Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish officers at Denshawai?

Options
  • 27-01-2014 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Been reading what I can about the "Denshawai Incident" which took place in Egypt in 1906.

In very brief summary, a group of five British cavalry officers who were part of the British garrison occupying Egypt to safeguard Britain's part ownership of the Suez canal, went pigeon hunting in the Egyptian village of Denshawai. They were accompanied by an Egyptian policeman and an interpreter.

As they started shooting pigeons, for sport, they enraged the villagers who had been breeding the pigeons for food. A scuffle started, shots were fired, the wife of a village elder was seriously wounded and a barn was accidentally set on fire.

The villagers overpowered, and gave a good kicking to, the officers who surrendered and were rescued by village elders who managed to calm the crowd down. Two of the officers escaped into the desert; one made it back to base, the other died of heatstroke.

At a time of growing nationalist resentment to the British presence, the authorities clamped down hard on the villagers. One villager, suspected, almost certainly wrongly, of killing the soldier who died was summarily executed by a British patrol. The participants in the riot were tried quickly and harshly, by a panel which included both British and Coptic Christian judges.

Four villagers were publicly hanged, several more imprisoned and others flogged. The incident caused huge resentment and is still remembered in Egypt as a turning point in attitudes to British rule. Fifty years later, following the Egyptian diplomatic victory during the Suez crisis, a well known Egyptian journalist announced "The pigeons of Denshawai have come home to roost."

Thing is, apparently two of the original five officers whose hooray Henry antics had caused the whole problem were Irish. Anybody here know who they were? Any names? Can't find any in any of the sources I have looked at.

Would be interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

An interesting tale of Empire that I'd never heard of before but very minor in the overall scheme of things. Interested to see the comments of Danny Morrison and GB Shaw on the incident. Thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The participants in the riot were tried quickly and harshly, by a panel which included both British and Coptic Christian judges.

Interesting that, wonder was it a Coptic village or was there favouritism towards the Coptic minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Wren A. Magreet

I'm not sure if this is of any help,but have just found the following excerpt online in which we learn of George Bernard Shaw's account of the said incident.It's interesting though that he mentions English rather than British officers as the culprits.If there were Irish officers involved too,I'm sure he would have taken great delight in mentioning this fact,but who knows?

"George Bernard Shaw had set out an elaborate account of the “Denshawai Horror” in his “Preface for Politicians” (1906) to the play “John Bull’s Other Island”(1907).8 According to Shaw, in mid-June 1906 some English officers out on a pigeon-shoot got into a nasty scrap with villagers injuring some of them and inducing retaliatory thrashings. This infuriated the British authorities and ultimately resulted in four persons being hanged, two being sentenced for life, one for 15 years and six to 7 years, three for a year with “hard labor and fifty lashes” and five to 50 lashes.9 It is not clear whether Gandhi was familiar with this work by Shaw, but eighteen months after publishing Kamil Pasha’s speech, Gandhi referred appreciatively to G.K Chesterton’s protest against the Denshawai incident. In Chesterton’s words, when a “few harmless peasants at Denshawai had objected to the looting of their property; they were tortured and hanged.” (Indian Opinion, January 22, 1910, CW, Vol 10, p.134)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Wren A. Magreet

Interesting that, wonder was it a Coptic village or was there favouritism towards the Coptic minority?

Apparently the local villagers were muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Funny you should ask. It was a Muslim village, but the main Egyptian judge who presided at the trial, along with some British colleagues was a Copt called Boutros Ghali. He was a grandfather of the eponymous future Secretary General of the United Nations, and was later assassinated.

Divide and rule tactics were a universal feature of colonial administrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

the officer who died was Captain S C Bull, 6th Inniskillin Dragoons.

The others were, as far as I can gather,

Major John Pine-Coffin, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
    Lt Standish George Smithwick, Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    Captain John Southey Bostock, Royal Army Medical Corps
    Lt Porter, Rifle Brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

the officer who died was Captain S C Bull, 6th Inniskillin Dragoons.

The others were, as far as I can gather,

Major John Pine-Coffin, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
    Lt Standish George Smithwick, Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    Captain John Southey Bostock, Royal Army Medical Corps
    Lt Porter, Rifle Brigade

Standish George Smithwick was born in Ireland. I believe his family was based in Co. Limerick,

Seymour Clarke Bull was from Warwickshire
    John Southey Bostock was from Sussex
    John Pine-Coffin was from Devon
    not sure about Lt Porter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

feargale wrote: »
    Standish George Smithwick was born in Ireland. I believe his family was based in Co. Limerick,

What a great Irish name, of the time at any rate! Are there any kids being given the name Standish nowadays, I wonder?

Thanks to all for the info. Most appreciated.

his father appears to have been Reverend/Canon Standish Poole Smithwick.

A brother (Charles Standish Smithwick) was killed in a rebellion in Mashonaland serving as a trooper with the British South African Police, 1897

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/26954/pages/2203/page.pdf

Another brother Algernon Robert Smithwick, served with the Royal Navy retiring as a Rear Admiral.

Very much an Empire family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement