Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astral Projection / Travel / OOBE

Options
  • 28-01-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm a relative newbie to this phenomenon so please try to bear with me - I have some questions and am hoping that some things can be explained to me. This is something I've very, very rarely discussed and have always felt it was deeply personal.

I'm aware that the narration of all of this can seem a bit strange or even contrived - it's because I'm quite excited about what I managed to do last night which I believe was my first deliberate episode of astral travel/OOBE so again, please bear with!

From a fairly young age I was aware of the fact that it was possible to leave one's body at night. It happened at intervals, say every few weeks that I was aware of throughout my life, but as I say, I'd always kept it to myself. So the first time someone mentioned it to me that it was "a thing" that I did fairly regularly, it was a medium with a deck of tarot cards. That's a whole other story and can open a whole other can of worms, let's just say I was a skeptic when I met her and left a believer. Anyway, she matter of factly stated that astral travel was something I did, as blasé as if she was telling me that I might go down to my local bar on a weekend.

Once I realised that this was something that people have experienced and it's called Astral Travel/Projection/OOBE I started looking more into it. Up until last night I was unable to have any sort of control over it. It just happened. I'd be in bed for the night, minding my own business, then feel what many people elsewhere have described as that vibration or tingling - for me it's like that but also a twitching and straining sensation with an intense buzzing or ringing in my ears and then POP I'm up watching myself fast asleep... I had also discovered myself that I could, from there, sort of "teleport" myself into various humming landscapes of kaleidoscopes of vivid colours and sounds - very difficult to describe - all just by thinking "GO". Places with an energetic background noise of intense humming vibration that feels somewhat akin to standing in front of a big bass speaker at a nightclub or concert venue but without the pulse rhythm, just a continuous hum. I had also realised that I could "teleport" to places I'd been before in my daily life or at least to being near someone I know. I had begun as I call "visiting" my girlfriend's house and bedroom while she slept and - bizarrely (maybe someone can explain this one to me, it's one of the ways I knew this visit was definitely not a figment of my imagination) freaked the heck out of her cat which definitely and undeniably saw me on more than one occasion.

Anyhow, going back to last night I had been attempting the whole "body asleep/mind awake" technique I have read about quietly by myself the last few nights in a row. The other times I'd simply got confused, my mind followed my sleeping body and that was that. Last night however I managed to do it and it was unlike anything I'd experienced before in my "accidental" travels. So I'm flat on my back, eyes closed and I can feel my body completely relaxing but I'm fully conscious. Then I felt this intense tingling sensation. The best way I can describe it is like pins and needles - pretty intense ones in my hands, feet, arms and legs. Next thing I noticed was that it was quite difficult to move almost as if my body was made from concrete and I had a very odd sensation (remember I'd never actually felt this before, any time I was "aware" of being out of myself I was already there, I'd never been completely conscious of the process, it was just POP and done) of, and this is the best way I can describe it, my ears being a few inches above my "physical ears" and my face being a few inches above my "physical face" - it felt not unlike slowly lifting my head face first from underwater into the air, that same spreading feeling of freedom from the water. I tried to concentrate and not get too excited that I was managing this and "sat up" and then I was floating above myself. This is when I started to become aware that things were certainly "different" from other episodes. I suppose before I had not been fully "conscious" of my position, whereas this time I was? I first "teleported" to that humming, warm, vibrating colourful place I'd mentioned earlier but was met by three (weirdly) German men in old fashioned flannel (?) shirts who didn't "say" a word but put it into my head that they had lived near here for a time as interned Prisoners of War, had been pilots and wanted it known almost as an aside but important to also note that they were NOT Nazis, but were just professional airmen doing a job. This was all imparted to me in a sort of an upload to my consciousness in a split second and the image was gone.

I then thought about telling my girlfriend in the morning all that I'd managed this time around and as soon as I thought about her I was in her room hovering beside her as she slept. There was a loud buzzing in my head and vibration all around me - to be honest we've just broken up and I'm led to believe (I'm not sure how, but I just kind of "know") that the blurring of my vision and the buzzing and vibration has something to do with that. I managed to give her a little kiss (yes it's corny) and I was back in my own bed and body feeling myself wake up.

So... Am I right about the buzzing and blurring in my girlfriend's room and the general unclarity? Is it normal for "others" to randomly contact you while on your travels like the three airmen I met? I've no idea how to convince skeptics among you but I know the difference by now between a dream and a lucid dream and I was certainly conscious and lucid throughout this whole experience which lasted probably no more than 15 minutes. Why did "travelling" deliberately (at least at the start and in meeting the three German lads) feel so very different from accidental occurrences? Thanks in advance for any feedback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

A fascinating read. I haven't got a clue about such things but I hope you get some feedback from people who have had similar experiences.

Could you try to investigate who the 3 men were? Lived locally? I guess German soldiers were interned in Ireland during the war. Do you live near where some of those holding places might have been?

Maybe research into the local newspapers from that time ? From the way you have described it, they sound as if they were trying to address an accusation that may have been made against them on public or the local newspapers or similar either during or after the war? (Or should I say after the Emergency!:D )

Thanks for the post...very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 samael1983

A quick search and a history lesson after the fact, without giving too much away about where I live (remember I said this is deeply personal to me), it turns out German and British POWs who wound up on the shores of the Irish Republic through shipwreck or air accident were interned in the Curragh Camp in Co. Kildare. The other place they were interned was at Gormanston in Co. Meath, but that's even further away. Apparently DeValera as an American Citizen himself had an agreement with the US that any American service-members would be returned to their units via Northern Ireland. Curragh Camp is about 30km from where I live as the crow flies. My "feeling" was that these guys were simply interested to make themselves known to me and that they weren't associated with Nazism but were just soldiers. I wouldn't have a clue where to research this more and to be perfectly honest their little "upload" of information to me was quite enough. To me it was completely random but there you go!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

[mod hat on]As this is a really interesting thread, I would like if the skeptics would kindly back off on this one, and let discussion roll, its not often we get such a vivid and candid description of something like obe. I dont want the op put off, so Im pre-empting any negativity! :)[/mod hat off]

The german soldier thing could be that, whatever 'plane' you are on, allows you to pick up vibrations, echoes, psychic imprints - whatever you want to call it - so you see those guys.

The change in your impressions of your (ex) girlfriend could actually be a personal kind of 'block' due to any emotional issues the breakup has left you with, a subconcious hesitance, or something.

Otherwise, great post, thanks.

@Samael1983

I think were many other places where internees were "held". In many cases I think they lived relatively free to live and move within the community until they were processed and moved to the north or sent back to Germany.

A quick google might come up with some results in you area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I have no answers to the OPs questions, but its a handy place for me to recount my own OOBE experience. Ive only ever had one.

years back (late 80s) I used to live in London and hadnt been home in years. I dreamt one night I was outside our house at home and as I looked down the street I could see a housing estate in what used to be our back field. Id never heard talk of a housing development going there. My point of view was also a bit strange as I seemed to be above the road rather than on it.

At that time, there was no housing estate there. But about 6 years later, there was - and its exactly the same as the one I saw. At the time of my dream though, there were no plans for one.

• Advertisement

Kettleson wrote: »
    @Samael1983

I think were many other places where internees were "held". In many cases I think they lived relatively free to live and move within the community until they were processed and moved to the north or sent back to Germany.

A quick google might come up with some results in you area.

While I do appreciate the interest I'm loathe to delve any deeper or at least post more info on the subject of the aircrew since I'd rather not give anyone too much info to identify me - as I said it's a very personal thing to me. Like the only reason I told my then gf about any of this in the first place was because she was in the room when the medium was announcing that I could travel outside of my body and let's just say my "Poker Face" is non-existant! Also I've been led to believe in the past that too much interest on my part in the men might be taken as an invitation to "take up residence" at my home - which may or may not be a misguided belief but I'd rather err on the side of caution to be honest. Without meaning to sound hostile or ungrateful for your input so far Kettleson, you have enough info (e.g. I live within a 30km radius of Curragh Camp) to do some digging yourself within that area if you want to

The men won't take up residence in your home. If you could accidentally invite such things in by doing this stuff, I reckon you would have had a houseful before now. So I wouldn't worry on that score. You were led to believe you could, and now I'm giving you the opposite opinion. You're perfectly safe, imo.

You wonder why this time was different. Well, you went into it with a different, more deliberate mindset. You didn't do it by accident while half asleep. I would presume that was why it changed. Bear in mind that when you do this stuff, you are always in control, both of how to stop it, and whether you meet germans or not. Be mindful of that when and if you try again. You are running the show.

I also get that this is a dodgy and sensitive subject to talk about, and I appreciate you doing so.

maccored wrote: »
    I have no answers to the OPs questions, but its a handy place for me to recount my own OOBE experience. Ive only ever had one.

years back (late 80s) I used to live in London and hadnt been home in years. I dreamt one night I was outside our house at home and as I looked down the street I could see a housing estate in what used to be our back field. Id never heard talk of a housing development going there. My point of view was also a bit strange as I seemed to be above the road rather than on it.

At that time, there was no housing estate there. But about 6 years later, there was - and its exactly the same as the one I saw. At the time of my dream though, there were no plans for one.
    maccored wrote: »

Cool! The point of view part is certainly "familiar" also I understand from my own research (and limited experience) that the concept of time while in such a state or visiting the "plane" I described before is in no way what we're used to with our linear concept of time. I understand it's possible in other planes of existence for many events and scenarios in the past, present and future to be apparent in one place. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could explain better?! Quantum/Meta-Physics are definitely not within my area of expertise!

Oryx wrote: »
    The men won't take up residence in your home. If you could accidentally invite such things in by doing this stuff, I reckon you would have had a houseful before now. So I wouldn't worry on that score. You were led to believe you could, and now I'm giving you the opposite opinion. You're perfectly safe, imo.

You wonder why this time was different. Well, you went into it with a different, more deliberate mindset. You didn't do it by accident while half asleep. I would presume that was why it changed. Bear in mind that when you do this stuff, you are always in control, both of how to stop it, and whether you meet germans or not. Be mindful of that when and if you try again. You are running the show.

I also get that this is a dodgy and sensitive subject to talk about, and I appreciate you doing so.

Thanks for clarifying and understanding! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Scientific minds get extremely irritated when the people attempt to hijack quantum physics to explain paranormal phenomena. :)

But think on it like this. Time is a book. We are characters in the book, and as such, we are fixed to the page, with particular actions taking place in different parts of the book. However those on the outside; in this alternate 'plane' are like readers, who can flick from point to point in the book in a non linear fashion. No, its not scientific, and it proves nothing, but I still like the analogy.

• Advertisement

samael1983 wrote: »
    While I do appreciate the interest I'm loathe to delve any deeper or at least post more info on the subject of the aircrew since I'd rather not give anyone too much info to identify me - as I said it's a very personal thing to me. Like the only reason I told my then gf about any of this in the first place was because she was in the room when the medium was announcing that I could travel outside of my body and let's just say my "Poker Face" is non-existant! Also I've been led to believe in the past that too much interest on my part in the men might be taken as an invitation to "take up residence" at my home - which may or may not be a misguided belief but I'd rather err on the side of caution to be honest. Without meaning to sound hostile or ungrateful for your input so far Kettleson, you have enough info (e.g. I live within a 30km radius of Curragh Camp) to do some digging yourself within that area if you want to

Indeed, sound and understood. I guess like many others who frequent Paranormal Boards.ie, I'm really looking for opportunities to find some level of validation for possible paranormal occurrences. That's why I focused in so much on the 3 soldiers, apologies for that. I might do a bit of digging right enough! :D

Oryx wrote: »
    Scientific minds get extremely irritated when the people attempt to hijack quantum physics to explain paranormal phenomena. :)

But think on it like this. Time is a book. We are characters in the book, and as such, we are fixed to the page, with particular actions taking place in different parts of the book. However those on the outside; in this alternate 'plane' are like readers, who can flick from point to point in the book in a non linear fashion. No, its not scientific, and it proves nothing, but I still like the analogy.

Ha! Exactly!

I don't want to bang on about the 3 soldiers, but it did interest me.

There were very few German pilots who were interned at the Curragh. (Link1)

But I wondered were the 3 soldiers German or perhaps another nationality, possibly Irish, who had been collaborating with the German army. (Link 2).

For example, Sean Russells' memorial statue has been vandalised in 2004, the group who carried out the damage later issuing the statement below, and again in 2009, when the attackers claimed that Russell was a Nazi.

In a way it makes more sense to me that Irish collaborators would have more reason to protest that they were not Nazis.

Link 3:

The group that damaged the statue of Russell in 2004, made this statement.

"Six million Jews, thousands of political dissidents, homosexuals, Roma people, Soviet prisoners of war and the disabled were put to death by the fascist hate machine that overran and terrified Europe from 1939 to 45. Sean Russell was one of many nationalist fanatics who looked to Hitler for political and military support in the IRA's quest to reunify Ireland at the point of the bayonets of the Gestapo. At the Wannsee conference, the infamous Nazi gathering that planned the "Final Solution", the Jewish community in Ireland was marked down for annihilation. Having freed Ireland from British rule, the Nazis expected their collaborators to help them round up Dublin's Jews and ship them off to Auschwitz. That was the price Sean Russell was prepared to pay to end partition".

