying to see what the public in Ireland thinks. You don't by any chance want to take my survey? I'd really appreciate it ;)

There's a forum for that

Surveys and non-media research

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement