Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a debate on XDA about switching to ART, consensus seems to be to stick with Davlik until ART is officially released.

This is my opinion too.
    DALVIK does the job grand for the time being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Anyone else notice this, I was taking some pictures with the front facing camera (Selfies for SnapChat and the like :P) and when the photo is taken, the animation it does where it sort of pans out with like a frame around the photo is upside down. Maybe it's just me.

Also, there's actually a Google Play Edition of the Moto G out in America now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

There's a debate on XDA about switching to ART, consensus seems to be to stick with Davlik until ART is officially released.

This discussion, I know there are many.....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2531342

Screenshot%202014-01-15%2002.31.40.jpg

The poll is overwhelmingly supportive of ART. I will keep it for a while, a couple of weeks, then switch back and see if I consider the system slower overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Does upgrading to Kitkat affect your ability to root etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just upgraded. I feel the camera is better, and the dialer app finally lets me find contacts through the abc keypad, but the transitions don't feel as smooth...it doesn't have that same 60fps jump like before. It's minor but it's just annoying. Kind of disappointed at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Also, that "cast screen" in Settings/Display....

does nada....

no setting option with it (three vertical dots), for Miracast on/off, to enabled devices, does not work with my LG smart TV.

The TV does not see Moto either!!!

My Nexus 7 2013 on KK works perfectly, had settings, can be found by and can find a Miracast device.

Looks like they don't wanna let the Moto compete directly with Nexus,so this is crippled, unless someone can show me different....

no screen mirroring!!!

But, that aside, this is a fantastic little phone, made better by KK!!
    Yeah. Not impressed with the lack of screen casting to my miracast dongle. I assume it's the same for chromecast? Or have they been able to knoble it in such a way that it only works with chromecast? Has anyone tested?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've a Moto G from Amazon waiting for me in Parcel Motel, does anyone know if the Sim Free ones (non-tesco) lock to a network when a Sim is put in?

It's for my wife's birthday at the start of Feb, and I want to use it for a day or two with my own Sim in it.

Would it be an issue if I put a Vodafone Sim into it, and she wanted to use a 3 one later on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Has anyone on KitKat installed to Google Experience Launcher yet ? Apart from the transparent app drawer and integration of Google Now, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Has anyone on KitKat installed to Google Experience Launcher yet ? Apart from the transparent app drawer and integration of Google Now, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile doing.

I did, I wanted to have some fun saying "Ok Google" :)

But after a while I switched back to Nova, as it has those themes anyway but I just prefer the extra options available to me with Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Ging Ging wrote: »
    I got the red flip cover today, don't really like the colour now I see it. Ah well.

Same here, got my red flip cover a week ago and it's far to much on the pink side of red for my liking, was hoping for a deeper red..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

mystic86 wrote: »
    Same here, got my red flip cover a week ago and it's far to much on the pink side of red for my liking, was hoping for a deeper red..
    Might I suggest the white, it's very stylish and looks / feels expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you think ? After I read the first post about it I was thinking it might be too pink, but mine is darker than I was expecting so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I did, I wanted to have some fun saying "Ok Google" :)

But after a while I switched back to Nova, as it has those themes anyway but I just prefer the extra options available to me with Nova.

Can you not just say OK Google on the stock kk without the launcher? AFAIK you can you just need your language set to ENG(US)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

projectgtr wrote: »
    Can you not just say OK Google on the stock kk without the launcher? AFAIK you can you just need your language set to ENG(US)

Only on the n5 i think, there is some app you can get it to to the same on other phones but I'd say it'd drain the battery like nobodies business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Does anyone know if the disabling of USB Host in KitKat prevents USB devices such as mice/keyboards from working or is it just storage devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Got this phone Saturday, really impressed so far! Poor camera, but it cost €149 so no complaints from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Got Moto g from amazon last week have meteor sim in it.
    got the 4.4 update today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

There is not a massive difference between kitkat and jellybean really. I miss the cool blue colour on the top bar but now its white. Maybe I was just use to it since ice cream sandwich. I'm interested to try out the new printing option though.
    I'm abit confused about the transparent nav buttons. I was under the impression these would give me more screen size when browsing the net but they remain black? On my home screen they are transparent but that's it as far as I can see? I was looking forward to them being transparent...when gaming their still black and not transparent either....
    My camera ia faster taking shots in HDR mode which is way better.

Have you guys done a factory reset after the upgrade or just did what I did and OTA upgrade and leave it at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

pearsefitz wrote: »
    Got Moto g from amazon last week have meteor sim in it.
    got the 4.4 update today :)

is it locked to meteor now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The only difference I noticed in my short play last night was that the alarm clock is new!!

And also, its fixed that bug with not being able to install APKs.

• Advertisement

My notification led didn't work at all with 4.3 and still doesnt work on kitkat? However liteflow app makes it work no problem on 4.3 and kitkat.. I dont understand that?

Is there still a notification bug going on with these phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mondeo wrote: »
    My notification led didn't work at all with 4.3 and still doesnt work on kitkat? However liteflow app makes it work no problem on 4.3 and kitkat.. I dont understand that?

Is there still a notification bug going on with these phones?

There is a notification widget, linked earlier in this thread you can download, add to your homescreen, turn on and then remove from the screen which fixes that problem.

On a side note....

I sideloaded the Gel launcher today and it's working like a dream tho I do miss having extra homescreen's to the left of the main homescreen. Google now popping up from a left swipe of the screen is cool but it's kind of limited in Ireland from my experience( maybe that's just me?). The "OK Google" commands are working perfectly tho once the phone is active.

Venom wrote: »
    There is a notification widget, linked earlier in this thread you can download, add to your homescreen, turn on and then remove from the screen which fixes that problem.

On a side note....

I sideloaded the Gel launcher today and it's working like a dream tho I do miss having extra homescreen's to the left of the main homescreen. Google now popping up from a left swipe of the screen is cool but it's kind of limited in Ireland from my experience( maybe that's just me?). The "OK Google" commands are working perfectly tho once the phone is active.

That led notification widget works great. However it didn't work ok on 4.3.. At least now I dont have to use liteflow anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm almost sure I saw an issue with other people regarding the notification LED.

I think it was to do with your settings on your previous phone being synced with Google. Then when you get your new phone, it downloads the settings and applies them.
    I'm guessing the logic is that you back up more than your standard settings, like there'd be some back ground settings backed up too. So maybe if your previous phone didnt have a notificatin LED, then there'd be a setting to disable that functionality, which would be sync'd and restored to your Moto G for some reason. Thats a guess but I'm sure I heard ppl having LED issues. You should be able to google for a fix.

EDIT: Here you go. Official fix from Motorola: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.ledwidget

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm almost sure I saw an issue with other people regarding the notification LED.

I think it was to do with your settings on your previous phone being synced with Google. Then when you get your new phone, it downloads the settings and applies them.
    I'm guessing the logic is that you back up more than your standard settings, like there'd be some back ground settings backed up too. So maybe if your previous phone didnt have a notificatin LED, then there'd be a setting to disable that functionality, which would be sync'd and restored to your Moto G for some reason. Thats a guess but I'm sure I heard ppl having LED issues. You should be able to google for a fix.

EDIT: Here you go. Official fix from Motorola: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.ledwidget

My old phone did have an led so I dont know. Anyways that widget works great on kitkat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't have the Google Experience Launcher on my update, at least it doesn't look new...any reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I don't have the Google Experience Launcher on my update, at least it doesn't look new...any reason for that?

Its a Nexus 5 exclusive unless you install it yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cydoniac wrote: »

The GEL launcher is a Nexus 5 exclusive. You can download the apk file and side load it tho. The link below shows how....

http://www.howtogeek.com/176009/how-to-install-and-use-the-google-experience-launcher-on-any-android-device/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Venom wrote: »
    The GEL launcher is a Nexus 5 exclusive. You can download the apk file and side load it tho. The link below shows how....

http://www.howtogeek.com/176009/how-to-install-and-use-the-google-experience-launcher-on-any-android-device/

Do I need to have the phone rooted to sideload?

Edit: Nope read the article thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

What's hp print service plugin?

Advertisement