Link 1 :http://www.curragh.info/klines.htm

Link 2:
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/frankryan/Archivaldialogues/SeanRussellandFrankRyanandthesoulofrepublicanism/

Link 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Would it be possible that Samael was one of these soldiers and he was traveling through memories from past life times ?
    Separately, the monroe institute would be a leading expert in the field of obe's . Their founder bob monroe started having obe's and spent his life researching and writing several books on them. He also developed techniques and tools for those interested in having obe's .He's a character I'd have a lot of respect for.

Would it be possible that Samael was one of these soldiers and he was traveling through memories from past life times ?
    Separately, the monroe institute would be a leading expert in the field of obe's . Their founder bob monroe started having obe's and spent his life researching and writing several books on them. He also developed techniques and tools for those interested in having obe's .He's a character I'd have a lot of respect for.

That's an interesting theory... I was told before that I've apparently been on this earth before "a few times" by the same medium I mentioned - however I have no way of verifying that and have never had any odd dreams nor epiphanies to corroborate that - personally I reckon you get one life - once you're gone you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sussique

test

I've traveled OOB I'm pretty sure. I have had night terror hallucinations as a kid. I've had a visit from someone who had recently committed suicide and it was terrifying. Some kind of force has tried to snuff me out psychologically supressing my ability to wake up from terrifying half-wake half-sleep states. Something has hovered over me.

last night I had a dream about a dead bird. this am i found a dead bird under the bed from the cat. sometimes when I open the front door the cat is walking up as though he had programmed ME to open the door at that time for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

My own experience was perhaps due to morphine after a major back operation in 2002, the night after the operation and still on heavy doses of morphine (I guess) I dreamt that I was in hell (fire and brimstone and all that) and then suddenly I was lying there conscious, terrified, on the hospital bed when suddenly I began to float slowly off the bed up until my nose was two inches or so from the ceiling.

When I 'left' the bed I could no longer feel the bed supporting me underneath, it was so calm and peaceful compared to seconds before in the pit of hell! I gently 'floated' down again until I began to feel the bed beneath take my weight and back to normal. Everything seemed so real and my consciousness of my surroundings seemed very acute.

I still put the whole experience down to Morphine - 'Trippin' but I read that some people have OBE/Astral travel via drug or alcohol use … sorry if I have repeated this story and posted this earlier in another thread. JBG

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

@samael1983 respect for sharing your experience ..

I recently shared a similar experience with a quite random stranger in another country, don't know why as I hadn't thought about it for 20 years, guess I didn't think it would do any harm if they thought I was a little unwell ... turns out he had a similar experience and never told anyone and we had a fascinating conversation about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Tried Astral Projection about the years back,and to be honest it freaked me out.
    I never actually fully projected.
    The floating feeling used to start at my feet and work it's way up through my body, but usually when it gets to my chest, I get palpitations and it panics me.

I was always fully conscious while attempting this, and weirdly enough I was thinking about trying it again lately.
    I used a book by a guy called Ophiel, called The Art and practice of Astral Projection.

Like I said I never got past the chest thing as it used to freak me out. I'd really love to give it a go again. Incidentally, it always appeared to work more naturally when I was tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 linda101

samael1983 wrote: »
    I'm a relative newbie to this phenomenon so please try to bear with me - I have some questions and am hoping that some things can be explained to me. This is something I've very, very rarely discussed and have always felt it was deeply personal.

I'm aware that the narration of all of this can seem a bit strange or even contrived - it's because I'm quite excited about what I managed to do last night which I believe was my first deliberate episode of astral travel/OOBE so again, please bear with!

From a fairly young age I was aware of the fact that it was possible to leave one's body at night. It happened at intervals, say every few weeks that I was aware of throughout my life, but as I say, I'd always kept it to myself. So the first time someone mentioned it to me that it was "a thing" that I did fairly regularly, it was a medium with a deck of tarot cards. That's a whole other story and can open a whole other can of worms, let's just say I was a skeptic when I met her and left a believer. Anyway, she matter of factly stated that astral travel was something I did, as blasé as if she was telling me that I might go down to my local bar on a weekend.

