Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer products that you are glad you missed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Still have a VHS.Only keep it cos there's a clock on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

893bet wrote: »
    Blue ray

There's nothing worse than spending hundreds on a full HDTV only to watch DVDs on it. It completely defeats the purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

shenmue games 1 and 2. I'm a PC gamer. But even today on youtube the final good ending sequence to Shenmue 2 looks breathtaking. :cool: Also glad I've missed out on Mario and that fcuking Sonic. No I never bought a game for these franchises either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Never had a Minidisc but did own an MP3 CD walkman. Also had a DVD-RAM recorder which never took off in popularity.

Missed out on Blu-Ray/HD - can't say I'm too unhappy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

a mini disc would have been the one that im glad passed me by,i only ever knew one person that bought one and even she reckoned it was junk after a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    How anyone can live without a dishwasher is beyond me. That's wasted time you'll never get back. It's like cutting the grass with a scythe

I like it tbh. I like the almost hot water, sponge full of water and soap, the bubbles, just getting a dirty glass, giving it a good clean out with a J-Cloth and holding a sparkling clean glass up to the window is satisfying to me sometimes.

I'll admit there's days I hate facing into a pile of dishes but there's only two of us and I'm happy enough at the moment. I'm not ruling out getting one in the future.
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    Strimmer, quicker and more efficient! :D

Sorry again Redzer, but I disagree strongly. I was taught how to use a scythe when I was a kid and when properly used it's way, way faster than a strimmer. We've a petrol powered strimmer that we share with two neighbours, I rarely use it as the scythe is quicker. If you've the time, on a nice summers day, the sound of the scythe swishing through grass and listening to the insects and birds beats the racket off the strimmer any day. Strimmer is handy for a couple of awkward jobs but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

6541 wrote: »
    I missed out on, CD and DVD. Went straight from vinyl and VHS to digital.
    I missed out on independent (Stand Alone) digital cameras went straight to smartphone.
    For what it's worth both CDs and DVDs are digital, in the case of DVDs there's a clue in the name.

I missed VHS though did have to suffer cassette tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sega Dreamcast.
    Held out for the Ps2 instead...

Great console. Most original games ever. Such a shame it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Daqster wrote: »
    I am a complete technophile.

Even had a Mini Disc Walkman.

Yup, I was the guy that bought it.

Minidics were the business. We sold loads in my old job when they were out. Loads of journalists used them because they were great for sound recording and so easy to edit on. I recorded a mates gig on one years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I missed out on, CD and DVD. Went straight from vinyl and VHS to digital.
    I missed out on independent (Stand Alone) digital cameras went straight to smartphone.

Why are you glad you missed out on digital cameras? They're still way better than smartphones. Film is a pile of crap *

*awaits camera hipsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I miss out on nearly everything. Bar my smartphone (which someone else researched and bought), and this wind up laptop, the most technically advanced thing in the house is the dishwasher (it has 8 different programs AND a timer). Actually, it might have a bigger chip inside it than the laptop has.

I say 'miss out', but I am not into gadgets, so I really don't feel I'm missing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Minidics were the business. We sold loads in my old job when they were out.

Where did you work? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I miss out on most consumer gadgety things. I don't buy anything for myself that isn't makeup shoes or dresses. I've owned two phones since 2008, my laptop is 4 and a half years old and I haven't had a charger for it since last year. No iPod/mp3, no tablet, no tv in my room, no game consoles. I miss out on most social media too. I have Facebook but no Instagram and don't know how to work twitter.

Nice things are wasted on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Overly priced iproducts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

I missed out on getting on the property ladder just before the recession hit. I feel sorry for anybody starting out who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭6541

I missed out on getting on the property ladder just before the recession hit. I feel sorry for anybody starting out who did.

I like you missed this, but it is one not to be proud of as debt forgiveness is on the way. So you could have had many houses and now they are just going to wipe the slate clean !!! Not a good one to have missed out on !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Still use mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

I like you missed this, but it is one not to be proud of as debt forgiveness is on the way. So you could have had many houses and now they are just going to wipe the slate clean !!! Not a good one to have missed out on !

They've been sayin that for ages but no sign of it yet. Still, the last couples of years would of put years on your life and for what? A stupid house?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Love having a dishwasher...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Red Kev wrote: »
    Dishwasher. I've never lived in a house that has one, and I still haven't got around to buying one as I'm just as happy doing them by hand. Actually I haven't a clue how to use one, though can't think it's too difficult. I do know how to load them though.

I like doing the dishes by hand. I've developed the perfect system for doing the big wash-ups using the least amount of water (anything with potato in it gets washed last in the old water and then re-washed in fresh water to get those grainy bits off.

I like doing the washing so much that I get annoyed when people offer to help with the drying up. Feck off, you're ruining my system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dishwasher is always a much cleaner than hand washed. The temperature is generally higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Linkedin

JOSman wrote: »
    Ran my minidisc last night, still sounded great. Just a flop from Sony.
    Minidisks were a good idea but could not compete with MP3 players once the mini hard drives became cheap
    It was a right pain in the arse to burn the mini-disks from CDs though but the plastic casing meant they never got scratched and you could fit way more music into your rucksack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Apple products, have a real dislike for iTunes and how tied into apple products people get.

Same, i hate apple products and how taken in and obsessed people are with them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Minidiscs were great at the time and it was so easy to just copy a CD, 1 click and you had a perfect copy. I even had a few players imported from Japan. MP3 players at the time could only hold around 32MB worth of music, usually in really poor quality. Even todays MP3 players are inferior in terms of sound quality.

Not sure how anyone can live without a dishwasher, the only thing more important in the house is a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Betamax surely?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Red Kev wrote: »
    Dishwasher. I've never lived in a house that has one, and I still haven't got around to buying one as I'm just as happy doing them by hand. Actually I haven't a clue how to use one, though can't think it's too difficult. I do know how to load them though.

Never owned a VCR either, didn't have one as a kid as they were mad expensive and we didn't have the dosh, now we have 3 DVD players.

Toasted sandwich machine. Never got around to getting one, no cash for it when we were kids. Not mad keen on getting one as I tend to burn the skin off me mouth with them anyway.

Video games/Playstation/PS 3 etc etc. Nope, never had one, played on one a couple of times. (I'm in my early 40's BTW) :-)
    We're twins save for the VCR part.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    You didn't really miss out on those, they're still the best way to take a photo. Smartphone cameras while improving are still pretty terrible.
    +1. and unless they change the laws of optics it's gonna be damned difficult to equal a standalone camera with a phone camera. Nerds gush over and manufacturers pimp the megapixels, but it soon gets to a point where it's all about the lens(plus smaller pixels make for less light gathering). They're great for candid shots and the like, but wont replace a standalone camera for enthusiasts or pros anytime soon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

When I look back at family photos, you can see a really nice progression in the quality of the photos through the generations

Really old pictures in grainy black and white, then colour, then the point and click cameras which were usually washed out or too dark, then as better cameras became more affordable, the photos became crisper and brighter up until about the mid 90s when digital cameras became popular and the quallity started to match that of film cameras so there was a transition where the quality of the photos reduced slightly but they were more convenient so the quantity increased dramatically.
    Then 2008 when the quality of pictures takes a massive nose dive as people start to rely on their smart phone cameras more and more and leave the digital cameras at home.

So looking back at my own family photo album. Pictures of my granny - rubbush
    pictures of my parents as kids, rubbish
    pictures of me as a baby, better but still rubbish
    pictures of me in secondary school - quite good actually
    pictures of me in College - sharp as a pin
    Pictures of my first child - beautiful, high resolution
    Pictures of my 3rd child - mostly rubbish again, low res dark and blurry.

Television. Never really liked it growing up. Do not own one now.

I am also in the never had one - dont want one - dishwasher group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I had one too, absolutely loved it, only changed over when I was gifted an ipod for my birthday.

Advertisement