Once I realised that this was something that people have experienced and it's called Astral Travel/Projection/OOBE I started looking more into it. Up until last night I was unable to have any sort of control over it. It just happened. I'd be in bed for the night, minding my own business, then feel what many people elsewhere have described as that vibration or tingling - for me it's like that but also a twitching and straining sensation with an intense buzzing or ringing in my ears and then POP I'm up watching myself fast asleep... I had also discovered myself that I could, from there, sort of "teleport" myself into various humming landscapes of kaleidoscopes of vivid colours and sounds - very difficult to describe - all just by thinking "GO". Places with an energetic background noise of intense humming vibration that feels somewhat akin to standing in front of a big bass speaker at a nightclub or concert venue but without the pulse rhythm, just a continuous hum. I had also realised that I could "teleport" to places I'd been before in my daily life or at least to being near someone I know. I had begun as I call "visiting" my girlfriend's house and bedroom while she slept and - bizarrely (maybe someone can explain this one to me, it's one of the ways I knew this visit was definitely not a figment of my imagination) freaked the heck out of her cat which definitely and undeniably saw me on more than one occasion.

Anyhow, going back to last night I had been attempting the whole "body asleep/mind awake" technique I have read about quietly by myself the last few nights in a row. The other times I'd simply got confused, my mind followed my sleeping body and that was that. Last night however I managed to do it and it was unlike anything I'd experienced before in my "accidental" travels. So I'm flat on my back, eyes closed and I can feel my body completely relaxing but I'm fully conscious. Then I felt this intense tingling sensation. The best way I can describe it is like pins and needles - pretty intense ones in my hands, feet, arms and legs. Next thing I noticed was that it was quite difficult to move almost as if my body was made from concrete and I had a very odd sensation (remember I'd never actually felt this before, any time I was "aware" of being out of myself I was already there, I'd never been completely conscious of the process, it was just POP and done) of, and this is the best way I can describe it, my ears being a few inches above my "physical ears" and my face being a few inches above my "physical face" - it felt not unlike slowly lifting my head face first from underwater into the air, that same spreading feeling of freedom from the water. I tried to concentrate and not get too excited that I was managing this and "sat up" and then I was floating above myself. This is when I started to become aware that things were certainly "different" from other episodes. I suppose before I had not been fully "conscious" of my position, whereas this time I was? I first "teleported" to that humming, warm, vibrating colourful place I'd mentioned earlier but was met by three (weirdly) German men in old fashioned flannel (?) shirts who didn't "say" a word but put it into my head that they had lived near here for a time as interned Prisoners of War, had been pilots and wanted it known almost as an aside but important to also note that they were NOT Nazis, but were just professional airmen doing a job. This was all imparted to me in a sort of an upload to my consciousness in a split second and the image was gone.

I then thought about telling my girlfriend in the morning all that I'd managed this time around and as soon as I thought about her I was in her room hovering beside her as she slept. There was a loud buzzing in my head and vibration all around me - to be honest we've just broken up and I'm led to believe (I'm not sure how, but I just kind of "know") that the blurring of my vision and the buzzing and vibration has something to do with that. I managed to give her a little kiss (yes it's corny) and I was back in my own bed and body feeling myself wake up.

So... Am I right about the buzzing and blurring in my girlfriend's room and the general unclarity? Is it normal for "others" to randomly contact you while on your travels like the three airmen I met? I've no idea how to convince skeptics among you but I know the difference by now between a dream and a lucid dream and I was certainly conscious and lucid throughout this whole experience which lasted probably no more than 15 minutes. Why did "travelling" deliberately (at least at the start and in meeting the three German lads) feel so very different from accidental occurrences? Thanks in advance for any feedback

I think something like this is happening to me II'mscared as I don't really know wats goin on I think ur story is Amazing by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eleven.11

OP, really interesting share! Thank you! I have only recently been taught the term Astral Projection as I have some injuries which aren't explainable by medical doctors (awful neck spasm the instant before I awaken). My most recent venture lead me to a therapist who suggested it could be possible that I am injuring myself upon returning to physical body after another night in my 'very busy' dream life. I don't know if I would fit entirely into the AP category, but for me dreams are very full and vibrant and I have a very regular tendency to walk, talk, reach for things, open my eyes and converse with people who aren't visible to others in the room, etc., so when I awaken I find it very hard to 'reconnect' with this world. I hope that makes sense - I find it hard to put this into words. Considering the wordy individual that I am...that's impressive!
    WOndering how you got on with finding information on your own dreaming experiences, as I noticed your post was a good while back. Has anyone else on this thread found any helpful resources? My current helper has suggested we try to find a way to make for a softer landing, so to speak.
    I am very open minded and, to be honest, I thought I'd heard it all when it came to the metaphysical. But I am super new to this topic so advice is welcome or if anyone happens to know of someone in Ireland who knows a lot about this and is reputed ( i don't mean to sound judgy but please no Quacks as my neck is literally at risk if someone makes a bad judgment call!) then I'd welcome a recommendation. PM , obviously, I know no recommendations can be made public.
    Glad I found this thread!

Advertisement